New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on September 11, 2021, 08:09:09 PM
Walton 1 for 2 pianos?? I'm skeptical! :-\

Me, too. I'll gladly skip this release.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on September 11, 2021, 08:09:09 PM
Walton 1 for 2 pianos?? I'm skeptical! :-\

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 11, 2021, 08:09:45 PM

Being an extremely huge fan of this work, I can't miss this. This kind of rarities is always welcome to be tasted. I'm not sure about Jeffrey, but I do have a hunch.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 11, 2021, 08:09:45 PM

Yeah, I don't really see the appeal of recording piano reductions of orchestral works. Oh well, better than another Beethoven symphony recording I guess!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on September 11, 2021, 08:14:57 PM
Yeah, I don't really see the appeal of recording piano reductions of orchestral works. Oh well, better than another Beethoven symphony recording I guess!

The only appeal I can hear in these types of reductions is being able to hear how it all pieces together, but that's about it.

Madiel

Neither do I, in general.

However, having said that, the 2-piano version of Rachmaninov's Symphonic Dances, as played by Ashkenazy and Previn, is one of the most brilliant things I own so never say never.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Holden

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 11, 2021, 08:32:31 PM
The only appeal I can hear in these types of reductions is being able to hear how it all pieces together, but that's about it.

It was the Liszt piano reduction that really opened up Beethoven's 8th symphony for me.
Cheers

Holden

Spotted Horses

This statement is too general to make any sense. Some piano "reductions" are simply a practical measure to enable a person to hear music that would otherwise be inaccessible to them. Others are a reimagining of the orchestral work which qualify as a works of art in their own right. The two piano version of Brahms' Haydn variations is magnificent. The two piano versions of the Debussy orchestral works made me understand that the "color" I was hearing was mostly harmony, and not orchestration, as I had previously believed. I can think of numerous piano reductions which are at least as interesting as the orchestral versions of the same piece.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brian

Quote from: Madiel on September 11, 2021, 09:27:04 PM

However, having said that, the 2-piano version of Rachmaninov's Symphonic Dances, as played by Ashkenazy and Previn, is one of the most brilliant things I own so never say never.
That is one of my favorite performances of anything ever. It's like they're on fire.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on September 12, 2021, 06:22:34 AM
That is one of my favorite performances of anything ever. It's like they're on fire.

A damn fine performance, indeed.

Pohjolas Daughter

Interesting!  When did they record it?  I'll have to see if I can find it to listen to.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 12, 2021, 04:44:36 AM
This statement is too general to make any sense. Some piano "reductions" are simply a practical measure to enable a person to hear music that would otherwise be inaccessible to them. Others are a reimagining of the orchestral work which qualify as a works of art in their own right. The two piano version of Brahms' Haydn variations is magnificent. The two piano versions of the Debussy orchestral works made me understand that the "color" I was hearing was mostly harmony, and not orchestration, as I had previously believed. I can think of numerous piano reductions which are at least as interesting as the orchestral versions of the same piece.

Thanks for pointing this out!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

VonStupp

Luckily, Franz Liszt transcribed all of Beethoven's symphonies for the piano, the 9th I believe for two pianos. So you can have the best of both worlds!  :laugh:
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

ritter

Coming in January (82 CDs, plus 4 Blu-ray Discs for the "Centennial Ring"—also given in its audio only version on CD):

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/pierre-boulez-the-conductor-complete-recordings-on-deutsche-grammophon-philips/hnum/10705227

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on September 11, 2021, 09:27:04 PM

Bear in mind that the 2 piano version came into being along side the orchestral version
Rachmaninoff wrote an arrangement for two pianos concurrently with the orchestral version. This arrangement was first performed by the composer with Vladimir Horowitz at a private party in Beverly Hills, California in August 1942.
Two organs   
There exists a transcription of the entire piece by French composer/performer Jean Guillou, written for two organs.

Piano solo
There exists an unpublished transcription of the entire piece by the late Israeli pianist/composer/arranger Yahli Wagman, written between 1982-1986, for piano solo.[citation needed] There also exists a recording of Rachmaninoff playing through the piano reduction for Eugene Ormandy, during which he sings, whistles and talks about how he thinks the Dances should be performed. Rachmaninoff played the first movement coda differently to the score; these minor changes were reproduced by the pianist Stephen Kovacevich when he performed the work with Martha Argerich at his 75th birthday concert at Wigmore Hall.

(From Wikipedia)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 12, 2021, 04:44:36 AM

Amen to this.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Brian

Wow, if I had a time machine I know where I'd go in August 1942.

Madiel

Amen!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: JBS on September 12, 2021, 11:36:09 AM
Bear in mind that the 2 piano version came into being along side the orchestral version
(From Wikipedia)

Yes, I was aware. Concurrent versions seem to be better (or maybe that's just confirmation bias talking).

Madiel

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 12, 2021, 06:36:48 AM
Interesting!  When did they record it?  I'll have to see if I can find it to listen to.  :)

PD

It's from the 70s. These days it's in several Ashkenazy collections.