New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 14, 2022, 07:33:31 PM
Repackaging. Look at the names on the left-side of the cover.

I figured it was, but I'm not really familiar with Norgard recordings. The only one I specifically remembered was Storgards.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 14, 2022, 07:30:03 PM
Indeed! Looking forward to checking out Guerra-Peixe. I guess they're done with their Guarnieri series. :-\ More Villa-Lobos would be nice. I'd love to have a new recording of the symphonic poems Gênesis and Erosão for example.
I see no reason to think they're done with Guarnieri! The new Choros disc that came out last month said Vol. 2 and there are more in the cycle, right? Seems like they are covering a lot of ground simultaneously. (This new Guerra-Peixe disc was recorded in studio way back in 2016.)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on May 14, 2022, 07:53:28 PM
I see no reason to think they're done with Guarnieri! The new Choros disc that came out last month said Vol. 2 and there are more in the cycle, right? Seems like they are covering a lot of ground simultaneously. (This new Guerra-Peixe disc was recorded in studio way back in 2016.)

It looks like they're done with Guarnieri's Choros --- he only composed seven of them. I'm just crossing my fingers for more Villa-Lobos and Guarnieri, but if they want to record some more Santoro and add in a few recordings of Mignone, I won't complain. :)

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 14, 2022, 07:59:48 PM
It looks like they're done with Guarnieri's Choros --- he only composed seven of them. I'm just crossing my fingers for more Villa-Lobos and Guarnieri, but if they want to record some more Santoro and add in a few recordings of Mignone, I won't complain. :)

IIRC they intend to record all of Santoro's symphonies.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on May 14, 2022, 08:01:30 PM
IIRC they intend to record all of Santoro's symphonies.

8) Good to read.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 14, 2022, 07:59:48 PM
It looks like they're done with Guarnieri's Choros --- he only composed seven of them.
Gotcha, thanks!

DavidW

Do you ever notice how new releases of works come in two or threes?  I just listened to a new release of Beethoven cello sonatas, and here is yet another.  This kind of thing happens almost every month!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 14, 2022, 07:30:03 PM
Indeed! Looking forward to checking out Guerra-Peixe. I guess they're done with their Guarnieri series. :-\ More Villa-Lobos would be nice. I'd love to have a new recording of the symphonic poems Gênesis and Erosão for example.

I hope Naxos record the two Guarnieri Violin Concerti - no idea what they are like but if the 2nd volume of the concertante Choros is anything to go by, they will be very good.......

North Star

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 16, 2022, 07:35:10 AM
I hope Naxos record the two Guarnieri Violin Concerti - no idea what they are like but if the 2nd volume of the concertante Choros is anything to go by, they will be very good.......
Hear, hear! Naxos, if you're reading - more Guarnieri, please  :P
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

JBS

It would be a nice follow-up..
But does anyone know if Brazilian DVDs will play on US or European DVD players without a problem?

Sorry for the illegibility: that's the only image on Amazon.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on May 16, 2022, 01:36:11 PM
But does anyone know if Brazilian DVDs will play on US or European DVD players without a problem?

Very doubtful since Latin American countries are Region 4 and the US and Canada are Region 1. If it's Region 0, then, obviously, you'll have no problems playing back on any DVD player.

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 16, 2022, 02:05:30 PM
Very doubtful since Latin American countries are Region 4 and the US and Canada are Region 1. If it's Region 0, then, obviously, you'll have no problems playing back on any DVD player.

I just sent a query via Amazon's messaging system. I'll post the answer when I get it.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: JBS on May 16, 2022, 01:36:11 PM

Occasionally I've purchased a Latin American release of a movie that is, for whatever reason, not in print in the U.S. and they've usually been region 0. I was curious and poking around of discogs I came across a few DVDs from this same record label that were region 0. (They were pop music, not classical.) I think you have a decent chance that it will turn out to be region 0. A publisher has an incentive to make a release region 0 (to maximize sales) unless they can't get the rights to publish in other regions. For obscure stuff like this, it doesn't seem likely to be the case.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

A niche within a niche within a niche.

Very intriguing. 

Rapid fire reissues.

What an awful cover.  It looks like fill flash rather than reflectors were used, and if you're going to use lens flare for creative purposes, go with at least nine rounded aperture blades. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

The new erato

Reminds me of the legal firm Dewey, Cheatham and Howe.

JBS

Speaking of names it appears via a very quick bit of googling that Franz and Carl Doppler (who were actually Hungarian) were not related to Christian Doppler, the Austrian who figured out the Doppler Effect.

Symphonic Addict

I thought that these releases could be of interest for some here:

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Brian

From now on every album cover should be a tiny picture of the composer with a guy staring at it.