New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: Todd on October 10, 2020, 11:09:57 AM
One day, there will be no new recordings that interest me.  Today is not that day.

I bought that as a hi-res download the other day--it's excellent.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on October 16, 2020, 10:06:20 AM

http://frabernardo.com/?portfolio=gombert-masses-beauty-farm#tab-id-3

This tops without a doubt the atrociousness of any cover featured  before, but I hope the quality of the performances is better than anything they did before.

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on October 16, 2020, 10:27:48 AM
This tops without a doubt the atrociousness of any cover featured  before, but I hope the quality of the performances is better than anything they did before.

Q

There's a sneak peek of the credo of one of the masses on streaming platforms, sounds like a Titelouze organ piece with voices instead of organ,

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on October 15, 2020, 10:33:04 PM
+1 although what is most needed is a new recording of Novák's choral/orchestral masterpiece 'The Storm' - one of the greatest 20th Century choral works IMO. Still. This is exciting news indeed and thanks for letting us know.

Oh yes, I had forgot The Storm. A more recent recording is more than welcome.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Todd

Mejoueva's second complete cycle.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on October 16, 2020, 11:28:37 AM
There's a sneak peek of the credo of one of the masses on streaming platforms, sounds like a Titelouze organ piece with voices instead of organ,

I tried to get my mind around that metaphor, but I guess I have to hear it for myself.  :D

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on October 16, 2020, 11:59:04 PM
I tried to get my mind around that metaphor, but I guess I have to hear it for myself.  :D

It's sometimes said, maybe Wili Appel was the first to say it, that Gombert's polyphonic sacred music, in particular the magnificats, is the inspiration of the whole baroque tradition of imitative polyphony on organ. And Titelouze is one of the founding fathers of that organ tradition.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on October 17, 2020, 12:26:23 AM
It's sometimes said, maybe Wili Appel was the first to say it, that Gombert's polyphonic sacred music, in particular the magnificats, is the inspiration of the whole baroque tradition of imitative polyphony on organ. And Titelouze is one of the founding fathers of that organ tradition.

Thnx for the explanation!  :)

Todd

Cover shot finally.

Ólafsson already gets the complete recordings treatment.

Another version can't hurt.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Madiel

Quote from: Que on October 16, 2020, 10:27:48 AM

Q

And here was I thinking that was actually one of the more pleasant Beauty Farm covers. Which isn't saying much, I grant you.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

Brian

Hadn't seen this one anywhere until now but it's downloadable on eClassical.

Brian

Some DECEMBER news

Not just premiere recordings of the Mosolov works, but the first ever performance of the harp concerto.

A real contender for the Worst Album Covers thread:

(feat. Vivaldi, Locatelli, three less famous guys)

ritter

A new recording of chamber music by Reynaldo Hahn (the two String Quartets, and the Romance in A major for violin and piano):

This is the link to Amazon France.

The artists and the label are unknown to me. The CD is released "with the support of the Palazzetto Bru Zane".

Release date is October 23rd.

Brian

Quote from: ritter on October 19, 2020, 11:43:10 AM
A new recording of chamber music by Reynaldo Hahn (the two String Quartets, and the Romance in A major for violin and piano):

This is the link to Amazon France.

The artists and the label are unknown to me. The CD is released "with the support of the Palazzetto Bru Zane".

Release date is October 23rd.
That is music I would be really interested in hearing, but the cover art is not helping.  ;D

Ivan Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra succeeded in recording Brahms 3 to complete their Brahms cycle just a few weeks ago (with Serenade No. 2), but their planned Beethoven 9 is canceled for at least another year or two.

Roy Bland

I have to indicate that Mosolov's symphony is a premiere .It was played first time 26/1/2019 at Great Hall of Moscow Conservatory and it was his last work dedicated to wife Nina.

André

Quote from: Roy Bland on October 19, 2020, 03:40:20 PM
I have to indicate that Mosolov's symphony is a premiere .It was played first time 26/1/2019 at Great Hall of Moscow Conservatory and it was his last work dedicated to wife Nina.

I know Mosolov for his short orchestral work The Iron Foundry. I wasn't aware he had composed symphonies. How are they ?

André

The disc of orchestral works by Novák is labeled vol. 1. That's interesting !