New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

MORE STUFF IN JUNE

Cool program

"When composing my own Divertimento for chamber orchestra (2017), I couldn't help but consider the multiple meanings packed into the title. Like Ibert, I delight in connections to other music and in mixing styles in ways that might surprise. Like Bernard, I was attracted to the divertimento as a more modest form for a smaller orchestra. And yet, as the music developed, it stretched against those boundaries time and time again. Like Bartók, I may also have taken refuge in composing a work of abstract, light-hearted music at a time when the world seems teetering on the brink of disaster." - Michael Ippolito

10 SACD box set. Many individual releases have been very highly praised, although this cycle is not talked about very much here on GMG.

wat

vandermolen

I have a few of the Wigglesworth Shostakovich symphony recordings (including 4,11 and 13) and thought them all excellent. Looks like a great set.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on April 19, 2021, 12:55:36 PM

Cool program

Agreed. For someone like me who tends not to really go for mixed programs, I look at this and think ooh, I'm a bit interested.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aukhawk

Quote from: vandermolen on April 19, 2021, 01:28:05 PM
I have a few of the Wigglesworth Shostakovich symphony recordings (including 4,11 and 13) and thought them all excellent. Looks like a great set.

I have his 1st, 6th, 8th (recent acquisition), 10th, 11th, 15th, and always have liked them a lot.  He favours broad tempi, in complete contrast with one of my other favourites, Caetani.  The recordings however have more dynamic range than is really comfortable for me - can't listen without riding the volume the whole time.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on April 20, 2021, 02:49:17 AM
Agreed. For someone like me who tends not to really go for mixed programs, I look at this and think ooh, I'm a bit interested.

This does look like an enchanting program.

Brian

Must be original jackets if a single Beethoven quartet is on a CD all by its lonely self.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Brian on April 19, 2021, 12:55:14 PM
Get ready for JUNE RELEASES

Fantastic! I'll be waiting for this especially.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

Quote from: Brian on April 20, 2021, 05:39:57 PM

Must be original jackets if a single Beethoven quartet is on a CD all by its lonely self.

In fact it's 2 Ludwigs and a Johannes with their own CDs. I would guess the recordings on CD 1 were originally issued as 78s.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

The new erato

Quote from: Brian on April 20, 2021, 05:39:57 PM

I want that. Seriously and badly. Any release info?

Brian

Quote from: The new erato on April 21, 2021, 05:13:34 AM
Sorry, can't remember, but it was just about the top thing on Amazon.de when I checked "next 90 days" or whatever their future release filter is.

Mandryka

Released at the end of last year I think, but if so, I missed it.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on April 22, 2021, 09:24:59 AM

Released at the end of last year I think, but if so, I missed it.

Me too, never seen it before... Thanks for posting.  :)

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on April 22, 2021, 09:28:40 AM
Me too, never seen it before... Thanks for posting.  :)

Very lyrical, fluid, sweet, in the mass. The balance of the ensemble in the recording is good in the mass, without the bass Philippe Roche dominating - the sound is better than live when I heard them do this mass.  It's two on a part pretty well all the time I think.

Guerber talks in the booklet about how the music has "un humanism touchant et raffiné" and that's spot on.

Mandryka

Another one from 2020 possibly which I'd either missed or overlooked. It is fabulous. Binchois and Ockeghem songs, voices and viols. Comet Musicke appear to be a lively bunch of people

https://www.facebook.com/cometmusicke/?comment_id=Y29tbWVudDozNzE1NzM4NjE1MTUyMjQ1XzM3MTc2NzkwNTgyOTE1MzQ%3D
http://cometmusicke.com/commander-le-disque/?fbclid=IwAR1g1byslpkJ9lA73BAfLW37SlmlVx8g-tVc49DBYVVRdJ7dlSTq_qGUlyM

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on April 22, 2021, 09:33:38 AM
It's two on a part pretty well all the time I think.

Listening again on better speakers, this was (obviously) wrong, there's plenty of relief within the ordinary and all the more so if you listen to the propers of course.

As far as I know there are two other recordings  of the mass - Dominique Vellard with Schola Cantorum Basilensis and Cantica Symphonia. I'll try to explore what they're all up to interpretively later. From memory the Cantica Symphonia performance is an amazing thing.

The new erato

The Clemencic Consort did it on Harmonia Mundi. I have the LP and seem to remember that once upon a time it was on CD.

Mandryka

Quote from: The new erato on April 22, 2021, 11:50:14 PM
The Clemencic Consort did it on Harmonia Mundi. I have the LP and seem to remember that once upon a time it was on CD.

Thanks, I have it in fact, but incorrectly tagged. Clearly dated, but nevertheless passionate and fascinating, passionné and passionnant.

PaulThomas

Quote from: The new erato on April 21, 2021, 05:13:34 AM

Quartetto Italiano set on Warner release date is 11th June.

Full track listing here

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8914943--quartetto-italiano-prima-la-musica#about

Roy Bland

It was premiere of Prokofiev's first ballet

Madiel

Quote from: Roy Bland on April 23, 2021, 04:35:43 PM
It was premiere of Prokofiev's first ballet

Eh? Translation please. I can see the first word is "skazka" (fairytale) but as far as I know that isn't part of the title of Projofiev's first ballet.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!