New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on November 21, 2021, 11:23:53 AM
JANUARY

] [

Nice big modern organ and decent colourful tasteful performances of the Bach, well recorded. Worth checking out I'd say.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

André

Quote from: The new erato on November 21, 2021, 09:28:47 PM
Eliasson on BIS looks i interesting indeed. Anybody with cooments on his style?

Ice cold modernism but still part of a long tradition. The best entry point is his 1st symphony plus bassoon concerto and another orchestral piece, on Caprice:

Available on Spotify

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on November 21, 2021, 05:55:46 PM
Also February will bring the end to Angela Hewitt's Beethoven cycle...

Ok, then! After reading that her precious Fazoli was destroyed and no longer manufactured I despaired of this cycle ever being completed.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 22, 2021, 05:00:39 AM
Ok, then! After reading that her precious Fazoli was destroyed and no longer manufactured I despaired of this cycle ever being completed.
They made her five new ones, at considerable expense to the factory's usual production, and let her choose her favorite. The story is quite entertaining: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jan/04/celebrated-musician-speaks-of-finding-new-best-friend-to-replace-smashed-piano

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on November 22, 2021, 11:02:21 AM
They made her five new ones, at considerable expense to the factory's usual production, and let her choose her favorite. The story is quite entertaining: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jan/04/celebrated-musician-speaks-of-finding-new-best-friend-to-replace-smashed-piano

Damn, I was hoping she would go back to Steinway.

Maybe I can try that, go to MacDonalds and demand they make 5 Big Macs so I can choose the one I prefer.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Wanderer

I'd understand such a move by the piano maker for the likes of Martha Argerich, but for Angela Hewitt?! Come on! 🤨

Mirror Image

Quote from: Wanderer on November 22, 2021, 11:41:59 AM
I'd understand such a move by the piano maker for the likes of Martha Argerich, but for Angela Hewitt?! Come on! 🤨

::)

Wanderer

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 22, 2021, 11:04:15 AM
Damn, I was hoping she would go back to Steinway.

Maybe I can try that, go to MacDonalds and demand they make 5 Big Macs so I can choose the one I prefer.
😁

Maybe they could market the ones Ms. Hewitt did not like as: "Angela Hewitt rejects nos. 1-4".

prémont

They will probably be able to sell the four "superfluous" pianos to some "lesser" pianists. The label "rejected by Angela Hewitt" may even to some act as a recommendation.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Spotted Horses

Quote from: (: premont :) on November 23, 2021, 01:05:32 AM
They will probably be able to sell the four "superfluous" pianos to some "lesser" pianists. The label "rejected by Angela Hewitt" may even to some act as a recommendation.

No doubt those pianos will be sold. Seems tacky for whoever it was (probably the piano technician Hewitt brought along) to reveal that "Hewitt rejected three of the pianos within minutes." That's not going to make it any easier to sell those instruments, after they went to such trouble for her.

Brian

Quote from: Wanderer on November 22, 2021, 11:41:59 AM
Dang, that's harsh! She is probably the most famous classical Fazioli artist, although Louis Lortie, Alfred Brendel, and Lazar Berman historically played on Faziolis at least some of the time. Overall Faziolis are more renowned in other genres; Herbie Hancock is a devotee and Stevie Wonder has one at home.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on November 23, 2021, 06:55:28 AM
Dang, that's harsh!

Unnecessary roughness. Yellow card!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Wanderer

Quote from: Brian on November 23, 2021, 06:55:28 AM
Dang, that's harsh!
Oh, please. I'm sure she knows she's not half as good as Martha Argerich;)

Quote from: Brian on November 23, 2021, 06:55:28 AM...although Louis Lortie, Alfred Brendel, and Lazar Berman...

All three of them are better artists than her, in my view; and, since you mentioned him, I do feel that Louis Lortie is quite underrated. I never found Hewitt's praised-to-the-heavens-by-the-British-media recordings anywhere as good or inspired as some British reviewers would have us believe. Her Bach is rather mundane and her Beethoven unremarkable - I have several of her recordings and started getting her Beethoven sonatas CD's when she first started recording them, but I always felt the results were rather laboured and uninteresting.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 23, 2021, 06:58:25 AM
Unnecessary roughness. Yellow card!

You are kinder than most and that's to your credit, my friend, but here in Greece we are not in the business of letting hubristic behaviour slide when we see it.  ;) ;D

Wanderer

Quote from: (: premont :) on November 23, 2021, 01:05:32 AM

Indeed.

prémont

Quote from: Wanderer on November 23, 2021, 07:40:47 AM

All three of them are better artists than her, in my view; and, since you mentioned him, I do feel that Louis Lortie is quite underrated. I never found Hewitt's praised-to-the-heavens-by-the-British-media recordings anywhere as good or inspired as some British reviewers would have us believe. Her Bach is rather mundane and her Beethoven unremarkable ...

Strongly agree.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Karl Henning

I very much admire Lortie.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mandryka

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on November 23, 2021, 10:10:54 AM
Thanks, wishlisted.

It's very good I think. I don't listen to the preludes enough.

Brian

Quote from: Wanderer on November 23, 2021, 07:40:47 AMI do feel that Louis Lortie is quite underrated.

His new Saint-Saens cycle is the benchmark version, in my opinion, and his Faure recitals have been very good.

My favorite Hewitt CD so far is her Chabrier recital.