New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

staxomega

Quote from: Brian on June 18, 2021, 11:37:25 AM
Of interest to me and maybe two other people in the Fukuma Cult:

Bechstein

Where do cult members suggest starting with him? I just downloaded his Takemitsu disc, I'll give it a listen this evening.

Brian

Quote from: hvbias on June 18, 2021, 11:53:54 AM
Where do cult members suggest starting with him? I just downloaded his Takemitsu disc, I'll give it a listen this evening.
My favorites would be the Debussy album and Albeniz Iberia (which used to have a double album version with a half-hour of bonus material, almost impossible to find now sadly). I like the Russian album "Dumka" as well, and all of his eccentric fashion choices on album covers, in which department that new Bach album may come second place to the wild styling on his Beethoven sonatas recital:

(Todd's comments on the Beethoven)

Roy Bland

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Brian on June 18, 2021, 12:05:14 PM
My favorites would be the Debussy album and Albeniz Iberia (which used to have a double album version with a half-hour of bonus material, almost impossible to find now sadly). I like the Russian album "Dumka" as well, and all of his eccentric fashion choices on album covers, in which department that new Bach album may come second place to the wild styling on his Beethoven sonatas recital:

I found his Takemitsu and Beethoven discs excellent, while the Albeniz set was good/fair. I will check the Bach transcription. His Albeniz recording on YT is more than 80 mnts. Is it a single disc recording?

DaveF

Quote from: Roy Bland on June 18, 2021, 07:01:23 PM

Can everybody else see the link in Roy's post?  To me it just looks like a blank message, yet when I quote from it I can see the link.  (Now it looks as though the quote may not be visible in this message.)  Chamber music by Ustvolskaya, which I'm sure is worth a listen.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

staxomega

Quote from: Brian on June 18, 2021, 12:05:14 PM

Thanks, I liked the Takemitsu disc, I will check out the others! On the topic of cults I see that Gianluca Cascioli has an Italian 20th century disc that came out in 2019, I can't recall if that was announced in this thread. I listened to it last night and found it just as good as his 900 Austria Germany CD.

vers la flamme

Quote from: DaveF on June 20, 2021, 05:21:56 AM
Can everybody else see the link in Roy's post?  To me it just looks like a blank message, yet when I quote from it I can see the link.  (Now it looks as though the quote may not be visible in this message.)  Chamber music by Ustvolskaya, which I'm sure is worth a listen.

I can see it in Roy's original post. Likely a browser issue on your part. It does look like an interesting disc.

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on June 13, 2021, 09:29:09 AM
I don't know the organist, but the record company and the organ  (and the composer) are definitely right!  :)

https://www.aeolus-music.com/ae_en/All-Discs/AE11291-Bach-Johann-Sebastian-The-Art-of-Fugue
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

T. D.

Quote from: DaveF on June 20, 2021, 05:21:56 AM

Same here, can't see the image but see the link in quote. That's happened to me before on the forum.

But the .jpg shows a Russian-labeled Melodiya release, with no performers or works listed, just "chamber music".
Given Melodiya, I doubt this could be a "new release". Maybe a reissue?

Mandryka

This

https://melody.su/en/catalog/classic/51132/

Quote from: T. D. on June 20, 2021, 07:35:22 AM
Same here, can't see the image but see the link in quote. That's happened to me before on the forum.

But the .jpg shows a Russian-labeled Melodiya release, with no performers or works listed, just "chamber music".
Given Melodiya, I doubt this could be a "new release". Maybe a reissue?

T. D.

Quote from: Mandryka on June 20, 2021, 07:36:58 AM
This

https://melody.su/en/catalog/classic/51132/

Thanks. Definitely reissued material. Pretty sure I have all of it (and more! methinks they could have fit add'l music onto the 2 discs) on these ancient releases:

Not certain the new recording and the old Megadisc feature the identical Malov piano sonata performances, but not sufficiently interested to investigate further.

Mandryka

https://superpang.bandcamp.com/album/christian-marclay-graffiti-composition

This is the second commercial recording of a Christian Marclay's Graffiti Compositiom - which was made from graffiti. The first is very good, outstanding music and performance,  so I'm keen to hear this.

Mandryka

This is based on Luc Ferrari's Les Anecdotiques. It's more of the same, but it's very good more of the same! On spotify.

mabuse

Nice find, Mandryka.

I listen on their Bandcamp website : https://langhamresearchcentre.bandcamp.com/

Mandryka

Quote from: mabuse on June 20, 2021, 03:09:53 PM
Nice find, Mandryka.

I listen on their Bandcamp website : https://langhamresearchcentre.bandcamp.com/

It's extraordinary how field recordings can make such satisfying music (I'm listening now to Les Anecdotiques - it's really good stuff.)

aukhawk

QuoteCan everybody else see the link in Roy's post?  To me it just looks like a blank message, yet when I quote from it I can see the link.  (Now it looks as though the quote may not be visible in this message.)  Chamber music by Ustvolskaya, which I'm sure is worth a listen.

Quote from: T. D. on June 20, 2021, 07:35:22 AM

It's a browser default setting that will have been altered during some recent update.  As a result some browsers which were previously tolerant of 'mixed' content now are not.  The security police are tightening the screws.

'Mixed' content means that a secure website (such as GMG) may have embedded content (eg images) from other servers which are not themselves 'secure'.  Where this happens and the browser is not tolerant of this - you get a blank.  (I use quotes to indicate how contemptible I think all this stuff is.)

Madiel

It's also possible that some people might have an issue when a post is nothing but a picture?

I raise this because I used to see people place a single full stop before the picture. Or was that because the software used to require that?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

"Karl Böhm: All recordings on Decca & Philips"
39 CDs

publication date/month unknown, it's a nearly blank entry on amazon.de

The new erato

Quote from: ultralinear on June 21, 2021, 04:13:24 AM
I don't think it's that in my case.  I will sometimes post a cover shot and nothing else in the WAYLT thread, for the simple reason that I have nothing informative to add to what is displayed there.  These show up fine.  However Roy's post displayed as a total blank in my browser (Chrome) - but I could see the image when I pasted the URL into the browser address bar.  So I guess it's an issue with the checks applied when the browser follows links.

I think aukhawk probably has it right.  Recently I noticed that File Explorer in Windows 10 no longer automatically refreshes folder contents when files are added - for example, when scanning cover art into the Pictures folder.  Apparently this is a known feature consequent on a recent Windows update, only fixable with a registry edit. >:(
displaying the Amazon ASIN number required a caracter before the number reference.

Madiel

Quote from: The new erato on June 21, 2021, 10:56:24 AM
displaying the Amazon ASIN number required a caracter before the number reference.

Ah, is THAT what I was thinking of?

Sorry for the deviation. Carry on.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!