New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

André

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 22, 2021, 01:29:30 PM
Well w/ such beautiful eyes, I had to see her face uncovered!  :laugh:  Dave

Even her complexion looks improved !

Madiel

Quote from: aligreto on July 22, 2021, 07:00:55 AM
What very attractive and appealing artwork.

Whatever the merits of the actual recordings (and I'm not saying they're bad), Warner's design department have been at the top of their game with all of these composer box sets. They're really impressive.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

SonicMan46

Quote from: André on July 22, 2021, 01:47:33 PM
Even her complexion looks improved !

André - LOL!  :laugh:  Actually, she had a couple of small moles on the right side on her cheek which I 'cleaned-up' w/ Pixelmator on my Apple laptop, just took a few seconds and made an improvement - NOW, how to you know her face so intimately?   ;) 8)  Dave

André

I couldn't have known about her moles but at least she doesn't look jaundiced any more  :D

Karl Henning

It's probably been there forever, but I've only just found the breakdown of the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra box. Very excited.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 22, 2021, 04:36:44 PM
It's probably been there forever, but I've only just found the breakdown of the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra box. Very excited.
Me too. Genuinely excited to hear every single disc except the Mozart flute concertos, Tchaikovsky Rococo, and maybe that mysterious Classical Hits collection.

Edit: Classical Hits track list https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8078814--classical-hits

Mirror Image

A reissue, but I wonder if this is some kind of deluxe edition or something:

Mirror Image

Forthcoming:

I only brought this up because I wanted to say that I'm thrilled that CPO didn't pick the worst overtures from Rossini. Now, that would've been disappointing. ::) ;D

Madiel

But what if they'd gone for the middling/kind of okay overtures? Would you have been tempted?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 22, 2021, 09:25:52 PM
Forthcoming:

I only brought this up because I wanted to say that I'm thrilled that CPO didn't pick the worst overtures from Rossini. Now, that wouldn't been disappointing. ::) ;D

The second volume will be The Worst Overtures and the third will be The Run-Of-The-Mill Overtures.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

The new erato

I want i disc of a dime a dozen ouvertures, No more, No less.

Florestan

Quote from: The new erato on July 23, 2021, 05:03:14 AM

That would be Schubert's overtures. He's one of my top three composers and my heart cringes having to say that his operatic overtures are unbelievably dull and unmemorable.

They never released a second volume.

The new erato

Quote from: Florestan on July 23, 2021, 05:07:36 AM
That would be Schubert's overtures. He's one of my top three composers and my heart cringes having to say that his operatic overtures are unbelievably dull and unmemorable.

They never released a second volume.
I get that. Strange how he could put mindbending and heartwrenching drama into a three minute Lied, and go on disastrously boring for hours in his "dramatic" works.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on July 23, 2021, 03:52:28 AM
But what if they'd gone for the middling/kind of okay overtures? Would you have been tempted?
Quote from: The new erato on July 23, 2021, 05:03:14 AM
Quote from: Florestan on July 23, 2021, 04:55:59 AM
The second volume will be The Worst Overtures and the third will be The Run-Of-The-Mill Overtures.

:P

Madiel

You know what? Now I really, really want someone to put out an album called Overblown Overtures.

Florestan

Quote from: The new erato on July 23, 2021, 05:40:54 AM
I get that. Strange how he could put mindbending and heartwrenching drama into a three minute Lied, and go on disastrously boring for hours in his "dramatic" works.

That's probably because he had a lyrical personality, not a dramatic one.

Now that I think of it, composers equally succesful in both opera and Lieder are quite rare: Richard Strauss is actually the only one that I can think otomh.

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on July 23, 2021, 05:50:36 AM
You know what? Now I really, really want someone to put out an album called Overblown Overtures.

Here it is.  ;D

Brian

I do love a good Rossini overture collection but the Naxos 4 CD complete edition (often available on sale as low as $12-13) has me completely satisfied for now. Not the refined first class orchestra of, say, Chailly, but a true opera pit orchestra sound, and ever so cheery.

Florestan

I have this and I'm completely satisfied.

Florestan

I'm seriously tempted by this one, should be great fun.  :)