New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Like the Praga catalog, that box set is a 50/50 mix of original recordings and remasterings of historical material recorded by other labels. I have never understood the legality of their remastering of historical CDs. Are they licensing all this stuff? I think I own a few (like CD25, Rosenthal conducting French music) and don't remember seeing any licensing info. CD30 looks to be cribbed straight from EMI, no?

Does anybody have any insight and knowledge on how Praga works with these historic recordings?

Madiel

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 12, 2021, 03:03:06 AM
for sure dipping into unknown repertoire care of a cheap Naxos disc won't be happening now....... 

No. Because if people want to try stuff out, these days they do it on streaming services.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

Quote from: Brian on October 12, 2021, 05:04:48 PM
Like the Praga catalog, that box set is a 50/50 mix of original recordings and remasterings of historical material recorded by other labels. I have never understood the legality of their remastering of historical CDs. Are they licensing all this stuff? I think I own a few (like CD25, Rosenthal conducting French music) and don't remember seeing any licensing info. CD30 looks to be cribbed straight from EMI, no?

Does anybody have any insight and knowledge on how Praga works with these historic recordings?

Since they don't mention any licensing agreement, my guess is they use transfers from LP for recordings that are out of copyright. I suspect Hänssler does the same with their "Profil" series.

Mandryka

Lanvellec, haven't worked out if it's actually for sale yet!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

The new erato

No wonder he is thirsty after 13 symphonies.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 12, 2021, 11:20:27 PM

Lanvellec, haven't worked out if it's actually for sale yet!

According to Amazon.fr:

Cet article paraîtra le 22 octobre 2021.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Papy Oli

Quote from: The new erato on October 13, 2021, 02:30:19 AM
No wonder he is thirsty after 13 symphonies.

the Highway to Ale  :o
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 13, 2021, 03:10:14 AM
According to Amazon.fr:

Cet article paraîtra le 22 octobre 2021.

Do you have a link to it? I can't see it on Amazon.fr

Listening right now to Aymes's Froberger.

DavidW

jlopes

January from Hyperion:

(Dufay, Isaac, Binchois)

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on October 05, 2021, 07:11:14 PM

Beautiful new recording https://www.brilliantclassics.com/articles/v/van-noordt-complete-organ-music/

Working my way through the psalms in this and very much enjoying the organ, and Tomadin's way of using it - which seems to give each psalm a face of its own. Tomadin seems to me to have found a golden mean in fact, between an academic performance and an overly expressive one.

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on October 14, 2021, 12:14:45 AM
Working my way through the psalms in this and very much enjoying the organ, and Tomadin's way of using it - which seems to give each psalm a face of its own. Tomadin seems to me to have found a golden mean in fact, between an academic performance and an overly expressive one.

I get this set this week so I am curious if I would agree with you. Tomadin is not always consistent in his approach. But I like what you wrote.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Roasted Swan

Some gems for fans of British music on Dutton;

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/

Mandryka

Quote from: "Harry" on October 14, 2021, 12:29:00 AM
I get this set this week so I am curious if I would agree with you. Tomadin is not always consistent in his approach. But I like what you wrote.

My first reaction was less positive, because of his touch, there seemed to be a lot of fussy things going on. But now I've got past that negativity somehow.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on October 14, 2021, 12:14:45 AM

What would an overly expressive van Noordt sound like?

I liked his video version of Psalm 24, very poetic first verse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ4AyK4hSh8

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on October 14, 2021, 10:10:42 PM
What would an overly expressive van Noordt sound like?

I liked his video version of Psalm 24, very poetic first verse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ4AyK4hSh8

Another one maybe is Tuma at Dosky here (Good CD IMO)  (and of course Winsemius)

https://www.discogs.com/release/7122960-Jaroslav-Tůma-Historic-Organs-Of-Bohemia-I