New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: DaveF on April 03, 2021, 11:00:32 AM
At last, at last...

The whole collection, a number of them first recordings.  Now all we need is complete recordings of the two other English songbooks for a Byrd intégrale.

PS It's £8.99 on Qobuz (2 discs' worth).

Thanks, listening now to the big lullaby!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Roy Bland

Brian

Well, this is unexpected: Naxos has revived its super-duper budget label, Amadis. For those who don't remember it, Amadis CDs were Naxos' old 1980s Eastern European and Hong Kong-based recordings, reissued on CDs with black covers for just $3-4. I don't think a single one is still in print; the only one that even got any press was a pretty solid Theodore Kuchar-conducted program of Shostakovich VC1 + Symphony 5.

Now, suddenly, here comes Amadis, Part II. Again, it's all 1980s Marco Polo recordings being reissued. Looks like the drive is primarily digital (Presto is offering each new album to download for $7), but Naxos Music Library does have "back cover inlay" PDF files to download, and those files have bar codes. Why would you need a bar code on a download? Is physical release coming for Amadis? Not sure. Guess we'll find out in a month or two.

Anyway, I don't think too many of these will be interesting to too many people, but if you missed some of this stuff on Marco Polo and have $7 sitting around, you may take a look. I'll post a small sampling of what's becoming available this month, rather than posting a thorough list.

André

The 2 Szymanowski discs are very good value !

Brian

Quote from: André on April 05, 2021, 07:17:58 AM
The 2 Szymanowski discs are very good value !
And there are two more in that grouping - the violin concertos and Harnasie - all with the Katowice orchestra and Stryja.

Que

Quote from: deprofundis on April 03, 2021, 06:16:52 PM
Here an interesting tread, your own personal view on new not released yet...  :P

This is huge folks, for admirer of Johannes Ockeghem achievements, Raum Klang(German Label of quality), that would value so much so far and cherish there records.

This will be release April 16 in few days, just can't wait for this album, the great Masses, wow I'm tripping now:Missa Prolationum, Has a fan of Ockeghem, I would not missed out on!, this album, order this splendid recording, Missa Prolationum is equal in my mind to the beauty of Missa Caput of his

This will perhaps competed whit The sound and The fury ensemble(From Austria).This is so telling folks, this album scream out loud buy me, you wont regret it.

Also, purchased Arnolt & Hugo DE Latins, this is not knew , but never being deceived by Batiste Romain and his ensemble ''Le mirroir DE la musique''. Would compared them to composers Busnois & Binchois especially for ambiance, also might consider one of his other contemporaries Johannes DE Lymburgia on same label as afore mention composers ''DE Latins'' respectively off the same era the glorious 15Th century renaissance polyphony of Flemish and Franco-Flemish genius like Johannes Tinctoris all in the same time span.

What about it Lady & Gentlemen, look and seem astonishingly fabulous?

My question and purpose of this tread is for you and me, to recommend future of greatest albums to come sooner are later in future days ahead.?

I'm a bit a zealot & proselyte and ultimately compelled to talk about the first album the Ockeghem Missa Prolationum, am all ready very exited about this release, whiteout fault, thus said, I'm expecting this and have high expectancy to listening to them!!!

Marvelous recording up a head!!!!

;D

A new ensemble,we'll have to wait and see... :)

By the way, the Missa Prolationum has already received a pretty amazing recording, and it is not by The Sound and The Fury:

prémont

Quote from: Que on April 05, 2021, 07:57:59 AM

A new ensemble,we'll have to wait and see... :)

Wonder if they say the last word about this mass?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Booklet here

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/92/000139129.pdf

I guess you can't have enough Missae Prolationa (?), but it sure would be nice if someone would do a good job of his other mass without cantus firmus (I'm sure that's not the way to say it!) -- the Missa(e) Cuiusvis Toni.

(This post has stretched my Latin grammar to breaking point.)

Mandryka

André

Quote from: Brian on April 05, 2021, 07:28:07 AM
And there are two more in that grouping - the violin concertos and Harnasie - all with the Katowice orchestra and Stryja.

Good to know, thanks Brian ! Do you have a link to the complete list of releases ?

Brian

Quote from: André on April 05, 2021, 10:25:30 AM
Good to know, thanks Brian ! Do you have a link to the complete list of releases ?
Full label catalog is at Presto - I don't know if there are any future re-releases planned yet, they're not in Naxos' normal distribution website.

André

Thanks. The Taneyev discs look interesting, too. Not sure about the rest. Many of these still sport their old design. Will see if they materialize as cds and how much they cost  :)

Brian

Yeah, the older designs are older discs which were issued as CDs around 2005ish. I have a couple of those. So the new line is the one with the new designs.

North Star

Quote from: Mandryka on April 05, 2021, 08:13:51 AM
Booklet here

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/92/000139129.pdf

I guess you can't have enough Missae Prolationa (?), but it sure would be nice if someone would do a good job of his other mass without cantus firmus (I'm sure that's not the way to say it!) -- the Missa(e) Cuiusvis Toni.

(This post has stretched my Latin grammar to breaking point.)
I thought Ensemble Musica Nova did a pretty good job with that one as well.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Que

Quote from: North Star on April 05, 2021, 12:24:56 PM

QFT  :)

Mandryka

Quote from: North Star on April 05, 2021, 12:24:56 PM

I've never managed to enjoy it, I can't say whether the problem is me, the music or the performances.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on April 05, 2021, 08:14:52 PM
I've never managed to enjoy it, I can't say whether the problem is me, the music or the performances.

Their style is rather abstract, emotionally detached.
It is done to absolute technical and aesthetic perfection and it works for me, but could imagine some feeling different about it.

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on April 05, 2021, 07:28:07 AM

I recognise that Szymanowski/Stryja series, with Naxos labels, from doing my Szymanowski exploration. It actually got quite confusing because Antoni Wit recorded almost exactly the same music, also on Naxos.

The impression I got was that the Wit recordings were held in higher regard, though the Stryja ones weren't considered bad by any means.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

Quote from: Brian on April 05, 2021, 07:08:52 AM
Well, this is unexpected: Naxos has revived its super-duper budget label, Amadis. For those who don't remember it, Amadis CDs were Naxos' old 1980s Eastern European and Hong Kong-based recordings, reissued on CDs with black covers for just $3-4. I don't think a single one is still in print; the only one that even got any press was a pretty solid Theodore Kuchar-conducted program of Shostakovich VC1 + Symphony 5.

Now, suddenly, here comes Amadis, Part II. Again, it's all 1980s Marco Polo recordings being reissued. Looks like the drive is primarily digital (Presto is offering each new album to download for $7), but Naxos Music Library does have "back cover inlay" PDF files to download, and those files have bar codes. Why would you need a bar code on a download? Is physical release coming for Amadis? Not sure. Guess we'll find out in a month or two.

Anyway, I don't think too many of these will be interesting to too many people, but if you missed some of this stuff on Marco Polo and have $7 sitting around, you may take a look. I'll post a small sampling of what's becoming available this month, rather than posting a thorough list.

Presumably these are download only Brian?
I have a number of them on Marco Polo, including the Donald Johanos version of Gliere's 3rd Symphony which the famous Hurwitz rated highly (it is a very good performance) and also that terrific early Bloch Symphony, along with the Ippolitov-Ivanov disc (also v. good).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brian

Jeffrey - presumably download only, that is all that we've seen so far from Naxos, but the "back cover image" PDF files do contain bar codes, so there is a bit of mystery.

-

MORE MAY RELEASES

"Albrecht Mendelssohn Bartholdy was the grandson of Felix Mendelssohn. He was also a polymathic intellectual – a prestigious jurist, political scientist, and one of Germany's observers to the Treaty of Versailles negotiations in 1919. Conscious of his heritage he also wrote songs, taking texts from Eichendorff, Goethe, Heine and the folk collection Des Knaben Wunderhorn, as had Felix and Fanny Mendelssohn."