New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

Accidently stumbled across this on Qobuz:

The whole set seems to be there (I'm also aware of the Scribendum set).  It's listed as released by Musical Heritage Society, which was defunct the last I heard.  I wonder what the story is.  There's also Haydn piano sonatas by Arthur Balsam and Bach by Jorg Demus, among other things.

https://play.qobuz.com/label/282457

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 12, 2021, 12:05:49 PM
Already bought/received my copy - very good value although quite a bit is not really that unknown.  Recordings come up well and it certainly helps fill gaps

Yeah, it's good for the filling of gaps, but as you said, a lot of this music wasn't 'unknown' to me. It seems now that I have a rather good sized Strauss collection.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

(Good harpsichord)

Roy Bland

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Daverz on May 12, 2021, 02:33:20 PM
Accidently stumbled across this on Qobuz:

The whole set seems to be there (I'm also aware of the Scribendum set).  It's listed as released by Musical Heritage Society, which was defunct the last I heard.  I wonder what the story is.  There's also Haydn piano sonatas by Arthur Balsam and Bach by Jorg Demus, among other things.

https://play.qobuz.com/label/282457

I listened to the whole thing, with great pleasure. There is also a set of the Paris symphonies.
It's all good...

Mandryka

Essential for me, I've been revisiting her Lebègue and her Jacquet de la Guerre and I like it very much - that's what made me go to the Plectra site, where I noticed that this new D'Anglebert is forthcoming.

SonicMan46

Quote from: JBS on May 09, 2021, 06:58:27 PM
Regarding Ms. Shebanova:

Anyone familiar with her?

Well, I'd like to second that request - believe she is one of the pianists (many discs recorded) in the 'The Real Chopin' box on period instruments - the one shown states an 1849 Erard piano (restored original or reproduction?) - would like a 'period instrument' performance of these works - JPC has an offer starting in early June for 100 Euros (or about 120 USD + shipping, i.e. I'd be paying nearly $10/disc - UMM?) - but I assume those w/ the 'Real Box' have some thoughts on her performances.  Dave :)

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 17, 2021, 07:00:36 AM
Well, I'd like to second that request - believe she is one of the pianists (many discs recorded) in the 'The Real Chopin' box on period instruments - the one shown states an 1849 Erard piano (restored original or reproduction?) - would like a 'period instrument' performance of these works - JPC has an offer starting in early June for 100 Euros (or about 120 USD + shipping, i.e. I'd be paying nearly $10/disc - UMM?) - but I assume those w/ the 'Real Box' have some thoughts on her performances.  Dave :)

I found her contribution to "The Real" box a pleasant surprise. She is a very good Chopin interpreter, one on the best on the set. But I wouldn't call it "historically informed", rather excellent Classic style Chopin that happens to be performed on a Érard. A pianist of an older generation, and actually no longer with us... she passed away in 2011. She also did a complete Chopin set on the Polish Dux label.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatiana_Shebanova

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on May 17, 2021, 09:37:34 AM
I found her contribution to "The Real" box a pleasant surprise. She is a very good Chopin interpreter, one on the best on the set. But I wouldn't call it "historically informed", rather excellent Classic style Chopin that happens to be performed on a Érard. A pianist of an older generation, and actually no longer with us... she passed away in 2011. She also did a complete Chopin set on the Polish Dux label.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatiana_Shebanova

Thanks Que for the comments - I read the Wiki bio this morning; died at only 58 years old (no cause given?); attached is a single review of her Dux recordings from MusicWeb, assume on a modern piano - the reviewer felt she was equal to Ohlsson's performances - a couple reviews in Fanfare of her Chopin works w/ orchestra were less flattering (not attached).  My only 'complete solo' set of Chopin is w/ Pietro De Maria.

Checking Spotify, the orchestral recordings are present along w/ a half dozen or so single albums from 'The Real Chopin' (recording dates in the first decade of 2000, as expected) - I'm assuming that this 'new' box offering are these recordings plus more, including the orchestral works?  Dave :)

jlopes

September. Nothing else matters.

Madiel

Quote from: jlopes on May 19, 2021, 05:54:09 AM

Here I am with the existing albums on my "to listen to at some point" list, and the whole freaking box appears on the horizon.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: jlopes on May 19, 2021, 05:54:09 AM

I already have this:

but guess what? I'll get the Gerhaher box too.  :D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

The new erato

Fully understandable I would say. I have the Hyperion collection as well BTW.

j winter

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 16, 2021, 12:41:07 AM
I listened to the whole thing, with great pleasure. There is also a set of the Paris symphonies.

Actually there's also a set of the whole enchilada, well worth a listen...

https://www.amazon.com/Haydn-Complete-Symphonies-Ernst-M%C3%A4rzendorfer/dp/B07KQB31H1

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

North Star

Quote from: The new erato on May 20, 2021, 06:08:40 AM
Fully understandable I would say. I have the Hyperion collection as well BTW.
+1
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

bhodges

Coming in June, Gustavo Dudamel and the Los Angeles Philharmonic in Mahler 8, recorded at Walt Disney Concert Hall in May 2019 as the season finale. Sounds like the sonics could be excellent. More info here:

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/classical-news/gustavo-dudamel-mahler-symphony-8/

--Bruce

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on May 15, 2021, 01:11:53 PM

Wow! Would you possibly post your review and opinion later?

Brian

JULY STUFF

(A very adventurous month for repertoire in general - not a lot of warhorses in this batch!!)

Haselbock plays Op 4 (CD1) and JJ plays Op 7 (CD2)

Brian

More JULY stuff ...

"This album concludes The Brahms Trio's five-volume survey of the piano trio in Russia with remarkable works by composers whose names have all but disappeared from the musical world's collective memory. Vladimir Dyck, a student of Widor at the Paris Conservatoire, took French nationality in 1910 but his life came to a tragic end when he and his family were arrested in 1943 and sent to Auschwitz. His Piano Trio, Op. 25 contrasts Russian soulfulness with the lightness and deft scoring he brought to his film compositions. Constantin von Sternberg's genial Op.104 reflects his career as a virtuoso pianist, while Sergey Youferov's expansive and nostalgic Op.52 is a farewell to the Russian 'Silver Age', a world about to be destroyed by revolution."

World premiere recordings of all three works