New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

MORE MAY!

This includes both Ravel concertos, Gershwin concerto, Rhapsody in Blue, and American in Paris.

Guess Coleman's birth year is unknown?

arpeggio

I have been reviewing several new releases on the Naxos Music Library.

I did not post anything about them because the music was tonal but boring.

The following had one work that appealed to my ears: The Stephen Hartke Willow Run, which was for saxophone and nine players.

Wanderer

Quote from: Brian on April 07, 2021, 12:27:04 PM
MORE MAY RELEASES

Another Burleske, Pascal Rogé's new take on Ravel's concerti and Helmchen in Weber's Konzertstück? Call me interested.

Mandryka

You can't have enough stimmungen.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

arpeggio

Normally I try to avoid making negative remarks, but I have recently had some bad luck listening to new recordings on the Naxon Music Library.

Sometimes I had the a problem with a bad performance.

Most of the time to my ears the music was boring.  Most of the time it was tonal boring.

I just completed listening, to my ears, avant-garde boring.

Some may find the following interesting:

Link to the composer's website: http://petergilbert.net/

Mandryka

Mandryka

Daverz

Sony seems to be on a roll mining their mono era.  But will we get a Rodzinski in Cleveland box?

vandermolen

Quote from: Brian on April 07, 2021, 12:34:27 PM
MORE MAY!

This includes both Ravel concertos, Gershwin concerto, Rhapsody in Blue, and American in Paris.

Guess Coleman's birth year is unknown?

I like the look of One Movement Kansas City SO Symphonies CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Quote from: Daverz on April 13, 2021, 12:03:19 AM

Sony seems to be on a roll mining their mono era.  But will we get a Rodzinski in Cleveland box?

What are Rodzinski highlights in terms of specific recordings?  :)

Mirror Image

I'm not sure if this box set has been mentioned yet, but it certainly went unnoticed by me until I decided to place an order with JPC today:

Some general information here:

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/catalogue/products/the-unknown-richard-strauss-12279

From JPC's website:

This 15-CD edition of rarely recorded works by Richard Strauss brings selected rarities to light and makes an indispensable contribution to our understanding of the great late Romantic and tone poet Strauss. Originally released by the Koch label, these award-winning recordings are finally available again after a long time.

The works are conducted by the passionate Strauss connoisseur Karl Anton Rickenbacher, played by dedicated Strauss orchestras such as the Wilden Gung'l from Munich, the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra and the Bamberg Symphony Orchestra. In addition to true rarities such as the Strauss choral works (with the Rundfunkchor Berlin), the solo piano music (with Stefan Vladar) and the piano concertos for the left hand (soloist: Echo Award winner Anna Gourari), the edition also includes better-known works, such as the popular Rosenkavalier waltz sequence and the incidental music for "Bürger als Edelmann" and "Des Esels Schatten", both with the incomparable Peter Ustinov in the role of the narrator.

After their release, Crescendo described the recordings as "an editorial tour de force" - the recordings certainly contribute to a deeper understanding of the multifaceted personality of Richard Strauss as a composer.

Daverz

Quote from: Que on April 13, 2021, 01:12:01 AM
What are Rodzinski highlights in terms of specific recordings?  :)

If you are unfamiliar with his recordings, I'd probably start with some of the stereo or later mono recordings for EMI and Westminster (reissued by DG). 

I love this EMI "Artist Profile" set, but it may be hard to find:

Scribendum has a box set of the Westminster and EMI stuff, though I can't vouch for the transfers (probably copied from CDs, though):

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8335614--the-art-of-artur-rodzinski

The Amazon reviews are helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Artur-Rodzinski/dp/B071L9FFDQ

Of the Westminster discs, I'd probably start with his Tchaikovsky and Dvorak:

The last is good mono.

The other Westminster/DG discs are worth having as well (Dvorak Slavonic Dances, a Kodaly disc, Brahms and Tchaikovsky concertos with Erica Morini.)

Que

Quote from: Daverz on April 13, 2021, 05:20:57 PM
If you are unfamiliar with his recordings, I'd probably start with some of the stereo or later mono recordings for EMI and Westminster (reissued by DG). 

Thank you for your suggestions!  :)

And that Amazon review was indeed very  informative.

Brian

July on Hyperion:

Angela Hewitt - "Love Songs" - an album of transcriptions and encores and romantic bits
Garrick Ohlsson - Brahms Sonatas 1 & 2

plus a concept album of 20th century bassoon works, chamber and orchestral

Mandryka

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on April 15, 2021, 12:01:33 AM

By chance I listened to his vol.1 yesterday. I find him a bit solid and ascetic. But of course the completist in me shall acquire vol.2 too.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on April 15, 2021, 12:25:35 AM
By chance I listened to his vol.1 yesterday. I find him a bit solid and ascetic. But of course the completist in me shall acquire vol.2 too.

Well, I shall listen to it on streaming. The fact that he's releasing a second set suggests he's  pretty keen on the music and believe he has something worth saying.  (Listened with great pleasure to some of Aymes's Froberger this morning.)

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on April 15, 2021, 12:01:33 AM

Froberger has clearly been rediscovered!  :)

Good news and particularly his harpsichord music is well deserving.

I hope we'll see a similar development on Graupner.

Q

Roy Bland

Brian

Get ready for JUNE RELEASES

Good month for Nicolas Altstaedt, for sure.

Bebbington's first Poulenc CD was really good.

More in next post!