New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Artem on August 02, 2021, 11:33:30 PM

https://moderecords.com/catalog/328parmegiani/
https://www.soundohm.com/article/bernard-parmegiani-stries

Listening to it again I appreciate the sound, but Parmegiano's music is too formless for me - or at least all I hear is a random concatenation of nice sounds.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 04, 2021, 06:35:51 PM
Coming in September:

The Hamlet and King Lear music is fabulous!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 05, 2021, 09:48:28 AM
The Hamlet and King Lear music is fabulous!

It is, indeed. I'm looking forward to this set.

Mandryka

https://pavlikrecords.sk/en/classical/pascal-dusapin

New Dusapin violin solos and a piece for violin and piano - first impressions very positive.

Brian

SEPTEMBER CONTINUED

Several important musicians applied to succeed Johann Kuhnau after his death in 1722. In the recruitment process, the Leipzig city council was able to choose from the most famous personalities of the time: The first choice was Georg Philipp Telemann, who declined, however, after he had obtained a decent salary increase at his Hamburg post. The next two candidates were Johann Friedrich Fasch and Christoph Graupner - Fasch, knowing about Telemann's application, had accepted another position and Graupner would have become Thomaskantor, but his employer in Darmstadt would not let him go. Only the third choice, as is generally known, fell on Johann Sebastian Bach ... In his program "Leipzig 1723", Stefan Temmingh recalls this major moment in music history and presents recorder concertos by all four competitors.

PR material notes Variation 25 is "30% slower than usual" and also notes the use of the Barenboim/Maine straight strung grand piano.

From Alpha, no cover art yet:

L'ORFEO
Composer(s):   MONTEVERDI, CLAUDIO
Artist(s):   CAPPELLA MEDITERRANEA CHOEUR DE CHAMBRE DE NAMUR ALARCON
Label:   ALPHA (ALP)

CON BRIO
Composer(s):   BEETHOVEN STRAUSS WIDMANN
Artist(s):   WIDMANN IRISH CHAMBER ORCHESTRA
Label:   ALPHA (ALP)

Jorg Widmann as composer, clarinetist, conductor: his own "Con Brio," R. Strauss' Duett-Concertino, Beethoven 7

T. D.

The Cziffra box is interesting. Looks to be almost a straight reissue of the French EMI 40-CD Ses Enregistrements Studio 1956-1986 box. Presumably the 1 additional disc includes the Tokyo 1967 studio recital and the 1957 live Tchaikovsky PC 1.

JBS

Eschenbach did a nice Brahms cycle at Houston (on ci-devant Virgin now Erato)

Contents of these 2?
(And performers for that matter: those groups are unknown to me
)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

Selig

Stumbled upon that Doeselaar-Sweelinck some weeks ago on Spotify, liked what I heard, and saved the mystical Ricercar on the ninth tone to my favourites list.

Selig

new English suites on harpsichord - anyone familliar with this performer?

Holden

Quote from: T. D. on August 05, 2021, 05:28:58 PM
The Cziffra box is interesting. Looks to be almost a straight reissue of the French EMI 40-CD Ses Enregistrements Studio 1956-1986 box. Presumably the 1 additional disc includes the Tokyo 1967 studio recital and the 1957 live Tchaikovsky PC 1.

You've answered the question that was immediately raised when I saw this set. The Cziffra EMI 40 CD set is amazing and currently out of stock. Used copies are selling from $400 upwards and when I consider how much mine cost I heave a sigh of relief. If you missed out on the EMI then definitely grab this one. I can't see a price anywhere.
Cheers

Holden

Artem

Quote from: Mandryka on August 05, 2021, 09:43:19 AM
Listening to it again I appreciate the sound, but Parmegiano's music is too formless for me - or at least all I hear is a random concatenation of nice sounds.
I appreciate your comment. It seemed intriguing. Don't know. Maybe I will pass.

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on August 05, 2021, 05:16:16 PM
SEPTEMBER CONTINUED

At last, the indecision that has been a factor in me not exploring Bruckner is catered for.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

prémont

Quote from: Selig on August 05, 2021, 11:16:23 PM

new English suites on harpsichord - anyone familliar with this performer?

I have owned her Goldberg variations, culled them. Rather unimaginative deliberate note-true rhytmically inflexible playing. And her harpsichord doesn't sound that period. You can hear some clips here (English suites recorded 2017):

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/englische-suiten-bwv-809-811/hnum/10306063

Some biographic details:

https://www.eroica-klassikforum.de/forum/index.php?thread/4268-b%C3%BChler-kestler-eleonore-1930-cembalo/
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Carlo Gesualdo

Hello folks, I purchase this morning a new release it's rad, it'S called DEL CANTO GITANO Music of Ancient Andalusia, it featured spanish guitar , surreal voice, very melodic very pleasant
, the ensemble is Ignacio Lusardi Monteverde, it'S super stuff.

Brian

Quote from: JBS on August 05, 2021, 06:37:48 PM
Eschenbach did a nice Brahms cycle at Houston (on ci-devant Virgin now Erato)

Contents of these 2?
(And performers for that matter: those groups are unknown to me
)

Sure. Nevermind is a quartet that does trio sonatas, sonatas, other chamber pieces - the headliner is Jean Rondeau on harpsichord but I've also heard of flautist Anna Besson. Their previous album is Telemann.

The second disc is a Montreal-based outfit making its debut and apparently it's all chamber arrangements, tributes to, and remixes of Mahler, but detailed contents listings were not available.

T. D.

Quote from: Holden on August 06, 2021, 12:18:29 AM
You've answered the question that was immediately raised when I saw this set. The Cziffra EMI 40 CD set is amazing and currently out of stock. Used copies are selling from $400 upwards and when I consider how much mine cost I heave a sigh of relief. If you missed out on the EMI then definitely grab this one. I can't see a price anywhere.

There's one on discogs for $225, but that's about to become irrelevant. I have the old French EMI 10-cd box of Cziffra's Liszt / Chopin, will have to carefully study contents of the new big box.

Mandryka

Quote from: Selig on August 05, 2021, 11:14:44 PM
Stumbled upon that Doeselaar-Sweelinck some weeks ago on Spotify, liked what I heard, and saved the mystical Ricercar on the ninth tone to my favourites list.

The same company have also rereleased his Anthoni Van Noordt CD, which for some reason I'm finding myself enjoying more than the Sweelinck.

Selig

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 06, 2021, 04:32:54 AM
I have owned her Goldberg variations, culled them. Rather unimaginative deliberate note-true rhytmically inflexible playing. And her harpsichord doesn't sound that period. You can hear some clips here (English suites recorded 2017):

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/englische-suiten-bwv-809-811/hnum/10306063

Some biographic details:

https://www.eroica-klassikforum.de/forum/index.php?thread/4268-b%C3%BChler-kestler-eleonore-1930-cembalo/

I seem to have a knack for finding the most unimaginative and note-true performances!

Thanks for the links - impressed to find she's in her 90s, but the clips don't sound very inviting.