New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Brian on October 17, 2022, 06:31:29 AM

Luisi's Inextinguishable appears to be rather slow: 36:31, compared to Gilbert (36:00), Oramo (35:26), Kuchar (34:00), or Martinon (32:44).

Even Nielsen on the cover looks a bit underwhelmed at the thought of ANOTHER Nielsen cycle.  I love Nielsen, I like Luisi and of course the Danish NSO are superb but really.......

Florestan

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 17, 2022, 11:49:53 PM
Even Nielsen on the cover looks a bit underwhelmed at the thought of ANOTHER Nielsen cycle.  I love Nielsen, I like Luisi and of course the Danish NSO are superb but really.......

The urge to record them is inextinguishable...  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Wanderer

Quote from: Brian on October 17, 2022, 06:31:29 AM
Luisi's Inextinguishable...

It's already available for streaming and, same as with Dudamel's recent LAPO Dvořák, there doesn't (yet) seem to be plans for a physical release.

Quote from: ultralinear on October 18, 2022, 01:40:01 AM
That may be better than one that's too fast - ...

Indeed. I listened to this version when it became available a few days ago and my reaction was very positive. The climaxes (and what follows) in this work need their time to be shaped properly so that they unleash their full power; rushing through them feels unbecoming and robs the work of its impact.

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 17, 2022, 11:49:53 PM
...ANOTHER Nielsen cycle.

Good. The interpretative potential to be found and explored in great music is unending.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Florestan on October 18, 2022, 01:47:45 AM
The urge to record them is inextinguishable...  ;D

keep it simple please

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Brian

Quote from: Wanderer on October 18, 2022, 02:13:49 AM
Indeed. I listened to this version when it became available a few days ago and my reaction was very positive. The climaxes (and what follows) in this work need their time to be shaped properly so that they unleash their full power; rushing through them feels unbecoming and robs the work of its impact.
Sounds good! I just streamed clips of Norrington, who gets through the symphony even faster than Martinon did, and it sounded awful: the orchestra simply could not stay together at his chosen speed.

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

And this:
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Florestan on October 18, 2022, 03:37:54 AM
It's a question of temperament.

can you expand on that at all  [OK OK that's weak but give me a break!!]

Brian

A BIT OF DECEMBER STUFF

World premiere recording of the 38 minute, 5 movement Sinfonia Epitalamio.

JBS

I just listened to Muza Rubackyte playing the Bauer arrangement that's on the Franck recording...
The Wolf-Ferrari definitely interests me.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 18, 2022, 11:50:08 AM

Good news about the De Hartmann release - I really enjoyed Vol. 1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 18, 2022, 11:53:26 AM
can you expand on that at all  [OK OK that's weak but give me a break!!]

On the contrary, it's a very good one. I have no more options, you win.  :D

Harry

I am not aware that this release is yet posted, so her it is.
I very much look forwards to it.

Has anyone ever listen to Melchior Schildt's organ music, also on Aeolus. And if yes, could I get some feedback on this interpretation.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on October 14, 2022, 01:57:40 PM

Oooooh!  Where did you see the Prazak one listed?  And what kind of prices have you seen it going for?  Or is it still in the pipeline?

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

prémont

Quote from: Harry on October 19, 2022, 03:13:50 AM
I am not aware that this release is yet posted, so her it is.
I very much look forwards to it.

Has anyone ever listen to Melchior Schildt's organ music, also on Aeolus. And if yes, could I get some feedback on this interpretation.

I have recently made an effort to find it on my shelfs (the Schildt), but haven't found it (yet?). This despite I seem to recall, that I by mistake purchased two items of it.  :-[

The Titelouze looks indeed interesting.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Harry

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 19, 2022, 03:23:45 AM
I have recently made an effort to find it on my shelfs, but haven't found it (yet?). This despite I seem to recall, that I by mistake purchased two items of it.  :-[

O, dear can I apply for it, and maybe sent something in return you might like, but then I forget you have already all the organ music  I like :)
I am glad that my collection is well organized, otherwise I would go berserk :o
I am glad you made the effort to find it though.

Pohjolas Daughter

I have recently made an effort to find it on my shelfs (the Schildt), but haven't found it (yet?).

The Titelouze looks interesting.

:laugh: :)  I'm laughing with you rather than at you...as I can relate to sometimes having the trouble finding things and asking myself "Now where did I put that?  When did I see it last?"

Good luck with that!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Harry

I have recently made an effort to find it on my shelfs (the Schildt), but haven't found it (yet?). This despite I seem to recall, that I by mistake purchased two items of it.  :-[

The Titelouze looks indeed interesting.

Especially the organ on which it is played. I hope Berben keeps his penchant for tempi under control. He can rush things to be quite honest. I have some Titelouze on a French organ box, which I bought some time ago.