New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

kyjo

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 14, 2021, 01:12:27 AM
Some gems for fans of British music on Dutton;

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/

Great to see Dutton releasing classical stuff again! It's been a while since they have, it seems. I'd particularly love to see more releases in their wonderfully exploratory "International" series.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Brian

mabuse

Volume 1 did not disappoint me.

JBS

I don't remember seeing this posted.

Amazon US gives the release date as October 29.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on October 15, 2021, 06:52:09 AM

I wanted to get excited about this release, but I can't. While I love both of these works, neither of them need another recording, IMHO.

Holden

Quote from: JBS on October 15, 2021, 06:36:55 PM

You can sample these here

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68351/2
Cheers

Holden

71 dB

Nice cover art!
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Do you think Stephen Hough is an interesting pianist? And if so, what makes him distinctive and/or special? The problem I have is that the music isn't streaming and I don't know whether to take a punt on him or not, especially in music where there are a zillion competing interpretations already, like these nocturnes.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on October 16, 2021, 02:59:57 AM
Do you think Stephen Hough is an interesting pianist? And if so, what makes him distinctive and/or special? The problem I have is that the music isn't streaming and I don't know whether to take a punt on him or not, especially in music where there are a zillion competing interpretations already, like these nocturnes.

What I noticed is that Hough mentions how Chopin's preference for the Pleyel played such an import role in writing this music:

"There is significance too that his indications are generally faster than later norms (the much-loved Op 27 No 2 is a startling example). Chopin's original tempi and long phrase markings encourage melodies to float in one breath across the bar lines; and his preferred Pleyel piano had a much faster decay of resonance than modern instruments, compelling the pianist to move on to the next note before the sound literally dies."

But of course, he doesn't use a Pleyel...   ::)

Todd

Quote from: Brian on October 15, 2021, 06:52:09 AM

The type of release one does not see everyday - but one wants to.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

Recorded in May of this year.

A 2022 release.  I'll be patient.  I've not bought a new Mozart sonata cycle since, like, 2020.

Todd

New recording from new lineup.

amw

Quote from: Que on October 16, 2021, 03:28:49 AM
What I noticed is that Hough mentions how Chopin's preference for the Pleyel played such an import role in writing this music:

"There is significance too that his indications are generally faster than later norms (the much-loved Op 27 No 2 is a startling example). Chopin's original tempi and long phrase markings encourage melodies to float in one breath across the bar lines; and his preferred Pleyel piano had a much faster decay of resonance than modern instruments, compelling the pianist to move on to the next note before the sound literally dies."

and he also ignores Chopin's original tempi if timings are any indication. Pianists often say these things but in the end they're always guided much more by the pianistic pedagogic tradition (& their preference for modern Steinways, Faziolis etc) than the actual intentions of the composers. It's very tiresome.

People often comment on how unnecessary it is that we have 500 recordings of the same piece, but what's always lost is that we have 500 incorrect recordings of the same piece that are all based on listening to each other rather than going back to the score. It's an endless circle-jerk.

(While I'm here and on my soapbox: listen to Tobias Koch's recording of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata)

Brian

Quote from: amw on October 16, 2021, 06:55:16 AM
(While I'm here and on my soapbox: listen to Tobias Koch's recording of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata)
While you're here, I'd be curious about your reaction to the sample clip on this page of Emma Boynet playing Schubert D. 899 No. 3 in the 1930s. To me it's breathtaking...I should just buy the darn discs.

EDIT: wow, Koch is an interesting guy...takes 3 minutes to play the first movement of the Moonlight Sonata, but takes 32 minutes to play the first movement of Schubert D. 960?

Todd

Quote from: Brian on October 16, 2021, 07:36:34 AMTo me it's breathtaking...I should just buy the darn discs.

Yes, you should - right now.  You shan't regret it.

milk

Quote from: Que on October 16, 2021, 03:28:49 AM

"There is significance too that his indications are generally faster than later norms (the much-loved Op 27 No 2 is a startling example). Chopin's original tempi and long phrase markings encourage melodies to float in one breath across the bar lines; and his preferred Pleyel piano had a much faster decay of resonance than modern instruments, compelling the pianist to move on to the next note before the sound literally dies."

Not like this:

amw

Quote from: Brian on October 16, 2021, 07:36:34 AM
While you're here, I'd be curious about your reaction to the sample clip on this page of Emma Boynet playing Schubert D. 899 No. 3 in the 1930s. To me it's breathtaking...I should just buy the darn discs.
That sounds more or less right. The tempo is Andante (a moderate tempo) and the beat is the whole note; there are two beats to a bar (not four and definitely not eight). I think I probably play it a bit slower but I'm also not a professional pianist lol. (That set of recordings looks especially interesting for the Fauré; I might have to get it as well. There's a lot of world-class Fauré recordings from that era.)

EDIT: wow, Koch is an interesting guy...takes 3 minutes to play the first movement of the Moonlight Sonata, but takes 32 minutes to play the first movement of Schubert D. 960?
Yes, that's the frustrating thing about him; one can never unreservedly recommend anything he records because he knows better than most what the music should sound like, but lets his personal taste [or in some cases technical limitations] run away with him. In this case, choosing a tempo for D960 that's exactly half of what it "should" be simply because of a modern interpretation of the 19th century belief in "heavenly lengths" (what people in the 21st century never remember is that in 1838 any continuous single movement over a quarter of an hour was already considered extremely long and taxing for audiences; a Bruckner symphony would have been unthinkable, until of course Bruckner did think it in the 1860s-1870s, and received the backlash. Today we have a much longer attention span and a very different way of looking at concerts.)

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on October 16, 2021, 07:36:34 AM.I should just buy the darn discs.

If (tempted to say iff) you're interested in Fauré maybe.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen