Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

JBS

Quote from: Mandryka on June 26, 2022, 12:46:24 AM

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/81/000151018.pdf

https://www.delphianrecords.com/products/heloise-werner-phrases

As far as I'm concerned Héloise Werner has the voice of an angel.  It doesn't matter what she's singing, she can make it into music.

That belongs in the bad cover art thread, splitting the name like that. If your comment hadn't included her name, I'd still be struggling to figure out what Helo Phrases Ïse means. A connection to Shinto via the Shrine of Ise perhaps?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

I'm not sure if these have been mentioned yet...

And new vinyl issue of Bernstein's Mahler symphony cycle on DG:

Roy Bland

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 27, 2022, 07:14:12 AM

And new vinyl issue of Bernstein's Mahler symphony cycle on DG:

Cool  8)

DavidW

MI, do you know if there will be a cd release of that Bernstein cycle packaged that way? because that looks amazing and a step up from the bargain box packaging.

Brian

Here's a truly odd program:

Sergej Prokofjew: Violinkonzert No. 2 in g-Moll, op. 63 ▪ Pablo de Sarasate: Carmen-Fantasie, op. 25 Benjamin Britten: Violinkonzert d-Moll, op. 15 ▪ Francisco Tarrega: Recuerdos de la Alhambra

Also, Adam Fischer and the Danish Chamber Orchestra have recorded a complete Brahms Symphonies cycle on Naxos. No couplings, just the symphonies, 3 CDs. If it's as weird as Fischer's Beethoven, it will be very weird.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on June 29, 2022, 06:07:59 AM
MI, do you know if there will be a cd release of that Bernstein cycle packaged that way? because that looks amazing and a step up from the bargain box packaging.

It appears that it's an LP only reissue, Dave. And this is fine by me, because I already own this iteration of the Mahler Bernstein on DG, which I'm more than happy with:

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 01, 2022, 05:47:50 AM
It appears that it's an LP only reissue, Dave. And this is fine by me, because I already own this iteration of the Mahler Bernstein on DG, which I'm more than happy with:

That is a lovely cover.  Do the individual sleeves have the original artwork like that vinyl reissue has?

Which reminds me, I know that most people don't like Rattle/Birmingham's Mahler but boy EMI's original artwork for that series was pretty cool.

Bachtoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on July 01, 2022, 06:46:57 AM
That is a lovely cover.  Do the individual sleeves have the original artwork like that vinyl reissue has?

Which reminds me, I know that most people don't like Rattle/Birmingham's Mahler but boy EMI's original artwork for that series was pretty cool.

Nope. The original cover art wasn't used, but the box set has its own special design with three individual box sets, which is rather nice:

kyjo

A 2-disc set (!) featuring works works for string trio by Tomasi, Cras, Emile Goué, Francaix, Casadesus, Gustave Samazeuilh (great name!), and Pierné.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Karl Henning

I've not yet been listening to the Mitropoulos set because the shipment has been a Comedy of Errors, starting with it was released on 22 April, but initial supply was apparently low, and apparently I was not a priority recipient. Latest is: the lady at Sony told me delivery was expected yesterday, but the parcel is still sitting in Indiana, and when it gets to Massachusetts, nobody knows.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Not that there are ants in my pants, but I'm curious if Mitya can sell me on the Borodin b minor symphony ...
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

The draw is Takahiro Sonoda playing the concertos.

Dueling Oksanas.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on July 02, 2022, 09:23:12 AM

A CD featuring Chopin's PC1 only? That's a 30-min long CD at most. Who would pay for that, I wonder? :o
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on July 02, 2022, 09:36:35 AM
A CD featuring Chopin's PC1 only? That's a 30-min long CD at most. Who would pay for that, I wonder? :o

It has an encore as well.

It can be streamed for $0/€0/¥0 marginal cost.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on July 02, 2022, 09:54:03 AM
It has an encore as well.

:D

QuoteIt can be streamed for $0/€0/¥0 marginal cost.

Sure. It's just that I don't frequently see such short-timed releases.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on July 02, 2022, 09:36:35 AM

Also, what seasoned listener needs another Chopin f minor concerto?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA