New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen, jurek and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mandryka

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PsQApuz2-wg

It's a live version of the music in his Pied Piper recording for Christophorus - this is solo flute as far as I can see ans my first impressions are that it's a great improvement in sound quality.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on August 20, 2019, 02:17:48 AM

Will appeal to people who like Sempe/Fortin and early Hantai, all three of whom have worked with her.

And now this

Warning: agogic hesitations everywhere. I don't find them unnatural at all but you  . . . . try before you buy.

If you can understand French you can hear her in discussion -- quite an intelligent discussion -- here

http://metaclassique.com/metaclassique-175-definir/

pjme

Cross posted from Whatopera are you listening to,

Last week, on the radio: exclusive avant-première Matthew Locke : Psyche.
Ensemble Correspondances  - Sébastien Daucé.
The Harmonia Mundi recording should be out by september 23rd
Entertaining and lovely.

https://www.harmoniamundi.com/main.swf#!/albums/2782

Operafreak

The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

vandermolen

September release (with interesting notes  8))
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roy Bland

Hope that sound quality is better than in Naxos/Arnold ,it was full of distorsions with badly calculated timing

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on July 24, 2022, 07:58:43 AM
Update on this: the Olafsson recital is being released as a 2 CD set - he recorded it once on Steinway, and once on a home-style upright piano to conjure memories of practicing piano as a child.

Full tracklist:
01 J.S. Bach: Christe, du Lamm Gottes, BWV 619 (Arr. G. Kurtág)
02: Schumann: Study in Canonic form, Op. 56 No. 1
03: J.S. Bach: Adagio from Sonata for Solo Violin in C Major (Arr. Víkingur Ólafsson)
04: Kurtág: Harmonica (Hommage á Borsody László) (From Játékok / Book 3)
05: Bartók:  I. Rubato (Three Hungarian Folksongs from the Csìk)
06: Bartók: II. L'istesso tempo (Three Hungarian Folksongs from the Csìk)
07: Bartók: III. Poco vivo (Three Hungarian Folksongs from the Csìk)
08: Brahms: Intermezzo Op. 116, No. 4
09: Kurtág: A Voice in the Distance (From Játékok / Book 5)
10: Birgisson: Where Life and Death May Dwell (Icelandic Folk Song)
11: J.S.Bach: Trio Sonata No. 1, BWV 525: 1. Allegro moderato (Transcr. G. Kurtág)
12: Kaldalóns: Ave María (Arr. Víkingur Ólafsson)
13: Kurtág: Little Chorale (From Játékok / Book 1)
14: Mozart: Laudate Dominum (Arr. Víkingur Ólafsson)
15: Kurtág: Sleepily (From Játékok / Book 1)
16: Schumann: Träumerei Op. 15, No. 7
17: Kurtág: Flowers We Are (From Játékok / Book 7)
18: Adès: The Branch (Az Ág)
19: Kurtág: Twittering (From Játékok / Book 1)
20: Schumann: Vogel als Prophet Op. 82, No. 7
21: Brahms: Intermezzo Op. 116, No. 5
22: Kurtág: Scraps of a Colinda Melody – Faintly Recollected (Hommage à Farkas Ferenc) (From Játékok / Book 3)

Now that I've thoroughly gone down the Vikingur trail, this whole double album thing is looking considerably less appealing.

He's essentially done this before on a smaller scale, with the Bach Reworks add-on to his Bach album, and the Reflections add-on to his Debussy-Rameau album. Both of those include recordings on an upright, of pieces also in "regular" form.

But it's not just an upright. It's a muffled, clunky upright, seemingly chosen precisely because it's wonky sounding. It might have particular associations for him, but for me as a listener it comes across as an affectation, not something I would listen to in preference to the cleaner recording on the main album.

His approach this time seems to be to force the upright version upon us. I'm certainly not keen to pay for a 2nd disc that is redundant, and even if the price is the same as a single album I wouldn't be that keen on acquiring a redundant disc. I felt the same way over a recording of Beethoven piano duets that had almost exactly the same gimmick, and a string quartet album where you had no choice but to purchase a CD and SACD together. There's quite enough junk in the house as it is.

I'll listen to it on streaming, but I very much doubt my view will change given that it's based on the evidence from his previous projects. And I will keep my eye out for a later single disc version. Heck, I'm even thinking of raising it with Deutsche Grammophon.

EDIT: And now I've written to Deutsche Grammophon, explaining how they are not increasing the number of discs I'll buy from 1 to 2, they are decreasing it to zero.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

Forthcoming:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Mandryka

Extraordinary - has this ever been done before?

Todd

Quote from: Mandryka on August 19, 2022, 09:31:22 AM

Extraordinary - has this ever been done before?

People playing multiple parts for one recording?  Yes.  Grumiaux did it decades ago.  The Emerson String Quartet did it.  Patricia Kopatchinskaja did it.  I'm sure there are others.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on August 19, 2022, 09:36:37 AM
People playing multiple parts for one recording?  Yes.  Grumiaux did it decades ago.  The Emerson String Quartet did it.  Patricia Kopatchinskaja did it.  I'm sure there are others.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

Mandryka

Beethoven/Liszt Symphony 6, Lachenmann Serynade and Marche Fatale.

Que

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on August 19, 2022, 10:29:37 AM
VERY interesting!  :)

I've been listening to their Obrecht this afternoon, with great pleasure. So I too am looking forward to this. I've never knowing heard anything by Barbignant, but I see a track on Blue Heron's Ockegham and Rooley's Chansonnier Cordiforme and La Morra's Le Jardin de Plaisance.

(Rooley is wonderful!)

Harry

Quote from: Que on August 19, 2022, 10:29:37 AM
VERY interesting!  :)

To my utter dismay, after listening to recordings by Beauty Farm, I begin to understand that it could be necessary to buy them all. I will of course print new cover art and block those horrific covers.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on August 19, 2022, 10:39:39 AM
I've been listening to their Obrecht this afternoon, with great pleasure. So I too am looking forward to this.

Yes I quite agree!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on August 19, 2022, 10:39:39 AM
I've been listening to their Obrecht this afternoon, with great pleasure. So I too am looking forward to this. I've never knowing heard anything by Barbignant, but I see a track on Blue Heron's Ockegham and Rooley's Chansonnier Cordiforme and La Morra's Le Jardin de Plaisance.
(Rooley is wonderful!)
Quote from: Harry on August 19, 2022, 10:40:00 AM
To my utter dismay, after listening to recordings by Beauty Farm, I begin to understand that it could be necessary to but them all. I will of course print new cover art and block those horrific covers.

Harry - I'm aghast!  :laugh:  Guess that I'm the next one up for a listen - plenty on Spotify - any recommendations as to a 'starter' recording of this group w/ the 'queasy' cover art that will convince me?  Thanks - Dave  8)