New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Que

Quote from: Brian on April 28, 2021, 05:59:41 AM

Interesting! Complete on 3 discs, but recorded live.

And how could anyone match La Colombina (Glossa)?

Harry

Quote from: Que on April 25, 2021, 11:22:58 PM
We definitely need more De Monte!  :)

It's apparently on Ramée and by the Flanders based ensemble pointed out to us before by deprofundis.

Q

Its on my order list.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Daverz

Quote from: Brian on April 28, 2021, 05:59:41 AM

That looks really desirable.  Very good idea to package up their Bernard Herrmann recordings.

Brian

Most pretentious cover ever?

(Berlin Philharmonic house label, Mahler 9 with Haitink)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brian on April 30, 2021, 08:45:18 AM
Most pretentious cover ever?

(Berlin Philharmonic house label, Mahler 9 with Haitink)

What was Mahler's quote about what a symphony should be?  ;D

Brian

JULY ON HYPERION

Song transcriptions
Schumann/Liszt, Schubert/Liszt, R. Strauss/Reger, Gluck/Kempff, Hewitt's own piano arrangement of the Adagietto from Mahler 5 (!) (8:16), Grieg, Faure/Grainger, Gershwin/Grainger, Falla/E. Halffter.
recorded November 2020

Prokofiev (arrangement), Saint-Saens sonata, Bantock, Bax, Hindemith, Schuman, Dutilleux, Elizabeth Maconchy, A. Panufnik, R.R. Bennett. 2 CDs

JUNE REISSUES ON ALPHA

There are several more reissues in this series landing this June. I skipped them because I didn't know or have interest in the music, apologies if they include something you're interested in, but you get the idea of what's coming. That Vivaldi/Niquet CD was a new release just a couple years ago, on the redesigned Alpha label, so I have no idea why they are already rereleasing it with a different cover.

MORE NEW STUFF COMING

That Verdi opera Blu-Ray was from a live performance in December 2020, I didn't realize that live opera was happening during the pandemic.

Live recordings from a Kapralova Festival. Kapralova was a student of Martinu and Charles Munch, a favorite composer of Kubelik, and died at age 25 during the war, from an unknown disease, possibly typhoid fever. Sources disagree, and some biographies online don't even mention the cause of her illness. Note that her complete solo piano music was released on Grand Piano in 2017, with Giorgio Koukl doing the honors. One of the two orchestral songs on this CD was premiered by Kubelik; the other is a world premiere recording.

-

An unusual portrait of Vienna:

Brian

A few more things spotted on Amazon in Europe...

Mandryka

On June 18, 2021, Los Angeles-based musical collective Wild Up will release the premiere studio recording of Julius Eastman's "Femenine."

Mandryka

Mandryka

(Smith is one of my favourite gamba players so I will give it time soon.)

jlopes

July. With the Eroica Variations. The booklet: https://www.chandos.net/chanimages/Booklets/PT6724.pdf

Mandryka

Quote from: jlopes on May 04, 2021, 07:11:39 AM

July. With the Eroica Variations. The booklet: https://www.chandos.net/chanimages/Booklets/PT6724.pdf

I have a recording of him playing op 106 in Mainz in 2017 -- he's good at Beethoven I think, quite reflective, which suites me more than the usual approach.

jlopes

Jan Lisiecki recorded Chopin's complete Nocturnes for a DG release (August). Stephen Hough recorded the Nocturnes too, but I believe this is coming in 2022, because Hyperion will release Hough's Schumann this year (Kreisleriana, Fantasie, Arabeske). Still Hyperion this year: Gesualdo's Tenebrae Responsories for Maundy Thursday by The Gesualdo Six.

Plus:

June 25.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Brian on April 20, 2021, 05:39:57 PM

Must be original jackets if a single Beethoven quartet is on a CD all by its lonely self.

The stuff that they're saying is first time on cd for this set - isn't that the same early Decca LXTs that were finally released a few years ago in this big box?:

https://www.amazon.com/Quartetto-Italiano-Complete-Philips-Recordings/dp/B013L20N4G

and in this:

once upon a time I used to own all those lps (sigh...)

Brian

Complete Heinrich Schiff DG/Decca/Philips box set coming later this year.

Mandryka

(This includes the divertimenti - it'll be interesting to see what he makes of them.)

JBS

Seen on Twitter
Amazon gives no indication of a release date (in fact, lists it as unavailable as if it's an OOP item)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

Walcha = 32 CDs
Zemlinsky = 6 CDs