New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on October 11, 2020, 01:55:22 AM

Actually Bertoldo's music sounds like it's worth listening to. The organ has no bass at all, and it doesn't produce any interesting scrunch harmonies - I can't see the specs online, though apparently they're in the booklet.

That does not mean the sound is bad, I have it already, and sampling a few track, I would say, let's forget about the bass and enjoy what is on offer. there is enough "Scrunch" to my ears at least. :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mandryka

Quote from: "Harry" on October 11, 2020, 06:29:53 AM
That does not mean the sound is bad, I have it already, and sampling a few track, I would say, let's forget about the bass and enjoy what is on offer. there is enough "Scrunch" to my ears at least. :)

Totally agreed
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Mico is a new name for me, sounds like it's good music, this. Lots of twists and turns which have caught my attention.

A bumper year for the viol!

Mandryka

Quote from: "Harry" on October 11, 2020, 06:29:53 AM

One of the two organs seems to have a bit more scrunchiness than the other.  (By the way, I think it's only me who talks about scrunchy harmonies, I wouldn't want you to think it was The Queen's English. I mean, not HRH . . . )

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on October 10, 2020, 01:44:53 PM

How modern they sound in 1016, because they really do give equal prominence to both instruments. A really revealing performance which makes me think that this may be a worthwhile set to explore.

And look at the cover - it's an Ammer. No booklet information unfortunately.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 12, 2020, 01:22:00 PM
How modern they sound in 1016, because they really do give equal prominence to both instruments. A really revealing performance which makes me think that this may be a worthwhile set to explore.

So one more mandatory recording, along with the violin/organ version you posted above. :)

PS: Jürgen Ammer has since long made period harpsichord copies.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Brian

"Piemontesi explores the tradition of Bach transcriptions for piano. This tradition started in the nineteenth-century, found its most prominent exponent in Busoni, and is still alive today, as Schnaus's transcription of Kommst du nun, Jesu, vom Himmel herunter demonstrates. Despite using an instrument not yet existing in the composer's time, Busoni and others sought to interpret Bach's music with utmost reverence and study, expanding our notions of authenticity and Werktreue. For Piemontesi, playing Bach through the eyes of Busoni, Kempff and Schnaus incites a sense of nostalgia, re-establishing the ties to a rich pianistic tradition."

This release is now scheduled for April (!) 2021

Sooner:

1911 version of Petrushka + sadly the Sargent suite from Boutique rather than the whole ballet. 54' CD

bhodges

Oooh, a new Music for 18 Musicians! Still one of my faves, and one of Reich's best. Don't know Ensemble LINKS, but if Kairos is recording them, that's a rec, all on its own.

--Bruce

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on October 12, 2020, 01:22:00 PM

I'm not surprised!  :)

Q

Brian

FYI: Behzod Abduraimov has signed with Alpha. First recital up will reportedly be Mussorgsky Pictures + some Chopin preludes + Debussy Children's Corner, an eccentric trio to share a disc...

Todd

Quote from: Brian on October 14, 2020, 05:48:41 AM
FYI: Behzod Abduraimov has signed with Alpha. First recital up will reportedly be Mussorgsky Pictures + some Chopin preludes + Debussy Children's Corner, an eccentric trio to share a disc...

I hope they let him loose in the studio.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brian

In December Naxos will begin series dedicated to the orchestral music of Alexander Mosolov and Viteslav Novak. Details coming early next week at the latest.

Symphonic Addict

Very interesting news for both composers. Let's hope Novák's symphonies will be recorded, or stuff that has not seen the light of day yet.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Brian

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 15, 2020, 01:45:37 PM
Very interesting news for both composers. Let's hope Novák's symphonies will be recorded, or stuff that has not seen the light of day yet.
It's marked Complete Orchestral Works Volume 1, so there's hope! (But they're starting with Toman and the Wood Nymph, the second recording of that work this year!!)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Brian on October 15, 2020, 01:58:15 PM
It's marked Complete Orchestral Works Volume 1, so there's hope! (But they're starting with Toman and the Wood Nymph, the second recording of that work this year!!)

That's very promising indeed. Thanks for the good news.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 15, 2020, 02:13:46 PM
This disc has been out a year - it is very good.

Oh, thanks - only just been reviewed.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 15, 2020, 01:45:37 PM
+1 although what is most needed is a new recording of Novák's choral/orchestral masterpiece 'The Storm' - one of the greatest 20th Century choral works IMO. Still. This is exciting news indeed and thanks for letting us know.

Roy Bland