New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alek Hidell on July 29, 2021, 06:59:30 PM
Good to know. Thanks, John. I haven't used them or bought anything from them but I keep considering it.

You're welcome. If I didn't own my current CD collection, Qobuz would be a service I'd most definitely consider for streaming.

Madiel

If you want to sample Hyperion recordings, extracts of every track are readily available legally - 90 seconds each on iTunes for example.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

The new erato

Eloquence is rereleasing the Lindsay's complete Bartok. Any good?

amw

Better than I was expecting at least. I can't say it's in my top ten cycles, but then I collect those like fleas, so I may not be the best person to judge.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on July 23, 2021, 05:07:36 AM
That would be Schubert's overtures. He's one of my top three composers and my heart cringes having to say that his operatic overtures are unbelievably dull and unmemorable.

They never released a second volume.

What's the saying?— Even Homer nods.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: The new erato on July 23, 2021, 05:40:54 AM
I get that. Strange how he could put mindbending and heartwrenching drama into a three minute Lied, and go on disastrously boring for hours in his "dramatic" works.

I feel for the musicians. "Lost time is not found again."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on July 29, 2021, 12:35:26 PM
And since Hyperion sells digital downloads at a great price, pirating their catalog seems even worse.

No kidding!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on July 23, 2021, 05:51:34 AM
That's probably because he had a lyrical personality, not a dramatic one.

Now that I think of it, composers equally succesful in both opera and Lieder are quite rare: Richard Strauss is actually the only one that I can think otomh.

What's your quarrel with Haydn?

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mandryka

Now that I think of it, composers equally succesful in both opera and Lieder are quite rare: Richard Strauss is actually the only one that I can think otomh.

Rihm.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on July 29, 2021, 02:08:02 PM
Do they ever have notches cut out of the side to indicate remainders/excess inventory? Thanks for the tip though. I should be buying my Hyperion from them, perhaps.

Is there such a thing as excess inventory anymore? Are there any retail stores that sell CDs, other than the three tenors, etc?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

North Star

Britten is an obvious example. Ravel, Debussy, Janáček (The Diary is the major contribution to lieder in addition to a lot of folksong arrangements but it's certainly a major one, even if the operas are more numerous.), Dvořák (Although you could say his songs and operas are equally unknown in comparison with his instrumental works, but there's certainly Rusalka and Songs my Mother taught me for some very well-known examples.), Barber and Mussorgsky, too. All of them wrote more in one genre than the other so you can always argue that their successes aren't equal, of course..

And Monteverdi, but he called them madrigals.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on July 30, 2021, 10:38:20 AM
Is there such a thing as excess inventory anymore? Are there any retail stores that sell CDs, other than the three tenors, etc?
I've been pondering that myself...current thoughts, I don't think so.  :(  Personally, I'm not keen on buying many downloads but expect that I'll be forced that way eventually.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

Quote from: Spotted Horses on July 30, 2021, 10:38:20 AM

What's your definition of a retail store? As I understand it I could walk into Presto Classical if I was anywhere near Leamington Spa.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on July 22, 2021, 06:57:11 PM
Me too. Genuinely excited to hear every single disc except the Mozart flute concertos, Tchaikovsky Rococo, and maybe that mysterious Classical Hits collection.

Edit: Classical Hits track list https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8078814--classical-hits

True, none of those discs would compel a purchase, but one may find them an agreeable "palate-cleanser." :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

marvinbrown

It seems that a new Ring Cycle is in the works.

[asin]B0146RZ98K[/asin]

[asin]B084QM57WC[/asin]

Anyone know if there are plans to complete the cycle?

Mirror Image

Quote from: marvinbrown on July 31, 2021, 03:45:43 AM

It seems that a new Ring Cycle is in the works.

[asin]B0146RZ98K[/asin]

[asin]B084QM57WC[/asin]

Anyone know if there are plans to complete the cycle?

God, I hope not. :)

marvinbrown

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 31, 2021, 05:48:36 AM
God, I hope not. :)

Why? First two got great reviews, solid singing and great sound! Although I have not heard them I'm intrigued!

Mirror Image

Quote from: marvinbrown on July 31, 2021, 06:27:57 AM
  Why? First two got great reviews, solid singing and great sound! Although I have not heard them I'm intrigued!

Rattle's best work is far behind him and I feel he's just milking the Germanic repertoire at this juncture. He was a never a good conductor of Romantic Era music anyway.

marvinbrown

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 31, 2021, 06:35:20 AM
Rattle's best work is far behind him and I feel he's just milking the Germanic repertoire at this juncture. He was a never a good conductor of Romantic Era music anyway.

Oh thank you I did not know that.  I don't have a lot of Rattle recordings to judge.