New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: jlopes on October 17, 2021, 06:57:07 AM
Moderator: please transfer this discussion to a more appropriate thread - I mean, this still is "New Releases", right? Thank you.

Just block all of us, and then you will only see your posts, which are all listing new releases or telling the world you blocked someone. You can also add me to the list.

Florestan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 17, 2021, 04:45:07 AM
A peculiar comment.

+ 1.

I cannot relate that particular/peculiar comment to any post in this thread. Unless educated, articulated and civil expression of one's mind is to be put on one's ignore list.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Brahmsian

Quote from: Florestan on October 17, 2021, 07:31:08 AM
+ 1.

I cannot relate this particular/peculiar comment to any post in this thread. Unless educated, articulated and civil expression of one's mind is to be put on one's ignore list.

+ 2

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 17, 2021, 07:30:46 AM
Just block all of us, and then you will only see your posts, which are all listing new releases or telling the world you blocked someone. You can also add me to the list.

+1 If someone wants to put me on their ignore list, that's fine by me! Immaturity is always a prerequisite for joining a forum it seems these days.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 17, 2021, 07:36:41 AM
Immaturity is always a prerequisite for joining leaving a forum it seems these days.

FTFY.  :D

Brahmsian

Quote from: Florestan on October 17, 2021, 07:38:22 AM
FTFY.  :D

Best example of immature behaviour was the Moeran biographer who took his ball ⚽ and went home because people dared asked questions.

Brian

Wow, I missed the Moeran biographer, that sounds fun. Is Moeran really that controversial??

Quote from: Florestan on October 17, 2021, 07:12:01 AM
It's not that much a language barrier thing, but a cultural barrier thing. I mean, we Romanians have a proverb: whomever cant reach the grapes, claims they are sour. Like, amw (a confessedly unprofessional pianist) complaining about this or that professional pianist being dead wrong on their interpretation of Chopin's music. No offense meant but I'd take, say, the first name coming to my kind, Maria Joao Pires's Nocturnes over amw's any day or midnight.
As a writer about restaurants who has never owned a restaurant, I have a professional interest in not adopting this attitude!

(But seriously, there are other approaches to music besides the artist's; the historian's, the musicologist's, the listener's, the critic's, etc. If you are not interested in a non-performer's view of how music should be played, that is fine, it just leaves us with much less to talk about.)

Florestan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 17, 2021, 07:39:49 AM
Best example of immature behaviour was the Moeran biographer who took his ball ⚽ and went home because people dared asked questions.

Well, there's a Romanian saying in this respect: if you don't go my way, I'll take all my toys and go home!  :D

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on October 17, 2021, 07:42:39 AM
there are other approaches to music besides the artist's; the historian's, the musicologist's, the listener's, the critic's,

You nominated the only five categories that to the very best of my knowledge are, or might be, relevantly interested in how "good music" GMG-style is approached. Please let me/us know what other aproaches to this kind of music are. TIA.

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on October 17, 2021, 07:42:39 AM
a writer about restaurants who has never owned a restaurant

Hah!  ;D

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 15, 2021, 08:59:30 PM
I wanted to get excited about this release, but I can't. While I love both of these works, neither of them need another recording, IMHO.

It's better than yet another Beethoven/Brahms/Bruckner/Mahler recording, at least!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on October 17, 2021, 07:03:54 AM
Hint: look at the phrase "I think it is"

Well, yes, agreed --- but we're going in circles.  :D

Imho, there is no right or wrong performance, let alone right or wrong instrument. As for "the composer's intention(s)", they are written on the other side of the moon --- nobody, not even the composer(s) themselves have any strict and fixed idea(s) about what they are and how they should sound. And anyway., a work of art once made public acquires a life of its own, independent of what the original intentions of its author were. The audience is sovereign.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Florestan on October 17, 2021, 08:47:25 AM
And anyway., a work of art once made public acquires a life of its own, independent of what the original intentions of its author were. The audience is sovereign.

That pretty much dismisses the entire period instrument and period performance cult in one fell swoop.

And I approve this message!  :D

Florestan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 17, 2021, 09:02:56 AM
That pretty much dismisses the entire period instrument and period performance cult in one fell swoop.

And I approve this message!  :D

mon semblable, — mon frère!  8)

Brian

Back to what jlopes posted - there are a couple more BIS releases coming that I found info on, and some Naxos stuff:

Jo498

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 17, 2021, 09:02:56 AM

It does not. That movement would not have been so hugely successful, if 1970s-2020s audiences had not liked the results. It works very well as music making for people in the late 20th/early 21st century. This might not be the "official" justification (although many of its musicians have said it pretty much like that).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Quote from: jlopes on October 17, 2021, 12:22:07 PM

Sorry for my awful English and have a nice week.

Your English is perfect.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

André

+ 1 to both his arguments and his English.

vandermolen

Quote from: Brian on October 17, 2021, 11:15:28 AM
Back to what jlopes posted - there are a couple more BIS releases coming that I found info on, and some Naxos stuff:

The Petridis CD looks interesting. Never heard of him. I just sampled his 1st Symphony on You Tube which sounded really good.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan

Imnsho, this is the greatest canard in the whole history of music. Not only are the composer's intentions completely unknowable to anyone else than the composer himself, but oftenly they are not knowable even to the composer herself --- witness (among scores of other direct or indirect testimonies) Rachmaninoff's and Prokofiev's recoded significant departures from their own scores.

What exactly, then, do you think the point of a score is?

Again, I come back to the point: if you're invoking a composer's name, then you're signalling you are not the source of the music.

Jazz doesn't work this way of course, and neither does pop/rock to an extent. But that's to a significant degree because they are forms that evolved when music was transmitted more by recordings rather than print. And they are also forms where the identity of a composer doesn't get the same prominence.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!