New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Time to turn your minds to AUGUST

9 CD box:

The first time I've ever seen "unedited live recordings" bragged about on an album cover:

Langgaard vanguard:

This appears to be chamber music in a variety of pieces, including several which have a soprano and chamber ensemble.

Tailleferre - Violin Sonata No. 1
Durosoir - Aquarelles
Elgar - Violin Sonata
Clarke - Morpheus, Chinese Puzzle
These are members of the Kungsbacka Piano Trio.

It also appears that about six months' worth of CPO releases which have not been picked up by Naxos for global distribution will finally be getting into the pipeline. So if you, like me, have been wondering why there are supply issues in the US with recent CPO stuff, and why Presto doesn't have audio samples, that should finally be solved by August.

vers la flamme

^That Kapustin disc looks excellent! Good to see more of his works being recorded.

JBS

Sept 17

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on June 22, 2021, 06:17:51 AM
It also appears that about six months' worth of CPO releases which have not been picked up by Naxos for global distribution will finally be getting into the pipeline. So if you, like me, have been wondering why there are supply issues in the US with recent CPO stuff, and why Presto doesn't have audio samples, that should finally be solved by August.

I can't help wondering whether JPC's inability to cope with credit cards caused the snag.  :laugh:
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Lukas Huisman's has some Xenakis on YouTube, and it is a real revelation, so I expect this to be good, and it certainly sounds good. It's just that I've never been so keen on the music!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Mandryka

T. D.

Quote from: Mandryka on June 25, 2021, 10:11:18 AM
This is wonderful. Acoustic, fresh, complex.

https://firehouse12records.com/album/12-comp-zim-2017

Thanks for mentioning this. I saw good comments on this elsewhere, and considered purchase.
But I'm a physical media-preferring dinosaur, and the physical release of this set is on Blu-Ray CDs. I don't own a Blu-Ray player, so passed.

It's rather irritating...if I had a Blu-Ray player, I'd definitely buy Braxton's Trillium J opera (regular CDs plus Blu-Ray DVDs) and likely this Zim 2017 (Blu-Ray CDs) as well.
But the sets aren't cheap to begin with, and the added cost of a Blu-Ray player takes it all over the line.

Mandryka

Quote from: T. D. on June 25, 2021, 11:02:52 AM
Thanks for mentioning this. I saw good comments on this elsewhere, and considered purchase.
But I'm a physical media-preferring dinosaur, and the physical release of this set is on Blu-Ray CDs. I don't own a Blu-Ray player, so passed.

It's rather irritating...if I had a Blu-Ray player, I'd definitely buy Braxton's Trillium J opera (regular CDs plus Blu-Ray DVDs) and likely this Zim 2017 (Blu-Ray CDs) as well.
But the sets aren't cheap to begin with, and the added cost of a Blu-Ray player takes it all over the line.

In Europe I can hear it through Qobuz. Why don't you consider sorting an account for yourself, possibly with a VPN?

It's interesting that Braxton recordings are high value luxury items. Adorno must be turning in his grave.

staxomega

Like most Braxton compositions I've heard it sounds more like free improvisation? Oh dear or has what I've just posted taken this thread into a dark and dangerous place  ;D

bhodges

A new recording of Bartók's Bluebeard's Castle, with soprano Szilvia Vörös, bass Mika Kares, conductor Susanna Mälkki, and the Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra. Among many outstanding versions of this piece, this looks promising.

[asin]B08VLQKCZJ[/asin]

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brewski on June 25, 2021, 03:30:05 PM
A new recording of Bartók's Bluebeard's Castle, with soprano Szilvia Vörös, bass Mika Kares, conductor Susanna Mälkki, and the Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra. Among many outstanding versions of this piece, this looks promising.

[asin]B08VLQKCZJ[/asin]

--Bruce

I bought this when it was released in March here in the US, but I still haven't listened to it yet. :-\

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 25, 2021, 04:43:18 PM
I bought this when it was released in March here in the US, but I still haven't listened to it yet. :-\

For some reason I thought you'd already given your imprimatur to this one.

The Musicweb review is odd:

"There are many magnificent recordings of the work, most notably those conducted by the Hungarians Antal Doráti (Presto special Mercury CD, or download 4343252), János Ferencsik (Hungaroton HCD11486 or HCD11001 or HCD12254, with different soloists – see Ralph Moore's 2018 Survey), and Iván Fischer (Channel Classics/Philips, now Decca 4706332, download only: Recording of the Month – review). But no matter how many alternatives you have, Susanna Mälkki's performance brings special qualities in abundance and is not to be missed."

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Jun/Bartok-Bluebeard-BIS2388.htm

Was the author trying to avoid pushback for unkind comments about Ludwig/Berry/Kertesz, or was he really not aware that it's considered the classic recording?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on June 25, 2021, 06:02:54 PM
For some reason I thought you'd already given your imprimatur to this one.

The Musicweb review is odd:

"There are many magnificent recordings of the work, most notably those conducted by the Hungarians Antal Doráti (Presto special Mercury CD, or download 4343252), János Ferencsik (Hungaroton HCD11486 or HCD11001 or HCD12254, with different soloists – see Ralph Moore's 2018 Survey), and Iván Fischer (Channel Classics/Philips, now Decca 4706332, download only: Recording of the Month – review). But no matter how many alternatives you have, Susanna Mälkki's performance brings special qualities in abundance and is not to be missed."

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Jun/Bartok-Bluebeard-BIS2388.htm

Was the author trying to avoid pushback for unkind comments about Ludwig/Berry/Kertesz, or was he really not aware that it's considered the classic recording?

I mean I hate to be rude to the reviewer for whom I do not know, but to not mention the Troyanos/Nimsgern/Boulez recording makes me a bit weary to give this review a full read, especially since this Boulez performance is my favorite recording of my favorite piece of music. As much as I love the Ludwig/Berry/Kertész recording, it has become a performance I don't listen to a whole lot when I want to hear this opera. I also love Otter/Tomlinson/Haitink and may even prefer it to some degree over the Kertész. Another favorite is Varady/Fischer-Dieskau/Sawallisch, but I think the weak link here is Sawallisch as I don't think he brings enough intensity to the performance, but Varady and Fischer-Dieskau are top-drawer.

Brian

At the bottom there are links to two more MW reviews - Dan Morgan's is (as usual for the author) the most helpful.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on June 25, 2021, 06:35:26 PM
At the bottom there are links to two more MW reviews - Dan Morgan's is (as usual for the author) the most helpful.

Ah yes, I've read quite a few of Dan Morgan's reviews and he's good a writer. Oh and you're not too shabby yourself, Brian. ;)

Mandryka

Quote from: hvbias on June 25, 2021, 03:07:15 PM
Like most Braxton compositions I've heard it sounds more like free improvisation? Oh dear or has what I've just posted taken this thread into a dark and dangerous place  ;D

No, the short answer is that the improvisation isn't free. It is no more free than a graphic or text score.

But what prompted my attention in your post is the idea that music sounds improvised, as if you can hear that the performer is improvising. I'm sure there's some truth in this, but how? What do you hear which gives you confidence that improvisation is taking place?

Mandryka

Mandryka

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on June 26, 2021, 05:54:51 AM

https://www.linnrecords.com/recording-echoes-old-hall

And it is excellent -- champagne! English champagne. Extremely well recorded too.