New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on May 25, 2022, 03:33:30 PM
From now on every album cover should be a tiny picture of the composer with a guy staring at it.

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Quote from: JBS on May 16, 2022, 01:36:11 PM
It would be a nice follow-up..
But does anyone know if Brazilian DVDs will play on US or European DVD players without a problem?

Sorry for the illegibility: that's the only image on Amazon.

The Amazon seller finally replied to my query. The DVD is Region O; the included CD contains inter alia the scores in PDF.

Still mulling over whether I want to get it.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on May 20, 2022, 05:26:23 AM

I know Florian Deuter's Bach - the tone he makes is quite distinctive, not for me. Nevertheless there is some unusual  music on this thing which makes me want to check it out

QuoteWhile today it is easy to listen to almost any piece at any time and in almost any place, before the invention of recordings it was quite complicated: you had to go to a concert or to the opera or you played yourself. In the emerging bourgeoisie, arrangements of the most popular works in instrumentations suitable for chamber music were popular and, of course, Mozart's famous operas were at the top of the popularity scale.
In many places, publishers set about transcribing Mozart's works for small and very small ensembles.

The two violinists Florian Deuter and Mónica Waisman have found a whole series of such contemporary arrangements of Mozart's operas and piano sonatas in "pocket format" for violin duo, which bring the well-known melodies into the new form with much wit and finesse.

In the process, the listener can grin and observe the reduction of the full sound and delve into delightful details of house music around 1800.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Symphonic Addict

At last a recording of Raff's Fifth String Quartet in C major:
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 25, 2022, 02:51:35 PM
I thought that these releases could be of interest for some here:

Very much to me. Thanks a lot!

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 26, 2022, 01:05:54 PM
At last a recording of Raff's Fifth String Quartet in C major:

Nice! And it's great to have a new recording of the delightful SQ No. 7, of course!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

staxomega

I just bought the last of the BIS series of Schnittke CDs I was missing. So you can expect a box set announcement for them any moment now  :laugh:

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 26, 2022, 03:11:42 PM
Very much to me. Thanks a lot!

My pleasure, Manabu!

Quote from: kyjo on May 28, 2022, 08:00:32 AM
Nice! And it's great to have a new recording of the delightful SQ No. 7, of course!

Absolutely, a most welcome release overall.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

relm1

Quote from: hvbias on May 28, 2022, 08:30:14 AM
I just bought the last of the BIS series of Schnittke CDs I was missing. So you can expect a box set announcement for them any moment now  :laugh:

And once you buy that box set, you can expect an announcement of the anniversary remaster box set with a recently discovered one minute premiere of something. :P

Mirror Image

Quote from: hvbias on May 28, 2022, 08:30:14 AM

Isn't that the truth? This is why I'm hesitant to start collecting a series, because I'm weary that a box set is just around the corner. But I think you'll be safe with this Schnittke purchase since no one really pays much attention to this composer, unfortunately.

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 25, 2022, 02:51:35 PM
I thought that these releases could be of interest for some here:

Indeed they are! Thanks Cesar.
Lopes-Graca in particular.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on May 27, 2022, 04:34:52 AM

I was at that Uchida concert. It was OK.

I think the Armida Mozart series is excellent, well worth hearing.

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on May 20, 2022, 05:26:23 AM

Ensemble Musikfrabrik have done some amazing things, they have a really impressive discography, which I've hardly explored. I'm going to use this new release as a spur to do so!

The new erato

I really do love this disc:

Mandryka

Mandryka

Mandryka

Brian

Tidying up some more stuff for JULY that hasn't been posted yet.

Chandos has been obsessively doing complete cycles of all the core repertoire, and now they've arrived at Haydn piano trios. A couple interesting notes on this one:

For this survey of the complete Haydn Trios, pianist Nicholas Rimmer notes: "We have decided to record the trios neither chronologically nor in the groups in which they were first published. Instead, we have aimed to create an interesting and contrasted 'program' of trios for each volume, so that it can be listened to in a single, satisfying sitting. In addition, we have asked a composer to write a short work inspired by one of the trios from each volume, and we are excited by the contemporary perspectives on Haydn that these composers open up for us. This first album features a work by our good friend, the percussionist and composer Johannes Fischer."

In addition to pianist Nicholas Rimmer, the trio features violinist Jonian Ilias Kadesha and cellist Vashti Mimosa Hunter.

amw

Quote from: Brian on June 01, 2022, 06:04:16 AM

For this survey of the complete Haydn Trios, pianist Nicholas Rimmer notes: "We have decided to record the trios neither chronologically nor in the groups in which they were first published. Instead, we have aimed to create an interesting and contrasted 'program' of trios for each volume, so that it can be listened to in a single, satisfying sitting. In addition, we have asked a composer to write a short work inspired by one of the trios from each volume, and we are excited by the contemporary perspectives on Haydn that these composers open up for us. This first album features a work by our good friend, the percussionist and composer Johannes Fischer."

In addition to pianist Nicholas Rimmer, the trio features violinist Jonian Ilias Kadesha and cellist Vashti Mimosa Hunter.
Based on their recording of the Alexander Blok Romances by Shostakovich (which I swear I posted a review of here but maybe I didn't) I'm not sure I'm extremely interested in their Haydn, but I am pretty interested to hear them play contemporary works.