New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

An oddly mixed programme from Hillary Hahn and Andrés Orozco-Estrada: the Dvořák and Ginastera Violin Concerti, and Sarasate's Carmen-Fantasie.

Announced for October. It'll be nice to have a new recording of Ginastera's superb concerto.

Daverz

Quote from: ritter on June 23, 2022, 11:50:26 AM
It'll be nice to have a new recording of Ginastera's superb concerto.

Ooooooooo, Hahn in Ginastera.

I have the live Accardo recording from 1968.  The crowd goes wild at the end, it's reallly a barn burner of a performance.  There was also a live Ricci recording, but I recall the sonics and playing as being rather rough, and I didn't keep it.  And I also have the newish Andrew Wan recording.  Will have to give that a spin as I haven't formed an opinion of it yet.

Spotted Horses

An oddly mixed programme from Hillary Hahn and Andrés Orozco-Estrada: the Dvořák and Ginastera Violin Concerti, and Sarasate's Carmen-Fantasie.

Announced for October. It'll be nice to have a new recording of Ginastera's superb concerto.

She's all growed up. :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

Quote from: Daverz on June 23, 2022, 01:52:12 PM
Ooooooooo, Hahn in Ginastera.

I have the live Accardo recording from 1968.  The crowd goes wild at the end, it's reallly a barn burner of a performance.  There was also a live Ricci recording, but I recall the sonics and playing as being rather rough, and I didn't keep it.  And I also have the newish Andrew Wan recording.  Will have to give that a spin as I haven't formed an opinion of it yet.

Well get on it, and report please!  >:D
In seriousness, I don't have a recording of the Ginastera, and the couplings on Wan/Nagano interest me more than those on this Hahn CD. (Although the Sarasate counts as a guilty pleasure.)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Nice! Definitely interested to hear how she does in the Dvořák and Ginastera. My only complaint is why do all of these new classical releases especially on DG and Decca have to have some kind of title? What does Ginastera's VC have to do with an eclipse? Anyway...

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Madiel on June 23, 2022, 02:05:29 PM
She is 42 years old.

Yes, my perception is that she made a cluster of recordings when she was very young and something of a prodigy, and this is the first recording I have noticed now that she is a mature performer. Perhaps I have just not been paying attention. I've never heard a recording from her that didn't make a very positive impression.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 24, 2022, 05:25:21 AM
Yes, my perception is that she made a cluster of recordings when she was very young and something of a prodigy, and this is the first recording I have noticed now that she is a mature performer. Perhaps I have just not been paying attention. I've never heard a recording from her that didn't make a very positive impression.
She took a couple years off as a new mom, but there are a few you missed. Last year's album was an odd mix too - Chausson, Prokofiev, and Rautavaara.

pjme

Daverz

Quote from: JBS on June 23, 2022, 06:39:43 PM

Wan and Nagano are excellent in the Ginastera.  Highly recommended. 

Mandryka

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/70/000150107.pdf

Two different pianos, specially made cello. Sounds good.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Something good is going on in the Schumann. It's a very fine recording on a piano with an excellent clear bass response and that reveals a lot of music in the lower register , well contrasted Florestan and Eusebius, impetuosity and reverie. This is a thing I will explore.

Mandryka

Yea! Favourite composer!

JBS

Quote from: Daverz on June 24, 2022, 12:34:45 PM
Wan and Nagano are excellent in the Ginastera.  Highly recommended.

To the list it goes.
I dimly remember Andre liking it as well.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Hans Holbein

pjme

Roasted Swan

Quote from: JBS on June 23, 2022, 06:39:43 PM
In seriousness, I don't have a recording of the Ginastera, and the couplings on Wan/Nagano interest me more than those on this Hahn CD. (Although the Sarasate counts as a guilty pleasure.)

Here's a postive review of this disc.....

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Jan/Ginastera-Violin-AN28920.htm

Mandryka

https://paradizo.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/PA0019_Digital_Booklet.pdf

QuoteFrom documentary evidence, this recording was made in the spring of 1962. The reel-to-reel tape masters of these recordings have not sur- vived. An extraordinarily rare LP that managed to survive in fine con- dition was used for the vinyl to digital transfer. This recording has not previously been available on CD or digitally, and has not appeared in any of the various 'Gustav Leonhardt Editions' issued by the labels for which he later recorded.

Mandryka

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/81/000151018.pdf

https://www.delphianrecords.com/products/heloise-werner-phrases

As far as I'm concerned Héloise Werner has the voice of an angel.  It doesn't matter what she's singing, she can make it into music.