New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: j winter on July 20, 2021, 12:07:31 PM
Great googly-moogly!  I wonder how many discs are in that brick?

The problem with these mega-sets is that they involve so much duplication -- like many folks here, I've already got most of his classic Mozart, Schubert, Beethoven, etc.  But I imagine there's some interesting older stuff in there... and they've likely remastered some things since I bought them... and it would look awfully swanky up on the shelf...

Grrr!   >:(    ;D   

Yup. Everything that's in the Late Years box and the Symphonies Box (Mozart, Schubert, Beethoven, Brahms) - 45 discs duplicated right there  >:(. Plus the 29 cd box A Life in Music, the Strauss tone poems one...

vers la flamme

Quote from: Brian on July 20, 2021, 06:59:22 AM
SEPTEMBER

More and more Pärt being recorded every year it seems. I love to see it, though I know others, not such fans of his music, are probably sick of it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 20, 2021, 03:43:14 PM
More and more Pärt being recorded every year it seems. I love to see it, though I know others, not such fans of his music, are probably sick of it.

I'm actually more sick of seeing Weinberg's Chamber Symphonies or Piano Quintet getting new recordings. Not that I'm not a fan of these works, but Weinberg's oeuvre is quite large and I'm sure there's something that hasn't been recorded yet or a work that has only one recording. Pärt's best music, for me, dates from the mid-70s through the 80s. I lost interest after this period as I felt he was just beating a dead horse stylistically-speaking and not really coming up with anything new or fresh.

relm1

Quote from: Brian on July 20, 2021, 06:59:22 AM

Full of world-premiere recordings, String Theory is an album of works by Pierre Jalbert, an American composer described in The New Yorker as "an acknowledged chamber-music master." Drawing on influences as diverse as medieval plainchant, the natural world and his French-Canadian heritage, Pierre Jalbert creates music that is "Rhapsodic and skillfully written" (The New York Times). We hear three pieces for string orchestra, all performed by the dynamic Kinetic ensemble. String Theory was inspired by the concept of quantum gravity and uses an array of techniques including harmonics, rapid bowing and vibrating strings; Autumn Rhapsody muses on nature's colorful autumnal display; and Elegy is a lyrical chorale. In Terra, for full orchestra and performed by the Shepherd School Symphony Orchestra, reflects on the earth's developmental processes, slowly evolving or suddenly changing. Jalbert's String Quartet No. 3 was commissioned by the Maia Quartet, which plays the work on this album; the piece unfolds in a series of evocative scenes.

I adore Pierre Jalbert's music and this is definitely on my must own list.  Highly seconded. 

Madiel

Since when is there a Faure cello concerto?

Do they mean the Elegie and are just being sloppy?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Quote from: Madiel on July 21, 2021, 12:21:33 AM
Since when is there a Faure cello concerto?

Do they mean the Elegie and are just being sloppy?
Track list is not posted yet, but the description mentions "concertos by Saint-Saens, Lalo, and Honegger" and there being five total works on the album, so there could be two short Fauré pieces, or the Élégie and SS's Swan.

Brian

Quote from: j winter on July 20, 2021, 12:07:31 PM
Great googly-moogly!  I wonder how many discs are in that brick?

The problem with these mega-sets is that they involve so much duplication -- like many folks here, I've already got most of his classic Mozart, Schubert, Beethoven, etc.  But I imagine there's some interesting older stuff in there... and they've likely remastered some things since I bought them... and it would look awfully swanky up on the shelf...

Grrr!   >:(    ;D   
68 CDs, and don't forget this is ALSO coming out:

We also have a lot more detail on the Furtwangler Big Box (click each image to expand it):

Not sure one CD of mostly encores counts as a "treasury" of previously unissued material.
EDIT: Also imagine writing a whole paragraph about how this is super painstaking and perfect and so much attention and so much care...and then writing "Edwin Fisher"

j winter

Quote from: Brian on July 21, 2021, 06:40:46 AM

We also have a lot more detail on the Furtwangler Big Box (click each image to expand it):

Not sure one CD of mostly encores counts as a "treasury" of previously unissued material.
EDIT: Also imagine writing a whole paragraph about how this is super painstaking and perfect and so much attention and so much care...and then writing "Edwin Fisher"

That's a very carefully, dare I say craftily worded description of the set's scope... to take just one obvious example, Furtwangler is especially well-regarded for his Bruckner, yet the only Bruckner I see in the list above is a excerpt from Symphony #7.  So it's hardly the complete WF.  I was wondering how on earth they were fitting everything onto 55 CDs, when the DG/Decca brick I own runs to 34 discs by itself, and as I recall there was another big WF box from several years back that ran to over 100 discs.... still, I would have jumped at something like this 10-15 years ago, when I was tracking down a lot of this stuff individually...
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

JBS

Quote from: j winter on July 21, 2021, 07:09:35 AM
That's a very carefully, dare I say craftily worded description of the set's scope... to take just one obvious example, Furtwangler is especially well-regarded for his Bruckner, yet the only Bruckner I see in the list above is a excerpt from Symphony #7.  So it's hardly the complete WF.  I was wondering how on earth they were fitting everything onto 55 CDs, when the DG/Decca brick I own runs to 34 discs by itself, and as I recall there was another big WF box from several years back that ran to over 100 discs.... still, I would have jumped at something like this 10-15 years ago, when I was tracking down a lot of this stuff individually...

The description gives the escape hatch:  it's every live recording he made.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

André

Quote from: relm1 on July 20, 2021, 05:07:52 PM
I adore Pierre Jalbert's music and this is definitely on my must own list.  Highly seconded.

+1 on both counts

Mirror Image

Finally we have pack shot of this box set:

But I do wonder if it's design with be similar to their Debussy, Ravel and Berlioz where the discs slide out from the side.

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 22, 2021, 06:59:23 AM
Finally we have pack shot of this box set:

What very attractive and appealing artwork.

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on July 22, 2021, 07:00:55 AM
What very attractive and appealing artwork.

Indeed. A gorgeous looking set.

T. D.

Quote from: relm1 on July 20, 2021, 05:07:52 PM
Thanks (to both) for posting, don't know of the composer but will likely go for this.

Mandryka

Who says you can't make money out of a good crisis?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

That release, from a few months ago, involved the performer commissioning a variety of solitude/aloneness themed solo works from composers all around the world, from elegiac reflections to a piece about finally getting to clean the house. Each composer contributes a written note and an image from lockdown in the booklet.

Brian

Continuation of the September info from the previous page...

Songs for "high tenor" (NOT countertenor)

For those curious given Norrington's age and health, the concerto recordings date from 2019.

"Start of the most comprehensive Bruckner Symphonies Edition incl. all available 19 versions."

T. D.

Quote from: Mandryka on July 22, 2021, 11:27:23 AM

Who says you can't make money out of a good crisis?

I'll be astonished if the performer makes any (let alone significant) money from this recording. Would be very surprised if the label makes any money apart from their (presumed) upfront fee.

André

I note that the red lettering of that disc spells SOS.

Quite in the (di)spirit of the times... ::)

SonicMan46

Well w/ such beautiful eyes, I had to see her face uncovered!  :laugh:  Dave