New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 08, 2021, 10:30:27 AM
About one half of the instrumental music from vol. 2.

Ah, in that case I'll pass.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on May 08, 2021, 11:22:44 AM
Ah, in that case I'll pass.

I compared the original LP release which I owned to the later CD rerelease (the one Que listed) which I own. I don''t know if the forthcoming Warner rerelease includes the instrumental works which were missing on these CDs - time will show. I have the missing tracks in digitized version somewhere, but don't know if I can find them easily. As far as I recall there was a devasting error on one of those tracks, which didn't make it to the CD release..
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

T. D.

Quote from: Alek Hidell on May 08, 2021, 09:42:33 AM
This one confused me momentarily. I thought it was the "Works for Piano II" - as in the Roman numeral for 2 - and I wondered when volume I was released. And is it the piano works of Cage or Feldman? (Or both?)

But a little Googling tells me that this is in fact volume 11 in a series of the piano works of John Cage. Led astray by the font!

I didn't know Feldman did an arrangement of Cheap Imitation (a piece I've never actually heard - the original is for solo piano, I think). I might like to hear this.

EDIT: Ha, I see T.D. beat me to it. :)

It's even more confusing...
I thought Cheap Imitation was a rather well-known piece, and was surprised to see it only included in Vol. 54 of the Cage Edition.
But Stephen Drury already recorded the solo piano version on mode 63, Vol. 17 of the Cage EditionPiano Works 3.
It's also been recorded in Wergo's Cage series, by Schleiermacher on MDG and many others (https://johncage.org/pp/John-Cage-Work-Detail.cfm?work_ID=37).
I don't yet own a recording, might go for Simonacci on Brilliant Classics. I have some other Cage piano CDs by Simonacci; he's IMO far from the best interpreter out there, but his recordings don't cost much.

Madiel

Quote from: Alek Hidell on May 08, 2021, 09:42:33 AM
This one confused me momentarily. I thought it was the "Works for Piano II" - as in the Roman numeral for 2 - and I wondered when volume I was released. And is it the piano works of Cage or Feldman? (Or both?)

But a little Googling tells me that this is in fact volume 11 in a series of the piano works of John Cage. Led astray by the font!

I didn't know Feldman did an arrangement of Cheap Imitation (a piece I've never actually heard - the original is for solo piano, I think). I might like to hear this.

EDIT: Ha, I see T.D. beat me to it. :)

I encountered the exact same problem yesterday, with a listing on Amazon confusing Volume 11 of Grieg piano works with Volume 2. In that case the font on the cover wasn't nearly so deceiving, but someone within the Amazon system was deceived anyway.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Very cool boxes!!

Also coming this summer

Mandryka

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on May 09, 2021, 12:11:58 PM

https://www.challengerecords.com/artists/1239356182

Two new Cappella Pratensis releases.

Very interesting!  :) 

The 1st volume is a reissue:

According to their website the total series of "The Den Bosch Choirbooks" will be five volumes

JBS

Regarding Ms. Shebanova:

Anyone familiar with her?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on May 09, 2021, 01:03:39 PM
Very interesting!  :) 

The 1st volume is a reissue:

According to their website the total series of "The Den Bosch Choirbooks" will be five volumes

Oh yes, it's a nice recording. I heard half of it last night after listening to some of Beauty Farm's de la Rue. In fact - it showed how very special the Beauty Farm is, despite the strengths of Stratton Bull.  Beauty Farm have raised the bar considerably.

betterthanfine

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 07, 2021, 09:44:22 AM
Interesting, not at least for the lovely, potentially sparkling Fantaisie, which hasn't received that many recordings, relatively speaking. Argerich did a great Debussy Violin Sonata with Gitlis, but this will probably be different, due to his style. And the Cello Sonata is usually a gem (she recorded it before, such as with Maisky).

Unfortunately, Barenboim is the pianist for the two sonatas. Argerich only plays the Fantaisie.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on May 09, 2021, 08:23:37 PM
Oh yes, it's a nice recording. I heard half of it last night after listening to some of Beauty Farm's de la Rue. In fact - it showed how very special the Beauty Farm is, despite the strengths of Stratton Bull.  Beauty Farm have raised the bar considerably.
Those Beauty Farm "album" covers are something!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on May 09, 2021, 08:24:58 AM

My favorite Schubert Symphony and my favorite Haydn Symphony, together, at last  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

MusicTurner

Quote from: betterthanfine on May 09, 2021, 11:35:42 PM
Unfortunately, Barenboim is the pianist for the two sonatas. Argerich only plays the Fantaisie.

OK, a mixed bag then.

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on April 15, 2021, 12:25:35 AM
By chance I listened to his vol.1 yesterday. I find him a bit solid and ascetic. But of course the completist in me shall acquire vol.2 too.

Well I went back to Vol 1 today (Gilbert Rowland's Froberger) and listened to the C major suite - and really enjoyed it! So looking forward to Vol 2 now, which must be immanent - I don't know about stolid and ascetic - there's some imaginative embellishments in the lament, the first movement of that suite.

(To my horror I noticed some dreadful Froberger has been released. A bloke called Pierre Portier who uses a piano of sorts, and another called Bernd Walter, who seems to make transcriptions of Froberger for piano and orchestra.)

Mirror Image

Apparently, this box set hasn't even been officially released yet:

And yet, I have my hands on it right now. The DG website shows a release date of August 2021 and another site I visited gave September 2021 as its release date. Another oddity is this box set isn't even listed on Amazon. So I suppose my question here is: I bought this off JPC, how is it possible for them to sell this set when the official product release date is in August?

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 11, 2021, 05:01:03 PM
Apparently, this box set hasn't even been officially released yet:

And yet, I have my hands on it right now. The DG website shows a release date of August 2021 and another site I visited gave September 2021 as its release date. Another oddity is this box set isn't even listed on Amazon. So I suppose my question here is: I bought this off JPC, how is it possible for them to sell this set when the official product release date is in August?

Curious. I would have suggested a difference between the German release date and some others, but then would DG not reflect the German one? Hmm.

Also, this is a re-release of a series of "Unknown Richard Strauss" albums from roughly 20 years ago on the Koch label.

EDIT: Even more interestingly, the German language version of the DG website provides a link direct to JPC. The English language version doesn't.

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/de/komponisten/richardstrauss

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/composers/richardstrauss
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on May 11, 2021, 06:14:41 PM
Curious. I would have suggested a difference between the German release date and some others, but then would DG not reflect the German one? Hmm.

Also, this seems to be connected to a series of "Unknown Richard Strauss" albums from roughly 20 years ago. I say that because Karl Anton Rickenbacher is involved in both.

EDIT: Even more interestingly, the German language version of the DG website provides a link direct to JPC. The English language version doesn't.

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/de/komponisten/richardstrauss

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/composers/richardstrauss

Yes, indeed. This is just a reissue from that Koch series released many years ago. Curious, that you found that English version DG link. I wonder what exactly is going on here? I'm proud to own this set, but it does make me question the availability of it worldwide.

Madiel

I suppose it's conceivable that JPC has some kind of deal where they are the exclusive sellers for a period. Such things do happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on May 11, 2021, 06:21:09 PM
I suppose it's conceivable that JPC has some kind of deal where they are the exclusive sellers for a period. Such things do happen.

That's entirely possible for sure. Anyway, I suppose my fellow Straussians will want to jump on this set via JPC, especially those that missed this series when it was initially released. Per usual with JPC shipping to the US, it was slow, but not as slow as it could've been I suppose.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 11, 2021, 06:26:45 PM
That's entirely possible for sure. Anyway, I suppose my fellow Straussians will want to jump on this set via JPC, especially those that missed this series when it was initially released. Per usual with JPC shipping to the US, it was slow, but not as slow as it could've been I suppose.

Already bought/received my copy - very good value although quite a bit is not really that unknown.  Recordings come up well and it certainly helps fill gaps