Author Topic: New Releases  (Read 2218417 times)

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
Re: New Releases
« Reply #12540 on: October 24, 2021, 02:20:22 PM »
Quite similar. Are Norwegian and Danish mutually intelligible?

Not always, but often.

For me, who is Danish, written Norwegian is easier to understand than spoken Norwegian, because Norwegians use to speak very fast and often a bit sloppy. I am sure that Norwegians have the same impression of the Danes.
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #12541 on: October 25, 2021, 02:25:28 AM »
Yes, we speak precisely as it is written but Danish is mumbled, and one has to understand the context.  :)

As a matter of fact we have Norwegian/Danish friends in Hvidovre who are a psycholog and child psychiatrist respectively, and they say that language development amongst Danish children are later than in the other Scandinavian countries because of the imprecise nature of spoken Danish.

Be that as i may, we enjoy Denmark a lot. We visited them as late as September this year.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 08:17:49 AM by The new erato »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #12542 on: October 25, 2021, 07:16:57 AM »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #12543 on: October 25, 2021, 07:22:30 AM »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #12544 on: October 25, 2021, 07:28:51 AM »

I like this outfit, La Rêveuse, very much - they make everything dreamy. Whether they can compete with Dunford and Savall in Caix remains to be seen.Well recorded. Caix is good in a sort of Versailles way, pièces de caractère. Well worth checking out Caix if you’re open to Marais and Forqueray.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 07:33:40 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #12545 on: October 25, 2021, 07:43:13 AM »

Whether you like this depends on whether you can tolerate the soprano. There are a lot of secular songs which they sing in a way which is a bit generic - I mean you could sing Purcell like this and it would be mainstream.  But the recording gives the impression singers enjoying themselves, and it’s well recorded, a sense of place of each singer in the image and some ambience too. If it were a concert it would be fine, you wouldn’t feel as though you’d totally wasted the evening.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 09:41:03 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #12546 on: October 25, 2021, 07:56:28 AM »

The interesting thing for me here is the Ritter, whose music I’ve never heard before apart from one piece played on a pedal clavichord. I think Youann is a totally OK harpsichord player, and the sound is pretty OK too.

Offline Selig

« Reply #12547 on: October 25, 2021, 08:00:09 AM »

Not my sort of thing really.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9247006--bach-au-pardessus-de-viole

Transcriptions of BWV 527 and 528 are totally my thing, so thanks for posting this regardless  :)

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12548 on: October 25, 2021, 09:18:42 AM »

• Veteran member
« Reply #12549 on: October 25, 2021, 09:38:15 AM »

The interesting thing for me here is the Ritter, whose music I’ve never heard before apart from one piece played on a pedal clavichord. I think Youann is a totally OK harpsichord player, and the sound is pretty OK too.

This CD contains the only surviving keyboard works by Ritter, a sonata and a sonatina. The sonatina is despite the title a short toccata and is often performed on the organ. I wonder if it was this work you heard played on pedal clavichord. Do you recall the name of the performer? BTW I ordered the Youann CD a week ago and hope to receive it soon.
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #12550 on: October 25, 2021, 09:56:30 AM »
This CD contains the only surviving keyboard works by Ritter, a sonata and a sonatina. The sonatina is despite the title a short toccata and is often performed on the organ. I wonder if it was this work you heard played on pedal clavichord. Do you recall the name of the performer? BTW I ordered the Youann CD a week ago and hope to receive it soon.

The pedal clavichord recording is by Erik van Bruggen. But I forgot that there’s a beautiful clavichord recording of the sonata by Leonhardt no less.

• Veteran member
« Reply #12551 on: October 25, 2021, 03:08:57 PM »
The pedal clavichord recording is by Erik van Bruggen. But I forgot that there’s a beautiful clavichord recording of the sonata by Leonhardt no less.

By mistake I wrote "sonata" instead of suite. The Yoann Moulin recording contains the sonatina d-minor (usually performed on organ and BTW also recorded by Leonhardt on the Schnitger/Norden) and the suite c minor, the only two works of Ritter, I knew. However the suite Leonhardt plays on his clavicord recital CD (Philips) is listed as being in f sharp minor. So if this is authentic it must be another suite by Ritter. At IMSLP one can find free scores to the two suites without any editoral comments as to authenticy.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #12553 on: October 26, 2021, 02:33:36 AM »
Yes, we speak precisely as it is written but Danish is mumbled, and one has to understand the context.  :)

If only Danes would take the potatoes out of their mouths, right?...  :laugh:
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #12554 on: October 26, 2021, 02:50:53 AM »
 :D

Offline MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #12555 on: October 26, 2021, 06:14:33 AM »
If only Danes would take the potatoes out of their mouths, right?...  :laugh:

Agree, it has definitely become worse in recent decades. Before say 1980, Danish was much clearer and the syllables better articulated, making it more 'classically European' to listen to as well. I haven't seen any attempt at explaining why there is this development, or whether it happens elsewhere.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 06:18:20 AM by MusicTurner »

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #12556 on: October 26, 2021, 01:02:08 PM »
Agree, it has definitely become worse in recent decades. Before say 1980, Danish was much clearer and the syllables better articulated, making it more 'classically European' to listen to as well. I haven't seen any attempt at explaining why there is this development, or whether it happens elsewhere.

It actually tends to happen in all languages, but Danish and French are 2 examples of it happening a lot. People everywhere are lazy with their pronunciation and drop the end of things, but the Danish ability to drop half of a word is pretty impressive.

PS a few years ago I saw the movie “Guldkysten”. It’s both a period piece and deliberately slow and dreamy. I really enjoyed it, partly because I could understand so much of it! (Yes, it was with subtitles anyway)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 01:04:24 PM by Madiel »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #12557 on: October 26, 2021, 01:11:48 PM »
French. Yes, probably a good point there.

Btw, even the main protagonist of a conservative political party here, Dansk Folkeparti, in reality says "Dansfolpti"  ::) .

So they've rather released a new name for it
- to ~return somewhat to the subject of the thread ... ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 01:24:50 PM by MusicTurner »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
    Mostly Austro-Germanic and Soviet/Russian repertoire
« Reply #12558 on: October 26, 2021, 06:13:21 PM »
Back on topic:

"When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something." - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #12559 on: October 26, 2021, 06:19:44 PM »
Saint-Saens is clearly in vogue. Though I imagine the Warner symphonies are just a subset of their larger box?

The Falla box is also an interesting one.