New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artem

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 23, 2021, 06:46:16 AM
Upcoming:
Looks like a great program, but why does every album that is released now have to have some kind of stupid title? What can't this be titled Bartók/Ligeti/Dutilleux String Quartets? Is that too simplistic? Too generic? It's better than Not All Cats Are Grey. That's for damn sure!
Maybe there's a hidden bonus track of Ligeti's lost 3rd string quartet titled Not All Cats Are Grey?

amw

The saying in question ("All cats are grey in the dark") has always bothered me because whoever came up with it has clearly never seen a cat in the dark. You can still pretty easily tell what colour they are. I know it's supposed to be a metaphor, but I've never metaphor that I've liked.

Brian

Quote from: amw on October 23, 2021, 03:43:05 PM
The saying in question ("All cats are grey in the dark") has always bothered me because whoever came up with it has clearly never seen a cat in the dark. You can still pretty easily tell what colour they are. I know it's supposed to be a metaphor, but I've never metaphor that I've liked.
Oh, the version my college roommate used was "all cats look the same in the dark." Your version makes much more sense.
Edit: and googling I see "your" version goes back to the 1500s, wow.

Now, the specific use to which he put the metaphor, that was something I had never liked!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Artem on October 23, 2021, 12:36:39 PM
Maybe there's a hidden bonus track of Ligeti's lost 3rd string quartet titled Not All Cats Are Grey?

Or maybe it's just a dumb title.

amw

Keiko Shichijo fp, Cecilia Bernardini vn, Marcus van den Munckhof vc. This recording uses a c.1825 Böhm piano and the uncut version of the Schubert with exposition repeat in the finale.

I obviously am not going to be able to resist a pairing of my two favourite piano trios.

Mandryka

Quote from: amw on October 23, 2021, 03:43:05 PM

I thought the expression was la nuit tous les chats sont gris. I've never heard it in English in fact, maybe British people don't say it.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

That HIP trio disc really really caught my eye for all the reasons you mention.

Artem

Linn cd cover artwork are beautiful too.

The new erato

Quote from: Mandryka on October 23, 2021, 07:09:55 PM
I thought the expression was la nuit tous les chats sont gris. I've never heard it in English in fact, maybe British people don't say it.
We have it, verbatim, in Norway too.

I mørket er alle katter grå.

premont

Same in Danish:

I mørke er alle katte grå.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

vers la flamme

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 24, 2021, 11:30:45 AM
Same in Danish:

I mørke er alle katte grå.

Quote from: The new erato on October 24, 2021, 01:38:11 AM
We have it, verbatim, in Norway too.

I mørket er alle katter grå.

Quite similar. Are Norwegian and Danish mutually intelligible?

Hans Holbein

premont

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 24, 2021, 12:45:27 PM
Quite similar. Are Norwegian and Danish mutually intelligible?

Not always, but often.

For me, who is Danish, written Norwegian is easier to understand than spoken Norwegian, because Norwegians use to speak very fast and often a bit sloppy. I am sure that Norwegians have the same impression of the Danes.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

The new erato

Yes, we speak precisely as it is written but Danish is mumbled, and one has to understand the context.  :)

As a matter of fact we have Norwegian/Danish friends in Hvidovre who are a psycholog and child psychiatrist respectively, and they say that language development amongst Danish children are later than in the other Scandinavian countries because of the imprecise nature of spoken Danish.

Be that as i may, we enjoy Denmark a lot. We visited them as late as September this year.

Mandryka

Mandryka

Mandryka

I like this outfit, La Rêveuse, very much - they make everything dreamy. Whether they can compete with Dunford and Savall in Caix remains to be seen.Well recorded. Caix is good in a sort of Versailles way, pièces de caractère. Well worth checking out Caix if you're open to Marais and Forqueray.

Mandryka

Whether you like this depends on whether you can tolerate the soprano. There are a lot of secular songs which they sing in a way which is a bit generic - I mean you could sing Purcell like this and it would be mainstream.  But the recording gives the impression singers enjoying themselves, and it's well recorded, a sense of place of each singer in the image and some ambience too. If it were a concert it would be fine, you wouldn't feel as though you'd totally wasted the evening.

Mandryka

The interesting thing for me here is the Ritter, whose music I've never heard before apart from one piece played on a pedal clavichord. I think Youann is a totally OK harpsichord player, and the sound is pretty OK too.

Selig

Quote from: Mandryka on October 25, 2021, 07:22:30 AM

Not my sort of thing really.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9247006--bach-au-pardessus-de-viole

Transcriptions of BWV 527 and 528 are totally my thing, so thanks for posting this regardless  :)