New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: JBS on May 06, 2021, 06:03:35 PM
Seen on Twitter
Amazon gives no indication of a release date (in fact, lists it as unavailable as if it's an OOP item)

Any thoughts about what the Willaert and Crecquillon is? Or the Josquin? And Isaac?

And who is Vide? The second CD is Dufay, Binchois and Vide?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Mandryka

JBS

Quote from: Mandryka on May 07, 2021, 09:05:29 AM
Any thoughts about what the Willaert and Crecquillon is? Or the Josquin? And Isaac?

And who is Vide? The second CD is Dufay, Binchois and Vide?

I'm assuming it includes these recordings

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

MusicTurner

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 26, 2021, 07:06:47 AM
Coming in June:

Interesting, not at least for the lovely, potentially sparkling Fantaisie, which hasn't received that many recordings, relatively speaking. Argerich did a great Debussy Violin Sonata with Gitlis, but this will probably be different, due to his style. And the Cello Sonata is usually a gem (she recorded it before, such as with Maisky).

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on May 07, 2021, 09:05:29 AM

Considering we should be lloking at the back catalogues of EMI, Virgin and Erato:

The Willaert could be:

Crequillon:

OLD stuff!  ??? And I don't mean the music...  ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 07, 2021, 09:44:22 AM
Interesting, not at least for the lovely, potentially sparkling Fantaisie, which hasn't received that many recordings, relatively speaking. Argerich did a great Debussy Violin Sonata with Gitlis, but this will probably be different, due to his style. And the Cello Sonata is usually a gem (she recorded it before, such as with Maisky).

Indeed. I doubt I'll buy the recording, but it'll be interesting to read the reviews.

Mandryka

Quote from: JBS on May 07, 2021, 09:41:45 AM
I'm assuming it includes these recordings

The Art of the Netherlands was initially transferred onto CD only partially, the situation was corrected in Japan - I don't have the complete transfer myself. Maybe they'll insert the missing tracks for this box.

DaveF

Quote from: Que on May 07, 2021, 09:49:56 AM
Considering we should be lloking at the back catalogues of EMI, Virgin and Erato:

The Willaert could be:

Crequillon:

OLD stuff!  ??? And I don't mean the music...  ;)

This: https://www.warnerclassics.com/release/josquin-franco-flemish-school appears to make mention of the second of these, anyway.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Mandryka

Quote from: DaveF on May 07, 2021, 10:33:26 PM
This: https://www.warnerclassics.com/release/josquin-franco-flemish-school appears to make mention of the second of these, anyway.

Lots of Stephane Caillat on Spotify, it'll give you a good indication of what to expect.

Que

Quote from: DaveF on May 07, 2021, 10:33:26 PM

Those of us who already have the sets by Munrow, the Hilliard Ensemble and the like, will be grinding their teeth!

And a lot of old scrapings from the bottom of the barrel....
What does that tell us? That the major companies abandoned Early Music decades ago.. ::)

For me, I don't think there is much that appeals apart from the occasional Ensemble Binchois/Vellard recording.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on May 07, 2021, 10:42:26 PM
Lots of Stephane Caillat on Spotify, it'll give you a good indication of what to expect.

And lots of him on youtube. Typical 1950-60es performance style. Seemingly large choir, swimming sound, lacking in articulation and expression, - not at all my thing.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

The new erato

Quote from: Que on May 08, 2021, 12:50:45 AM
This who already have the sets by Munrow, the Hilliard Ensemble and the like, will be grinding their teeth!

And a lot of old scrapings from the bottom of the barrel....
What does that tell us? That the major companies abandoned Early Music decades ago.. ::)

For me, I don't think there is much that appeals apart from the occasional Ensemble Binchous/Vellard recording.
I already have most of the wortwhile stuff as well. I probably won't buy the box to listen to the few discs of marginal interest......

Brian

A "period instruments" Carmen with stars in the leads and on the podium, recorded at the theater where the opera was premiered.

Mandryka

Quote from: The new erato on May 08, 2021, 01:02:18 AM
I already have most of the wortwhile stuff as well. I probably won't buy the box to listen to the few discs of marginal interest......

Do you have the complete Art of the Netherlands, all 51 tracks?

Artem

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on May 08, 2021, 08:27:12 AM
Do you have the complete Art of the Netherlands, all 51 tracks?

How many tracks are missing compared to the LP set?

Which doesn't look very indispensable anyway?

https://www.discogs.com/Early-Music-Consort-Of-London-David-Munrow-The-Art-Of-The-Netherlands/release/4488654

T. D.

Quote from: Artem on May 08, 2021, 08:52:38 AM

Thanks.
The apparent Works for Piano II bewildered me - it's volume 54 of Mode's Cage Edition, and there were plenty of previous piano recordings... ???
But the typeface is confusing, it's actually Works for Piano 11!

https://moderecords.com/catalog/the-works-for-piano-11/

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Artem on May 08, 2021, 08:52:38 AM

This one confused me momentarily. I thought it was the "Works for Piano II" - as in the Roman numeral for 2 - and I wondered when volume I was released. And is it the piano works of Cage or Feldman? (Or both?)

But a little Googling tells me that this is in fact volume 11 in a series of the piano works of John Cage. Led astray by the font!

I didn't know Feldman did an arrangement of Cheap Imitation (a piece I've never actually heard - the original is for solo piano, I think). I might like to hear this.

EDIT: Ha, I see T.D. beat me to it. :)
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

prémont

Quote from: Que on May 08, 2021, 09:09:55 AM
How many tracks are missing compared to the LP set?

About one half of the instrumental music from vol. 2.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν