New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Hurwitz is known for his bons mots, if nothing else  ;).

Todd

Quote from: Brian on February 21, 2021, 11:21:40 AM
Believe it or not there is actually competition, from a much colder part of the world.

I did not know that so many people could have such bad taste.  I listened to the selected excerpts.  The first movement outtake sounds like a broken harmonium.  What a cluster.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

The new erato

Das Lied in Schoenbergs version works. As for the featured symphonies here, I can't say.

Todd

First, that's a song cycle, which is easier to envision scaled back.  Second, it's Schoenberg who did the transcription.

The new erato

Quote from: Todd on February 21, 2021, 01:07:32 PM
First, that's a song cycle, which is easier to envision scaled back.  Second, it's Schoenberg who did the transcription.
That's obviously excellent points.

JBS

Quote from: jlopes on February 21, 2021, 11:02:30 AM
They already recorded the Ninth (haven't heard):

Luke Skywalker conducting Mahler...

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Mahler scaled back for a smaller ensemble? No thanks!

Brian

As it happens I JUST got an email from the Dallas Symphony Orchestra telling me to buy tickets to this Thursday's concert - which is Mahler 4, in a chamber arrangement by Klaus Simon. It was supposed to be the normal, big Mahler 4, but due to coronavirus restrictions, they can only have so few players on the stage, so they're going with the chamberfied version.

Per NML, the Klaus Simon version of Mahler 4 is scored for string quintet (quartet + one double bass), one flute doubling on piccolo, one oboe doubling on cor anglais, one clarinet/bass clarinet, one bassoon, two French horns (one plays in the third movement only), two percussionists, piano, harmonium, and soprano. 15 musicians. NML has a full recording (which takes a zippy 50'), I'll try some samples now...

EDIT: Well that was terrible. The violin and cello have fully developed parts going all the way through, and the pianist has to do a lot of work, but every other instrument just jumps in with its usual short solo bits, which gives the scoring a fragmented, haphazard feel as if it the symphony was written by a hyperactive 7-year-old who kept shouting things like, "now the clarinet plays three notes! okay stop, clarinet, now the oboe plays three notes! okay stop, now the horn!" Also, I skipped ahead to what I think of as The Magic Bit in the slow movement - near the end, when the clouds lift and all you have are the strings, alone, hushed, playing a super high note. And the strings here are so wimpy (Simon omits the bassist) that Simon adds the flute and clarinet. Gross.

Seriously, why perform this live? I know, because Fabio Luisi is a Very Serious Conductor who likes Mahler. But like...just do the Schubert octet, dude. I'd go to the Schubert octet.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on February 22, 2021, 08:54:14 AM
Luke Skywalker conducting Mahler...
:laugh: Yes, he does look like him.  :)

And Mahler symphonies on a small scale?  ???

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Brian, was this streamed or did they actually perform before live audience??

amw

Quote from: Brian on February 22, 2021, 11:29:04 AM
As it happens I JUST got an email from the Dallas Symphony Orchestra telling me to buy tickets to this Thursday's concert - which is Mahler 4, in a chamber arrangement by Klaus Simon. It was supposed to be the normal, big Mahler 4, but due to coronavirus restrictions, they can only have so few players on the stage, so they're going with the chamberfied version.

Per NML, the Klaus Simon version of Mahler 4 is scored for string quintet (quartet + one double bass), one flute doubling on piccolo, one oboe doubling on cor anglais, one clarinet/bass clarinet, one bassoon, two French horns (one plays in the third movement only), two percussionists, piano, harmonium, and soprano. 15 musicians. NML has a full recording (which takes a zippy 50'), I'll try some samples now...

EDIT: Well that was terrible. The violin and cello have fully developed parts going all the way through, and the pianist has to do a lot of work, but every other instrument just jumps in with its usual short solo bits, which gives the scoring a fragmented, haphazard feel as if it the symphony was written by a hyperactive 7-year-old who kept shouting things like, "now the clarinet plays three notes! okay stop, clarinet, now the oboe plays three notes! okay stop, now the horn!" Also, I skipped ahead to what I think of as The Magic Bit in the slow movement - near the end, when the clouds lift and all you have are the strings, alone, hushed, playing a super high note. And the strings here are so wimpy (Simon omits the bassist) that Simon adds the flute and clarinet. Gross.

Seriously, why perform this live? I know, because Fabio Luisi is a Very Serious Conductor who likes Mahler. But like...just do the Schubert octet, dude. I'd go to the Schubert octet.
My question is why use the Simon arrangement instead of the perfectly serviceable—and probably public domain—Erwin Stein arrangement from 1921, which sounds much better, at least from the limited excerpts I've been able to hear. And it's an even smaller ensemble (12 players + soprano). With arrangements of orchestral music, less is almost always more.

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on February 22, 2021, 12:26:56 PM
Brian, was this streamed or did they actually perform before live audience??
It will be live this upcoming Thursday and available for streaming afterwards.

Quote from: amw on February 22, 2021, 01:01:19 PM
My question is why use the Simon arrangement instead of the perfectly serviceable—and probably public domain—Erwin Stein arrangement from 1921, which sounds much better, at least from the limited excerpts I've been able to hear. And it's an even smaller ensemble (12 players + soprano). With arrangements of orchestral music, less is almost always more.
Hmmm, interesting.  :-X

Papy Oli

This pared-down M4 version works quite well indeed.

Olivier

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on February 22, 2021, 01:40:53 PM
It will be live this upcoming Thursday and available for streaming afterwards.

Wow I'm shocked!  Will it outdoors or with massive distancing and masks or what??

André

Yes, the Erwin Stein arrangement makes for excellent results. Was done in 1921 for performance by Schoenberg's Society for Private Musical Performances. Here's a fine review of a performance of Stein's arrangement:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/nr9x/

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on February 22, 2021, 03:36:53 PM
Wow I'm shocked!  Will it outdoors or with massive distancing and masks or what??
Indoors - that is why they are doing this arrangement, so the musicians can all be 8-10 feet apart on stage. They are accepting only like a hundred people into the concert hall. Shocker, I'm not going  ;D

Old San Antone

For a while I've fantasized of chamber versions of Mahler symphonies - so, these Joolz Gale recordings seem just what I've been hoping for. 

Listening to the 9th right now on Spotify.

Brian

That's a box set for the Paavo Beethoven cycle released something like a decade ago on individual SACDs. SACDs in the box too, and the overture disc is included.

Todd

After straining a bit, I spotted the reason to buy this new Strauss release.