New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Brian on July 23, 2020, 06:50:04 AM
Are you even ready to start thinking about SEPTEMBER

These for me. I wish the Aho had been the 6th or one of the last symphonies.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 23, 2020, 05:27:39 PM

Yes, but, at least, we're finally getting the 5th on BIS. I'm sure the 6th will get recorded by them at some point. Curiously, I'm surprised about the last symphonies, I thought BIS would've got around to them sooner.

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on July 23, 2020, 06:50:04 AM
Are you even ready to start thinking about SEPTEMBER

I've been thinking about September for weeks, because it will get warmer...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vers la flamme

62 minutes is toooo slow for Mahler 4. But I'll be curious to hear it. (Probably won't buy it though).

Biffo

Quote from: Itullian on July 23, 2020, 09:29:54 AM
i actually like this 60s one better.

For me, the major drawback with the 1960s cycle is the Siegmund of Windgassen - not his role at all, painful to listen to.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on July 11, 2020, 02:18:17 PM

Didn't catch that the first time around.  Piemontesi is one of the better pianists tickling the ivories, so of course I will buy.  Alas, Linn, despite its high end audio credentials, typically isn't up to snuff sonically.  Maybe I've just purchased the wrong Linn releases.

A couple other items:

Um, yes, please!

Do I need a HIP Violin Sonata cycle?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

MusicTurner

Quote from: Mandryka on July 25, 2020, 10:53:28 PM

It's been on the market for quite some time now, years I think. Generally a good set IMHO, with a lot to explore as well. In the case of one of the minor (?) composers, there is only sound in one of the loudspeakers, at least in my set (I'm not at home & can't check which one). Also, in the case of Busoni one needs more works, and for Respighi, the Naxos/Sherbakov is better musically.

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 23, 2020, 05:27:39 PM
Wow! What a great selection Cesar.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 26, 2020, 12:40:53 AM
It's been on the market for quite some time now, years I think. Generally a good set IMHO, with a lot to explore as well. In the case of one of the minor (?) composers, there is only sound in one of the loudspeakers, at least in my set (I'm not at home & can't check which one). Also, in the case of Busoni one needs more works, and for Respighi, the Naxos/Sherbakov is better musically.

These big Brilliant sets are available very cheap as Amazon downloads.  This set is a case in point - the 20 Cd's worth downloaded for under £10.00.  Not heard it in any format but perhaps the low Amazon bit rates won't be such an issue with solo keyboard?

Todd

Another Covid release, further monetizing the streaming series.

Todd

Some piano releases of no little interest.

Mandryka

Mandryka

Released a year ago but I didn't notice. The music is good, and the sound of the ensemble is interesting - the polar opposite of L'Archeron.

Mandryka

The central pieces are chamber arrangements of Skempton's concerto for accordion and oboe, and his concerto for hurdy-gurdy  and percussion.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on July 27, 2020, 08:01:04 PMThe music is good, and the sound of the ensemble is interesting - the polar opposite of L'Archeron.

You are not a fan of L'Achéron?  :)

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on July 27, 2020, 11:34:33 PM
You are not a fan of L'Achéron?  :)

I'm interested in what they do, at least when they play composers I enjoy, especially from the balance of sound point of view. I'd like to hear them live very much.

Ooh, I forgot, hearing live is from le monde d'avant.

Mookalafalas

Historical set.

[asin]B089J59ZFK[/asin]
It's all good...

Roy Bland

Todd

It's about time.

So, um, how much do you like ballet music?