New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: JBS on November 24, 2021, 07:22:45 PM
To be fair, it's been a long long time since I've listened to it.  I should go looking for it and see if my ears have changed in the interim.

I'd like to know what you think if you listen again, I don't think the Humoreske is dreary or indeed the sonata. On the contrary. But then I have just drunk half a bottle of Argentinian Malbec.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Roy Bland

JBS

Quote from: Mandryka on November 26, 2021, 11:14:56 AM
I'd like to know what you think if you listen again, I don't think the Humoreske is dreary or indeed the sonata. On the contrary. But then I have just drunk half a bottle of Argentinian Malbec.

Found the CD. To my surprise it was on the shelf I thought it was on. (Usually they aren't when I have had them this long.) But given how hectic work is this time of year (I'm in retail) I'm not sure when it will get a proper listen.
Quote from: Roy Bland on November 26, 2021, 06:18:42 PM

Karaev orch.works

My poverty in Russian vocabulary strikes again. What's the solo instrument in the concerto? And what does the title of the Rhapsody refer to?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

Quote from: JBS on November 26, 2021, 07:12:49 PM
My poverty in Russian vocabulary strikes again. What's the solo instrument in the concerto? And what does the title of the Rhapsody refer to?
It's a violin concerto (I used the other letters on the cover to deduce artist name Andrey Korsakov, googled him, and verified).

Roy Bland

Quote from: JBS on November 26, 2021, 07:12:49 PM

Found the CD. To my surprise it was on the shelf I thought it was on. (Usually they aren't when I have had them this long.) But given how hectic work is this time of year (I'm in retail) I'm not sure when it will get a proper listen.
First symphony.ballets suites.albanian rhapsody i don't think physical album.

JBS

Quote from: Brian on November 26, 2021, 07:22:37 PM
It's a violin concerto (I used the other letters on the cover to deduce artist name Andrey Korsakov, googled him, and verified).

Thanks. I thought the Russian word for violin was something more like "violin".

Quote from: Roy Bland on November 26, 2021, 07:30:41 PM

Thank you.

amw

Skripka is technically "fiddle"; I'm not sure if Russian has ever used the direct Italian loanword ("violina") still used in most South Slavic languages. I want to say it did at some point, or at least I've seen it in scores, but I have no evidence for this claim.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on November 26, 2021, 07:30:41 PM
Thanks - I enjoy his music.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aukhawk

Quote from: Mandryka on November 24, 2021, 10:15:29 AM

On the basis of listening for 10 minutes, this is the Bartok cycle we've all always wanted.

Thanks for posting this one.  I've always found the Bartok Quartets rather hard going, but these musicians really hit the spot for me.  Vol.1 as well.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on November 26, 2021, 07:22:37 PM

Indeed. скрипка is violin; скрипки is the genitive sing. form.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

Seven discs of Strauss. 

Yellow Label Harp Music!

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

Quote from: amw on November 26, 2021, 08:11:15 PM
Skripka is technically "fiddle"; I'm not sure if Russian has ever used the direct Italian loanword ("violina") still used in most South Slavic languages.

Russian is an East Slavic language. There are also West Slavic languages. They (ie, East and West) do not use violina. Just saying.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

JBS

Spotted this on Amazon, which gives the release date as 7 January.

vers la flamme

Quote from: JBS on November 27, 2021, 06:58:09 PM
Spotted this on Amazon, which gives the release date as 7 January.

Man that looks killer! Thanks for putting this on my radar.

staxomega

Quote from: Todd on November 27, 2021, 07:16:23 AM

Seven discs of Strauss. 

Got my tickets to see one of those all Richard Strauss programs with him and BSO next year. I hope these will be live recordings!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: hvbias on November 28, 2021, 05:50:24 AM
Got my tickets to see one of those all Richard Strauss programs with him and BSO next year. I hope these will be live recordings!

I saw him do a Death & Transfiguration with the Philharmonia live - I must admit I don't get the Nelsons mania.  it was OK - he jumped around on the podium a lot like a rather eager puppy and the orchestra played the piece perfectly well.  Was it revelatory or deeply moving - no.  To my ear he gets good results because he's blessed with conducting top orchestras but I hear nothing that special or individual.  I'm just amazed at the swathes of standard rep he's getting to enshirne on disc quite so early in his career........

Roy Bland

Quote from: vandermolen on November 26, 2021, 11:07:20 PM
Thanks - I enjoy his music.
Thanks .IMHO It would be more interesting but it isn't complete and only digital

idem

Schedrin excerpts from "Not only love" + piano concerto
and

staxomega

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 28, 2021, 01:07:41 PM
I saw him do a Death & Transfiguration with the Philharmonia live - I must admit I don't get the Nelsons mania.  it was OK - he jumped around on the podium a lot like a rather eager puppy and the orchestra played the piece perfectly well.  Was it revelatory or deeply moving - no.  To my ear he gets good results because he's blessed with conducting top orchestras but I hear nothing that special or individual.  I'm just amazed at the swathes of standard rep he's getting to enshirne on disc quite so early in his career........

What is Nelsons mania, lol? He is liked in Boston but I've never seen him elicit a strongly negative or positive reaction. Some Boston musicians have a cult like following and he isn't one of them.

On disc I've only heard a handful of the Shostakovich, I'm personally a bit burned out on this new style of conducting standard repertoire from the 19th century so I haven't heard anything else from him. There is something special about seeing live music, but I'd never go out of my way to see him conduct interpretively difficult music like Mahler, Brahms, Bruckner, etc. I've seen some Shostakovich and other repertoire when pianists I like came through.

I think we are on the same page, I've heard competent conducting but nothing all that individual about it. With Richard Strauss it should be pretty hard to screw up and I imagine the BSO being very good in the music if not lights out. Of course I'd love to have been able to see Boston's legends like Munch, Koussevitzky and Monteux :)

Daverz

Quote from: hvbias on November 28, 2021, 06:18:33 PM
What is Nelsons mania, lol?

I think the mania is from the record labels (not just DG, he's on several labels) who record him in everything. 

Karl Henning

Quote from: Daverz on November 28, 2021, 06:31:00 PM
I think the mania is from the record labels (not just DG, he's on several labels) who record him in everything. 

You're onto something.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot