New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Roy Bland

Symphonic Addict

More Raff, and Juon:
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on November 08, 2022, 01:01:18 AM
What is the Kurek like?

Very filmic.  Lots of atmosphere and lush melodies.  I thought the choral music after was lovely.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on November 08, 2022, 05:35:55 AM
Very filmic.  Lots of atmosphere and lush melodies.  I thought the choral music after was lovely.
Many thanks  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/13/000153931.pdf

The only thing that's caught my ear so far is Sylvain Bergeron on a lute. 3 minutes - but a very ethereal 3 minutes.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Bachtoven

Mandryka

Que

Symphonic Addict

Works for two pianos by Reinecke:

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Oh my... at last we're having recordings of Bacewicz's symphonies! But I wonder why they didn't record the first two symphonies prior these ones. It looks like a promising series:

Noam Chomsky

Brian

That is exciting! And with some of CPO's best artists. They often do not go in chronological order on their symphony cycles so there's hope that 1 and 2 will follow.

Mandryka

Two composed trios and four improvised duos.  No online booklet - I'd love to know how determinate  the trios are - they "sound improvised", whatever that means. That's  a credit to the performers maybe.

Mandryka

Mandryka

Modern piano, first impressions suggest nuanced and refined playing -  maybe to a fault, but nonetheless worth a shot once or twice. The music's all very familiar, but it's nice to have Anh 137 - some variations. I like Mozart in variation mode.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7uAWqahfEmRvgRpkuETMUq

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/59/000153795.pdf

Mandryka

Now streaming

Todd

Clara Schumann's Piano Concerto gets another recording.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Wonder who did the orchestrations for the Goerne Schubert album because that could be really good.

The Clara Schumann piano concerto is simply not good enough to justify this many recordings and live performances (the Dallas Symphony did it a few weeks ago). She was only 14 years old, and the work is quite formulaic and stiff except for the strangely beautiful slow trio for piano, solo cello, and timpani. I suspect a fundamental laziness by concert promoters and record labels, going for the famous, marketable "brand name" rather than looking through the rest of history for a work by a woman (or commissioning a new one).