Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Quote from: Todd on January 16, 2022, 12:54:18 PM

I've got his Shostakovich concertos. (And also his Bach Suites, but those are Virgin/Erato recordings.)
Any works in there that aren't usually recorded?

ETA:
Going by Amazon, there's Lutoslawski, Zimmerman, and something by Gulda.
There's a Cerha concerto on ECM, too.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Roy Bland on January 14, 2022, 08:45:01 PM

Now, tell me about striking title, cover art and music!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Brian

Another upcoming box:

Also the Ballets Russes box is not "original jackets" but original artwork from the actual Diaghilev production:

Daverz

Quote from: Brian on January 16, 2022, 05:04:00 PM
Another upcoming box:

Huzzah!  Finally I can retire my MCA CDs (reversed channels and all).

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on January 16, 2022, 05:04:00 PM
Also the Ballets Russes box is not "original jackets" but original artwork from the actual Diaghilev production:

:-* :-* :-*

I really, really want to see a proper list of the performances. Mainly so other people can tell me whether they're good ones!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

ritter

Cross-posted from the Reynaldo Hahn composer thread:

Quote from: ritter on January 18, 2022, 07:48:11 AM
A new release (it appeared at the beginning of this month) that can be very interesting, given the artists involved.

Christiane Karg (a wonderful soprano, whose recording of Ravel's Shéhérazade conducted by David Afkham is excellent IMHO), the Bavarian Radio Chorus, and pianist Gerold Huber (best known for his work with Christian Gerhaher -- they form one superb duo in the lieder repertoire!), give us Reynaldo Hahn's complete Études latines (all ten songs, including the three with choral accompaniment and minor solo contributions--which were omitted from Tassis Christoyannis' traversal for Bru Zane). AFAIK, the complete set has only been recorded twice before: on the Hyperion set of Hahn mélodies with pianist Graham Johnson (Ian Bostridge and Stephen Varcoe alternate in the songs), and by baritone Didier Henry on the Maguelone label.

We also get some Debussy works on the CD, the main ne being the piano version of La Damoiselle élue (which should suit Mrs. Karg's voice and artistry very well).

Brian

Got some intel on MARCH releases:

Anonymous, traditional, and 13 composers, including da Firenze, Bruhns, Graupner, von Wolkenstein, Buxtehude, Purcell, and, uh... "Eleanor Rigby" and Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah"  ???

Includes Glenn Miller, Kurt Weill, Edward Elgar, and Barry Manilow's "Copacabana"  ??? ??? ???

"voted 'Instrumental Soloist of the Year' at the Victoires de la Musique Classique in 2020"

The title piece "A Freak in Burbank" is apparently inspired by both Joseph Haydn and Tim Burton!

Brian

MORE MARCH

Beethoven Concerto 0 is played by Giltburg in the composer's solo reduction.
The Roussel piece is a 79 minute operetta.
The two Santoro symphonies on Naxos do NOT overlap with the two Santoro symphonies previously released on BIS (4 and 9). Naxos says that this begins a complete cycle of all 14 symphonies.

Awesome suits. Great photo shoot. 10/10

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on January 18, 2022, 08:15:02 AM

Awesome suits. Great photo shoot. 10/10

No additional details? I think the Tasman would be new to me. There are two Bacewicz piano quintets on a release by Kremer and company.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 18, 2022, 08:46:41 AM
No additional details? I think the Tasman would be new to me. There are two Bacewicz piano quintets on a release by Kremer and company.
Both Bacewicz quintets are here. The Tansman is about 19 minutes.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on January 18, 2022, 09:33:47 AM
Both Bacewicz quintets are here. The Tansman is about 19 minutes.

I see. The Tansman would be new to me and worth looking into. The Bacewicz I have on the Kremer release (but of course new recordings of this worthwhile repertoire is always welcome).
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Florestan

MORE MARCH

The Mendelssohn, Haydn, Lord Berners and Schubert for me. 
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Karl Henning

Brian: there was blood and a single gunshot, but just who shot who?!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

André

The Santoro symphonies should be right down my alley. Hopefully they will not overlap with the BIS discs.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on January 18, 2022, 11:07:19 AM
The Santoro symphonies should be right down my alley. Hopefully they will not overlap with the BIS discs.

Don't fear, they do not:

Quote from: Brian on January 18, 2022, 08:15:02 AMThe two Santoro symphonies on Naxos do NOT overlap with the two Santoro symphonies previously released on BIS (4 and 9). Naxos says that this begins a complete cycle of all 14 symphonies.

Brian

Obviously, when they complete the full cycle of 14, there will be a bit of overlap - but not a lot! A really enormous amount of unrecorded music, there.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 18, 2022, 10:00:20 AM
Brian: there was blood and a single gunshot, but just who shot who?!

So that's a buy for you?  ;D ;D

kyjo

Quote from: André on January 18, 2022, 11:07:19 AM

Oh, yes!! Excellent news! I've been waiting for more recordings of his music ever since the BIS recording of Symphonies 4 and 9 years ago!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Madiel

MORE MARCH

I'm not sure how close he is to completing the series. I'd probably be quite keen on a box set...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!