New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Coming in March:

I was hoping Hahn was going to be performing some chamber music from Debussy, Ravel, Fauré, Poulenc, Milhaud, etc., but we get instead is this strange program of works for violin and orchestra. Sorry, Hilary, but I'll pass.

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 25, 2021, 02:27:29 PM
Coming in March:

I was hoping Hahn was going to be performing some chamber music from Debussy, Ravel, Fauré, Poulenc, Milhaud, etc., but we get instead is this strange program of works for violin and orchestra. Sorry, Hilary, but I'll pass.

But, but MI!  I don't think we've ever had a Hilary Hahn disc with this much décollatage!   The Prokofiev VC1 and a Rautavaara piece written for her sound somewhat interesting to me.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on January 25, 2021, 02:56:01 PM
But, but MI!  I don't think we've ever had a Hilary Hahn disc with this much décollatage!   The Prokofiev VC1 and a Rautavaara piece written for her sound somewhat interesting to me.

I remember seeing a video of Hahn performing Prokofiev's VC1 that was quite good. In fact, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/v/YHUxOsWb7wI

Mirror Image

Coming in February:

This looks like an interesting program and I'm definitely in no dire need of more Berg in my collection, but I was hugely impressed with MTT's performance of Three Pieces for Orchestra that was previously only available as a download. With this performance in mind, I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this recording. Probably will do some sampling as Shaham is someone I wouldn't associate with performing Berg's Violin Concerto --- not that he isn't more than capable of performing the work, but I'm talking more or less from an interpretative point-of-view.

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 25, 2021, 04:00:19 PM
Coming in February:

This looks like an interesting program and I'm definitely in no dire need of more Berg in my collection, but I was hugely impressed with MTT's performance of Three Pieces for Orchestra that was previously only available as a download. With this performance in mind, I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this recording. Probably will do some sampling as Shaham is someone I wouldn't associate with performing Berg's Violin Concerto --- not that he isn't more than capable of performing the work, but I'm talking more or less from an interpretative point-of-view.

Sign me up for this.  Looks fascinating!

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 25, 2021, 04:00:19 PM
Coming in February:

This would be his third recording of the Berg. What's a guy gotta do to be associated with a work?  His second recording on his own Canary Classics label is my favorite recording of the Berg.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on January 25, 2021, 04:14:16 PM
This would be his third recording of the Berg. What's a guy gotta do to be associated with a work?  His second recording on his own Canary Classics label is my favorite recording of the Berg.

No, you misunderstood what I meant. What I'm saying is I don't associate Shaham with the Second Viennese School. As I said, he's more more than capable of performing the Berg in his sleep, but I'm not sure interpretatively he's someone I would want to hear in the work.

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 25, 2021, 04:30:09 PM
No, you misunderstood what I meant. What I'm saying is I don't associate Shaham with the Second Viennese School. As I said, he's more more than capable of performing the Berg in his sleep, but I'm not sure interpretatively he's someone I would want to hear in the work.

Shaham's interpretation of the Berg is excellent.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on January 25, 2021, 06:04:52 PM
Shaham's interpretation of the Berg is excellent.

He's up against some stiff competition in my own mind as well: Mutter/Levine and Faust/Abbado.

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 25, 2021, 06:58:19 PM
He's up against some stiff competition in my own mind as well: Mutter/Levine and Faust/Abbado.

Do you have streaming on demand in there?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on January 25, 2021, 07:04:54 PM
Do you have streaming on demand in there?

Unfortunately, I don't do the streaming thing. I'm still one of those 'CD guys'. I do own this CD set as I just remembered it:

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 25, 2021, 07:10:06 PM
Unfortunately, I don't do the streaming thing. I'm still one of those 'CD guys'. I do own this CD set as I just remembered it:

Ah, OK, I didn't know you had the recording; you're comments were rather generalized.

Brian

couple crumbs of MARCH news

"Composer Jurgis Karnavicius (1884–1941) made significant contributions to the cultural life in Lithuania after returning back to his home country in the late 1920s. Karnavicius was a pupil Maximilian Steinberg at the St. Peterburg Conservatory later becoming a professor in his alma mater. During his years in St. Petersburg, the composer wrote four impressive String Quartets, filling the chronological and stylistic gap between the String Quartets of Tchaikovsky and Shostakovich. Karnavicius' String Quartet No. 1 was published by Belaieff. Its folkloristic elements bring to mind the late quartets of Dvorák. Karnavicius' second Quartet, written a few years later and distributed by Universal Edition Vienna, already shows first signs of a shift towards Expressionism. In this album the Lithuanian Vilnius String Quartet offer world premiere recordings of these two forgotten gems."

This is an hour of Monteverdi.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on January 26, 2021, 07:49:03 AM

The Francesas switched labels.  Hopefully they record some Faure and Brahms for their new label.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Daverz

Daverz

Quote from: Brian on January 21, 2021, 03:11:50 PM
As expected, the Great Big Ormandy Columbia Box will NOT include Ormandy RCA stuff. (Judging by the relative lack of late Sibelius recordings...others may have more expertise on his discography.)

According to someone on r.m.c.r, this is just the mono recordings.

Brian

Quote from: Daverz on January 26, 2021, 07:24:30 PM
According to someone on r.m.c.r, this is just the mono recordings.
Thank you. The photo spread with discs laid out showed a lot of the album artwork and it looked like they all used the cover designs if the mono era, but obviously that photo only includes 15 or so of the covers. Pretty courageous to sell $200 of mono stuff in 2021!

Daverz

Quote from: Brian on January 26, 2021, 07:46:08 PM
Thank you. The photo spread with discs laid out showed a lot of the album artwork and it looked like they all used the cover designs if the mono era, but obviously that photo only includes 15 or so of the covers. Pretty courageous to sell $200 of mono stuff in 2021!

I'll probably just wait until separate downloads come to Qobuz and pick up some of the more interesting stuff (Sibelius, Prokofiev, American composers, Albeniz).  I already downloaded the album with Sandor's Bartok 3 and the Miaskovsky Symphony 21 when it was released as part of the Sandor box.

Que

I'd wish companies would make some clever selections instead of churning out this colossal "bricks".

I really don't need more Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms and Strauss waltzes from these conductors....

Q

The new erato

Quote from: Que on January 27, 2021, 03:09:31 AM
I'd wish companies would make some clever selections instead of churning out this colossal "bricks".

I really don't need more Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms and Strauss waltzes from these conductors....

Q
Indeed.