New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 09, 2022, 07:17:38 PM
I'm expecting a recording of the whole Belkis that is not a Blu-Ray incarnation as it's the only recording available of the complete ballet.

The Schulhoff, Malipiero, Yoshimatsu and Yun look enticing too.

Yeah, you know it's crazy to think that there hasn't been a recording of the complete Belkis. You'd think an enterprising label like BIS, Chandos, Naxos et. al. would've jumped on this already. :-\

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 09, 2022, 07:17:38 PM
I'm expecting a recording of the whole Belkis that is not a Blu-Ray incarnation as it's the only recording available of the complete ballet.

The Schulhoff, Malipiero, Yoshimatsu and Yun look enticing too.

+1. Thank you, John!

Mirror Image

Ras

A new recording of Bach's Mass in B minor by Rene Jacobs with a new line-up of soloists on Harmnonia Mundi:

[asin]B09V3WFLVR[/asin]
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Ras

Pianist F. Colli is starting on a Mozart series on Chandos.
He has previousliy released Scarlatti and Bach for the same label.

[asin]B09WCJLKDK[/asin]

Ras

There is apparently a Beethoven epidemic among cellists: There are three new recordings of his cello sonatas:

--Cellist Roel Dieltiens and Andras Staier on Harmonia Mundi (Period instruments).

--Alisa Weilerstein and Inon Barnatan on Pentatone

--Cellist Sung-Won Yang and pianist Enrico Pace on Decca.

Brian

Federico Colli is one of the biggest mistakes in judgment Chandos has ever displayed, a vulgarian with foul taste who scrawls his ideas across the music in colorful Sharpie. He seems to prefer the classical and baroque eras because the less detailed written scores of that era give him freedom to impose all of his ideas without ever deciding if they will actually work.

Not that I have feelings about it or anything  ;D

MusicTurner

Sounds interesting actually ;)

MusicTurner

Quote from: Ras on May 13, 2022, 04:28:06 AM
There is apparently a Beethoven epidemic among cellists: There are three new recordings of his cello sonatas:

--Cellist Roel Dieltiens and Andras Staier on Harmonia Mundi (Period instruments).

--Alisa Weilerstein and Inon Barnatan on Pentatone

--Cellist Sung-Won Yang and pianist Enrico Pace on Decca.

Dieltiens' Martinu Cello Sonatas are superb, the ones I prefer. Obviously, the Beethoven must be heavily HIP, though.

Todd

Quote from: Ras on May 13, 2022, 04:28:06 AM--Cellist Sung-Won Yang and pianist Enrico Pace on Decca.

Don't care about the other two, but I must find where to buy this one.  I have never been able to find Yang's first cycle, and he and Pace make one of the best piano-cello duos on record, so one of my missions for 2022 is to buy this.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on May 13, 2022, 04:58:32 AM
Federico Colli is one of the biggest mistakes in judgment Chandos has ever displayed, a vulgarian with foul taste who scrawls his ideas across the music in colorful Sharpie. He seems to prefer the classical and baroque eras because the less detailed written scores of that era give him freedom to impose all of his ideas without ever deciding if they will actually work.

Not that I have feelings about it or anything  ;D

This is one of the most entertaining things I've read all day.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Todd

4.54 kilograms of piano playing.

Todd

Now this intrigues.

One to stream.

Three nice mixed programs. 

JBS

Quote from: Todd on May 13, 2022, 09:32:31 AM

4.54 kilograms of piano playing.

Of which I have about 2.25 kilograms already. Is the remaining 2.25 kilograms worth the probably expensive price the set will go for? Not likely.

It is a nice touch that they don't see it necessary to state whose recordings they are, but merely supply his face.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

JULY preview is here!

Haydn Vol. 12 is symphonies 61, 66, 69

I don't know what traumatic brain injury has happened to the BIS designer who created that Hugo Wolf cover. Jeez.

The Torstensson on BIS is chamber music for 12-15 musicians with brass interludes.

Guerra-Peixe is reportedly one of the more populist, folksy Brazilian composers, unlike say Claudio Santoro. His name means "War Fish".

The Piemontesi PentaTone album is Ravel Concerto in G + Schoenberg Concerto + Oiseaux exotiques = 57 minutes

Raphael Merlin hereby wins the prize for Worst Composition Name By Composer With The Coolest Name.

By the way, the conversation about Beethoven cello sonatas continues!

Robert DeMaine is principal cellist of the LAPO since 2012; before that he was principal cellist for the Detroit Symphony.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on May 14, 2022, 07:10:28 PM

Soloist and conductor work well together.  Hopefully a full cycle will result.

57 minutes of goodness.

The Schubert and Bartok/Berg/Stravinsky recordings are excellent.

Must buy to hear more from Takacs.

Symphonic Addict

Now, that's some remarkable stuff!

The Naxos series of Brazilian music continues intriguing us.

The Mayer, Norgard, Tournament for 20 fingers CD, Hiller and Boyer are of my special interest too!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 14, 2022, 07:23:48 PM
The Naxos series of Brazilian music continues intriguing us.

Indeed! Looking forward to checking out Guerra-Peixe. I guess they're done with their Guarnieri series. :-\ More Villa-Lobos would be nice. I'd love to have a new recording of the symphonic poems Gênesis and Erosão for example.

JBS

Is the Norgard new recordings or simply packaging existing ones together?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on May 14, 2022, 07:30:35 PM
Is the Norgard new recordings or simply packaging existing ones together?

Repackaging. Look at the names on the left-side of the cover.