New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

I'm happy for the historical add-ons to those Warner boxes. They've included stuff like Falla and Ravel performing their own works, and other stuff that just isn't available any other way (because of their own terrible catalog management). And ultimately for the addition of a couple extra discs, we're usually only talking about $3-4. They're not making some huge fortune. It's for total nerds like me.

JBS

Quote from: Brian on October 26, 2021, 06:52:03 PM
I'm happy for the historical add-ons to those Warner boxes. They've included stuff like Falla and Ravel performing their own works, and other stuff that just isn't available any other way (because of their own terrible catalog management). And ultimately for the addition of a couple extra discs, we're usually only talking about $3-4. They're not making some huge fortune. It's for total nerds like me.

The Warner Stravinsky box is a juicy one: a whole series of recordings by or including Stravinsky from the 30s that aren't in the Sony/Columbia sets.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 26, 2021, 06:35:08 PM
Which I'm sure can be bought second-hand somewhere if one looks around.

There a couple of other things in the set that I have only one recording, or even none (Homenajes).

On another angle:
Do you have a contents list for the Mariss Jansons set?

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on October 26, 2021, 07:04:28 PM
There a couple of other things in the set that I have only one recording, or even none (Homenajes).

On another angle:
Do you have a contents list for the Mariss Jansons set?

Yep, here you go:

[Left-click to enlarge]

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on October 26, 2021, 06:52:03 PM
And ultimately for the addition of a couple extra discs, we're usually only talking about $3-4. They're not making some huge fortune. It's for total nerds like me.

We're talking about increasing the profit margin on each individual nerd so that the overall effect is to make significantly more money with a minimum of effort. That's kind of the point of the exercise.

But it's really no different to record company behaviour generally, ie it's not confined to classical. Every "greatest hits" of anniversary reissue of a pop album is practically guaranteed to have a few bonuses to induce people who already own most of the material to cough up more money to get those otherwise unobtainable extras.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 26, 2021, 07:06:41 PM
Yep, here you go:

[Left-click to enlarge]

Thanks. I'll definitely look out for that. But I hope those SACDs are really SACD hybrids.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on October 26, 2021, 07:17:46 PM
Thanks. I'll definitely look out for that. But I hope those SACDs are really SACD hybrids.

I'm pretty sure they will be. I haven't known this label to release purely SACD recordings.

Mandryka

Quote from: Artem on October 16, 2021, 01:12:21 PM
A new recording, I believe.

I forgot about this before, I think it's a wonderful video

https://www.youtube.com/v/D5hXMWAeOMs
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Roy Bland

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on October 27, 2021, 11:40:36 PM
What's the music like?

Very tonal.  He does a lot of music for films and video games too.  Here is an excerpt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qCZ62ELzQk

staxomega

Quote from: Brian on October 23, 2021, 04:59:21 PM
Oh, the version my college roommate used was "all cats look the same in the dark." Your version makes much more sense.
Edit: and googling I see "your" version goes back to the 1500s, wow.

Now, the specific use to which he put the metaphor, that was something I had never liked!

I wonder if this started as something quite literal (1500s diet with low vitamin A = poor night vision) then morphed into a metaphor?

Mandryka

According to this, the original sense of the expression in French is that all women look beautiful in the dark! And in fact, that sounds  familiar to me from my childhood in Manchester, I'm sure people said that, though I've never heard anything about cats in the dark being used in England.

https://www.lalanguefrancaise.com/proverbes/la-nuit-tous-les-chats-sont-gris

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on October 29, 2021, 06:21:08 AM
According to this, the original sense of the expression in French is that all women look beautiful in the dark! And in fact, that sounds a familiar to me from my childhood in Manchester, I'm sure people said that, though I've never heard anything about cats in the dark being used in England.

Thanks for the link. Some quite nice dicta there which I didn't know...  ;)

La jouissance est égale, de nuict tous chats sont gris, et tous trous sont trous. --- He he!

Sublata lucerna nullum discrimen inter mulieres --- Quite!

pour juger de la beauté, la nuit et le vin ne valent rien --- So true!

;D

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

JBS

Quote from: Mandryka on October 29, 2021, 06:21:08 AM
According to this, the original sense of the expression in French is that all women look beautiful in the dark! And in fact, that sounds  familiar to me from my childhood in Manchester, I'm sure people said that, though I've never heard anything about cats in the dark being used in England.

The usual phrasing I heard in my college days was "every woman in the bar looks beautiful at closing time".

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on October 29, 2021, 09:03:41 AM
The usual phrasing I heard in my college days was "every woman in the bar looks beautiful at closing time".

That's also a nice way to put it.  :D
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Mandryka

Todd

Why not a full box?

Listen like it's 1955 all over again!
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on October 25, 2021, 07:16:57 AM

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9250178--messes-anonymes-missa-gross-senen-missa-lardant-desir

Anonymous masses, initial impressions rather positive.

Here's a link to the booklet for this, which I assure you is interesting. I mean, even people not really interested in Renaissance masses may find it interesting. This music is, it seems, a sort of old complexity.

https://cdn.naxosmusiclibrary.com/sharedfiles/booklets/MEW/booklet-MEW2097.pdf

mabuse

Les Kapsber'girls : Vous avez dit Brunettes ?
Alpha (2021)

:-*