New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holden

Quote from: Madiel on August 08, 2020, 03:25:20 PM
So, not so much "deluxe" as "cut price".  :laugh:

Anything Bang Bang plays should be cut price.
Cheers

Holden

Todd

A must-buy.

Kinda thinkin' yeah.

Kinda thinkin' maybe.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Undersea

Released 11th September:

Blurb (from Presto):

• Bach's music is often described as indestructible, in the sense that no matter how it is performed or in whichever arrangement, its essential spirit survives. In the Baroque period the practice of arranging one's own music or that of other composers was common place, and Bach himself was an indefatigable transcriber and arranger, using his own music to multiple purposes. Besides saving time and creative energy it gave the opportunity to other instrumentalists to play music of such high quality and universal value.

• This set contains 20 CDs with arrangements and transcriptions of Bach's works, for a wide variety of instruments or instrumental combinations: recorder quintet, guitar, string trio, saxophone and even a full symphony orchestra!

• In whatever way we hear music of Bach, his genius and universal message of beauty, truth and humanity shines through!

No contents list (yet)...

aligreto

Quote from: Holden on August 08, 2020, 03:59:19 PM
Anything Bang Bang plays should be cut price.

Yes, but you get more Bang for your buck  ;D

prémont

Quote from: Undersea on August 08, 2020, 08:13:34 PM
Released 11th September:

Blurb (from Presto):

• Bach's music is often described as indestructible, in the sense that no matter how it is performed or in whichever arrangement, its essential spirit survives. In the Baroque period the practice of arranging one's own music or that of other composers was common place, and Bach himself was an indefatigable transcriber and arranger, using his own music to multiple purposes. Besides saving time and creative energy it gave the opportunity to other instrumentalists to play music of such high quality and universal value.

• This set contains 20 CDs with arrangements and transcriptions of Bach's works, for a wide variety of instruments or instrumental combinations: recorder quintet, guitar, string trio, saxophone and even a full symphony orchestra!

• In whatever way we hear music of Bach, his genius and universal message of beauty, truth and humanity shines through!

No contents list (yet)...

Contents here:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/bach-transcriptions/hnum/10234911
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

JBS

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 09, 2020, 02:59:31 AM
Contents here:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/bach-transcriptions/hnum/10234911

I have to admit the idea of the Suites for 'cello transcribed for baritone saxophone never occurred to me.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

This release is interesting to me because it contains Bruno Mantovani's 6th quartet, presumably given as an encore to an all Beethoven (yuck!) programme.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

Having inherited a collection of the other Mantovani's records from my grandparents, I am always confused by references to Bruno Mantovani, who could not be more different!

Todd has posted some brief thoughts on the Kuss box though not the Bruno.

prémont

Quote from: JBS on August 09, 2020, 06:14:04 PM
I have to admit the idea of the Suites for 'cello transcribed for baritone saxophone never occurred to me.

Some years ago I purchased the CDs with the cello/saxophone arrangement, but they ended in the bin.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Todd

100 discs of Karl Richter.

Now that the Francois complete set is back, how long until the Cziffra set is reissued?  That's the one I didn't buy when I should have.

I'd be more interested were it Thurston Howell III.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

These singers are quite interesting I think, they've produced recordings of early Danish and Swedish music. I expect this new one will be essential listening for me, though I've never heard of Wizlaw von Rügen.

https://www.clicmusique.com/mare-balticum-vol-wizlaw-von-rugen-integrale-des-melodies-budzinska-bennett-p-106490.html?osCsid=dc7920247bb2a25cdb6cee75a30a1732

Mandryka

First impressions are that it's a bit jaunty.

Mandryka

Mandryka

Lovely instrument well recorded, this is a goody I think (on the basis of less than 5 minutes random dipping.)

Mandryka

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8791158--die-welt-ist-toll

Oooo, I like this voice! In small doses at least, lots of character! Countertenor and flute, who's have thunk it would work so nicely? Good music too, if you like that sort of thing, Renaissance songs.

Good cover too.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on August 12, 2020, 12:47:07 PM

Lovely instrument well recorded, this is a goody I think (on the basis of less than 5 minutes random dipping.)

Anything by Paolo Cherici is mandatory for me.

Thanks for posting! :)

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on August 12, 2020, 12:52:52 PM
Anything by Paolo Cherici is mandatory for me.

Thanks for posting! :)

Q

Yes that's the one I picked to listen to properly tonight.

JBS

It appears Naxos is releasing a recording of Bach's Cello Suites transcribed for piano in October.

This tweet from the pianist includes a one minute clip
https://mobile.twitter.com/EleonorBindman/status/1292463800843743233

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ras

Not sure this July release of Minkowski doing Mozart's Mass in C minor has been mentioned:

[asin]B088GMHTKK[/asin]
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Ras

Beethoven 7  - Ozawa with an obscure Japanese orchestra (Sept. 4):

[asin]B07QLVRJ6P[/asin]

Harmonia Mundi is releasing a box with all of Liszt's Beethoven symphony-transcriptions (for piano) played by various pianists - it seems to be a box that consists of previously released recordings?
Here are the pianists:
Paul Badura-Skoda (piano)
Michel Dalberto (piano)
Jean-Louis Haguenauer (piano)
Jean-Claude Pennetier (piano)
Alain Planes (piano)
Georges Pludermacher (piano)
I couldn't find it on amazon.de, but this site has it listed:
https://www.europadisc.co.uk/classical/148250/Beethoven-Liszt_-_The_Symphonies_transcribed_for_piano.htm
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen