Author Topic: New Releases  (Read 2268237 times)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
Re: New Releases
« Reply #12480 on: October 17, 2021, 09:11:37 AM »
That pretty much dismisses the entire period instrument and period performance cult in one fell swoop.

And I approve this message!  :D

mon semblable, — mon frère!  8)
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent." - Victor Hugo

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #12481 on: October 17, 2021, 11:15:28 AM »
Back to what jlopes posted - there are a couple more BIS releases coming that I found info on, and some Naxos stuff:

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #12482 on: October 17, 2021, 11:17:30 AM »
That pretty much dismisses the entire period instrument and period performance cult in one fell swoop.

It does not. That movement would not have been so hugely successful, if 1970s-2020s audiences had not liked the results. It works very well as music making for people in the late 20th/early 21st century. This might not be the "official" justification (although many of its musicians have said it pretty much like that).
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline jlopes

« Reply #12483 on: October 17, 2021, 12:22:07 PM »
your posts, which are all listing new releases

Yes. This is called staying on topic. Or: trying to be helpful. I'm really grateful to Brian's, Todd's and everybody else's efforts to publish future releases. That's why I try to be helpful myself posting unpublished/unnoticed releases here. I've lost any interest in other GMG threads not because I can't stand the discussions, but because these discussions usually revolves around a matter of taste - HIP fans won't convince modern instruments fans and vice-versa. Ever. And they don't have to. HIP fans don't have to listen to any modern instruments recordings, modern instrument don't have to listen to any period recordings.

"So you don't accept the debate". No, I really don't. And I don't accept it because the kind of arguments used here are almost always aggressive, especially from HIP fans ("the only acceptable way", "the right way", "the real intentions" etc. and of course our recent, rude and unnecessary "anachronistic all the same"), although I'm not giving any opinions right now about this or that kind of instrument and not even saying which school I prefer (I'm sure no one is interested, as it should be, and I'm not interested in discussing that either). I avoid this kind of tiresome thing visiting only this GMG thread. Oh he is so immature. I see. Mature stuff is to attack a recording you don't think it should exist. Or an artist. At least I don't do this. If I'm not interested in a recording or an interpreter or a conductor I just ignore it/him/them. We have dozens and dozens of modern instruments new and old recordings, dozens and dozens of period performance new and old recordings. Some people enjoy both, some people don't. So yes, I choose to make use of the forum's Ignore List tool to avoid users who uses this kind of impolite, vitriolic rhetoric, even if I enjoy the same artists or recordings.

Now, there's a lot of GMG threads about this specific subject, right? And this thread aims to inform the members about future releases, right? Then I don't see why people should use this thread to discuss something they can - and should - discuss elsewhere. That's all. I'll keep visiting this thread because I'm really interested to know about future releases, but will refrain myself from posting. And you guys can ignore this post. Sorry for my awful English and have a nice week.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 01:08:48 PM by jlopes »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #12484 on: October 17, 2021, 01:01:14 PM »

Sorry for my awful English and have a nice week.

Your English is perfect.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #12485 on: October 17, 2021, 01:07:21 PM »
+ 1 to both his arguments and his English.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #12486 on: October 17, 2021, 02:16:55 PM »
Back to what jlopes posted - there are a couple more BIS releases coming that I found info on, and some Naxos stuff:

The Petridis CD looks interesting. Never heard of him. I just sampled his 1st Symphony on You Tube which sounded really good.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #12487 on: October 17, 2021, 03:07:25 PM »
Quote from: Florestan

Imnsho, this is the greatest canard in the whole history of music. Not only are the composer's intentions completely unknowable to anyone else than the composer himself, but oftenly they are not knowable even to the composer herself --- witness (among scores of other direct or indirect testimonies) Rachmaninoff's and Prokofiev's recoded significant departures from their own scores.

What exactly, then, do you think the point of a score is?

Again, I come back to the point: if you’re invoking a composer’s name, then you’re signalling you are not the source of the music.

Jazz doesn’t work this way of course, and neither does pop/rock to an extent. But that’s to a significant degree because they are forms that evolved when music was transmitted more by recordings rather than print. And they are also forms where the identity of a composer doesn’t get the same prominence.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #12488 on: October 17, 2021, 03:10:25 PM »
Back to new releases… I might be interested in Naxos starting a series of Brahms songs.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #12489 on: October 17, 2021, 03:39:50 PM »

.. and of course our recent, rude and unnecessary "anachronistic all the same"..

I didn't intend to be provocative, but just wondered about the purpose of using a piano, which is a hundred years old. One doesn't get closer to the baroque sound world for that reason.

In summary: So far she [Mejoueva] wants to play the French suites on piano, I don't understand, why a modern piano wasn't used instead.
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #12490 on: October 17, 2021, 05:32:30 PM »

Trifonov gives an impressive performance of the Brahms Chaconne in his brand new release.
It will be interesting to see what another pianist can make of it.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline mabuse

« Reply #12491 on: October 17, 2021, 06:22:18 PM »
The transcription by Brahms is magnificent and it is a pity that the pianists especially want to play the one by Busoni.

I did not hear Trifonov ...
I remain devoted to Anna Vinnitskaya:

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #12492 on: October 17, 2021, 06:55:08 PM »

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1962 - 1918)
    Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius, Bartók et. al.
« Reply #12493 on: October 17, 2021, 08:28:44 PM »

Yes! I'll definitely be buying this one.
"Works of art create rules; rules do not create works of art." - Claude Debussy

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1962 - 1918)
    Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius, Bartók et. al.
« Reply #12494 on: October 17, 2021, 08:31:24 PM »
It’s better than yet another Beethoven/Brahms/Bruckner/Mahler recording, at least!

QFT, Kyle. 8)
"Works of art create rules; rules do not create works of art." - Claude Debussy

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #12495 on: October 17, 2021, 08:49:43 PM »
In summary: So far she [Mejoueva] wants to play the French suites on piano, I don't understand, why a modern piano wasn't used instead.

She always uses it, she travels around to give concerts with it, presumably it’s her piano and she likes it. I like it in fact, it’s a very good piano indeed.

She’s got a big following in Japan. I have heard some of her Bach - inventions. It is strong confident playing.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #12496 on: October 17, 2021, 09:05:48 PM »

Bach on a modern chamber organ and viol. Intimate performances and the first track - a prelude - seems quite sympathetic actually. Booklet here

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/85/000144358.pdf

Romina Lischka is someone I have heard before, in Demachy and Ferabosco. I don’t know if this Marnix de Cat is the ubiquitous singer of the same name.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 09:16:46 PM by Mandryka »

Offline bioluminescentsquid

« Reply #12497 on: October 17, 2021, 09:54:59 PM »

Bach on a modern chamber organ and viol. Intimate performances and the first track - a prelude - seems quite sympathetic actually. Booklet here

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/85/000144358.pdf

Romina Lischka is someone I have heard before, in Demachy and Ferabosco. I don’t know if this Marnix de Cat is the ubiquitous singer of the same name.

I saw this too, not a modern chamber organ but a real church organ!

Offline Artem

• Veteran member
« Reply #12498 on: October 17, 2021, 10:35:11 PM »
This sounds very good indeed. And I think it's a nice piece of music. You can hear it on bandcamp.
On the strengths of her version of Triadic Memories, I'd consider purchasing her new Feldman recording. Not that there're so many new recordings of Feldman's music, that one has to make decisions.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12499 on: October 17, 2021, 10:37:11 PM »

It's odd, but those earlier Steinways do sound pretty.  :)