New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: T. D. on June 26, 2020, 07:06:06 PM
Thanks. That is an interesting release, but a little too subtle for me. In the Cantor vein, someone should (maybe it's already happened?) compose a piece referencing Gödel's incompleteness theorems (whose proofs utilize a Cantor diagonalization process)!

It did motivate me to take a deeper look at the Another Timbre catalog, beyond the "name" (Cage, Feldman) composers.
Just to start with, John Lely's The Harmonics of Real Strings, Richard Glover's Logical Harmonies, Catherine Lamb's three bodies (moving) [a physics nerd title!], Evans-Weiler/Pisaro Lines and Tracings and  Illogical Harmonies' Volume all got my attention.

A lot to explore in that catalog, online for the moment as I'm not sure whether the recordings would have enough "staying power" to purchase after my recent Cage Number Pieces binge.

Try Cassandra Miller - Warblewalk especially but maybe also the Duet for Cello and Orchestra.

The concept of duo seems to be big at the moment - I blame Christian Wolff.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

T. D.

Quote from: Mandryka on June 27, 2020, 08:27:12 AM
Try Cassandra Miller - Warblewalk especially but maybe also the Duet for Cello and Orchestra.

The concept of duo seems to be big at the moment - I blame Christian Wolff.

Thanks, I listened to some AT streams and concur on Miller! Duet for VC + Orch. is impressive. The only string quartet streamable excerpt was About Bach, which I also enjoyed.
I noticed Catherine Lamb has another physics nerd title, Point/Wave for (classical, thankfully) guitar + electronics. I rather liked it, definitely subtle but not to the extent of Beuger's Cantor Quartets. I'm a sucker for those geeky themes.  :laugh:

kyjo

Quote from: Roy Bland on June 26, 2020, 06:01:10 PM

IMHO Forgotten records is doing a great work with French Music of last century.

Excellent! Great to see more Damase being released on disc. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Initial skimming suggests that there are some attractive renditions of familiar music by Frescobaldi, Mayone and other people of a similar ilk. Very nicely recorded. The style is often more inward looking than flashy. Lovely lovely ricercar by Mayone.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Symphonic Addict

I liked the first release of Braga Santos' chamber music on Toccata, so I'll be expecting this as well:

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Mirror Image

This looks like it is already out in Europe, but not available in the US until August:

André

vandermolen

Quote from: André on July 03, 2020, 10:03:31 AM
Thanks, I'll explore that one when it's available !
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Todd

BIS should just release all the volumes right now.

I dig both artists.  Do I need such a recording, though?  Probably.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Heads-up my fellow Respighians:

I need another Roman Trilogy like I need a hole in my head, but I'll probably end up buying this.

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 04, 2020, 06:04:36 PM

I need another Roman Trilogy like I need a hole in my head, but I'll probably end up buying this.

I already have a bunch of holes in my head with my mouth, nostrils, and ears which all serve me well so why not another?  The Roman Trilogy is so much fun, I'm always up for a new release in stunning high fidelity.

Brian

Quote from: relm1 on July 05, 2020, 06:11:01 AM
I already have a bunch of holes in my head with my mouth, nostrils, and ears which all serve me well so why not another?  The Roman Trilogy is so much fun, I'm always up for a new release in stunning high fidelity.
How do you like the BIS SACD? I remember playing that one for my parents and in the slow birdsong movement of "Pines," they said to turn the volume up because they couldn't hear...then the final march started and the windows rattled  ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on July 05, 2020, 06:11:01 AM

That's the spirit! :P I'm with you. These Respighi works are fun, indeed.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on July 05, 2020, 06:54:21 AM
How do you like the BIS SACD? I remember playing that one for my parents and in the slow birdsong movement of "Pines," they said to turn the volume up because they couldn't hear...then the final march started and the windows rattled  ;D

Yes, the dynamic range on that particular recording is rather wide. Neschling's isn't my favorite Roman Trilogy, but it certainly isn't 'bad' or anything.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 04, 2020, 06:04:36 PM

The same team who performed the Korngold's Symphony in a fierce rendition, so this must be very exciting too.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Brian

original version of the 4th

Mozart 19 + 27
Francesco Piemontesi
Scottish Chamber Orchestra
Andrew Manze
Linn

DAS LIED VON DER ERDE
Composer(s):   MAHLER, GUSTAV
Artist(s):   RUNDFUNK-SINFONIEORCHESTER BERLIN JUROWSKI CONNOLLY SMITH
Label:   PENTATONE MUSIC (PEN)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 05, 2020, 04:05:24 PM
The same team who performed the Korngold's Symphony in a fierce rendition, so this must be very exciting too.

I certainly hope so!