New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMeatScience and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on December 04, 2022, 02:50:46 AM"Piano Four-Hands" is a general term for these sorts of pieces. I honestly don't know what you should do if you try to add the word "Sonatas" at the end!

That's precisely why I asked. Four-Hands Sonatas is not quite correct, is it?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on December 04, 2022, 04:35:22 AMThat's precisely why I asked. Four-Hands Sonatas is not quite correct, is it?

Well it depends. If you regard "Piano Four-Hands" as a kind of instrument, then it's right. If you want Four-Hand, then arguably it would be Four-Hand piano sonatas.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

Or Sonatas for Piano Four Hands?

And going to look to see what Raff himself called them....he doesn't seem to have titled anything he wrote for Piano Four Hands as a sonata
https://imslp.org/wiki/List_of_works_by_Joachim_Raff

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on December 04, 2022, 04:35:22 AMThat's precisely why I asked. Four-Hands Sonatas is not quite correct, is it?
FWIW, I would have said four-hand sonatas.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on December 04, 2022, 05:23:51 AMWell it depends. If you regard "Piano Four-Hands" as a kind of instrument, then it's right. If you want Four-Hand, then arguably it would be Four-Hand piano sonatas.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 04, 2022, 07:44:16 AMFWIW, I would have said four-hand sonatas.

That's what I thought, yes.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on December 03, 2022, 09:14:18 AMI'm not totally convinced I like the organ, but I may come round.

I think the organ is OK, but Berben uses reed stops (particularly trumpet) too much, and I feel that this relatively fast becomes tiring to the ear. Well, there are some movements where reed stops are obligatory (generally in the first verse of the hymns), but Berben uses reeds for many other movements. Nor do I like his use of the tremulant.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Roy Bland

Operafreak

Quote from: Roy Bland on November 23, 2022, 05:40:19 PMDoes it contains unreleased dutch music?
See for yourself 
https://classicsdirect.com.au/collections/pre-orders/products/concertgebouworkest-bernard-haitink-complete-studio-recordings-113cd-and-4dvd

It contains all he recordes with the Roayl Concertgebouw Orchestra including the DVD'S from The famous Christmas Matinees
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Madiel on December 04, 2022, 05:23:51 AMWell it depends. If you regard "Piano Four-Hands" as a kind of instrument, then it's right. If you want Four-Hand, then arguably it would be Four-Hand piano sonatas.

Right. I would, as a matter of in-house style, opt for the former, because it's neater. Just as "Two Pianos" is a type of instrument (group), if you will. Which is distinct from "Piano Four-Hands", although often used interchangeably... which is often a pity, because P4H does sound different than 2P and was often - well, sometimes - specifically composed for the former and not the latter setup. (Mozart trying to get his pinky into the hands of his female students of nobility, for example. :-))

Brian

SECOND HALF OF JANUARY, NAXOS DISTRIBUTED

31, 59, 48

"Town Pipe Music Around 1600"

This is a reissue of Piano Classics discs in a complete set. 1906 Steinway

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Quote from: Todd on December 08, 2022, 06:45:07 AMIntriguing.

It's already available on Amazon US Marketplace (the vendors all seem to be UK or EU based).
Back cover with track listings

And for the Letzbor CD (which is not yet available there)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: premont on December 03, 2022, 08:39:06 AMAlso I find his registrations interesting but a bit overthought and not allways well suited to the music. He may be an acquired taste, I'm not sure.
Quote from: Mandryka on December 03, 2022, 09:14:18 AMI reacted like this to the Bull and grew to like it, and in fact I sense the same mindset in the Titelouze as the thinking which guided his Bull. There's something about what he does which makes the music sound particularly interesting contrapuntally.

I'm not totally convinced I like the organ, but I may come round.

I actually like the organ a lot - check out this recording (which you may know already). All sorts of obscure and interesting sounds that all but disappeared a generation later in French Classical organs.

I actually like Berben's registrations a lot, I consider them a redeeming factor of this recording. Much more adventurous than any other Titelouze recording, he probably also took a lot of inspiration in registration instructions provided by Mersenne (which have some really weird registrations, like using 3' 2' flutes as a solo voice - Berben does this in verse II of Exultet caelum).
I like the John Bull recording a lot, I think it is inherently more extrovert music that takes better to Leon Berben's style.

premont

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on December 08, 2022, 11:23:12 PMI actually like Berben's registrations a lot, I consider them a redeeming factor of this recording. Much more adventurous than any other Titelouze recording, he probably also took a lot of inspiration in registration instructions provided by Mersenne (which have some really weird registrations, like using 3' 2' flutes as a solo voice - Berben does this in verse II of Exultet caelum).

Do we have any indication that Titelouze approved of Mersenne's theoretical ideas? And whatever the answer is, I don't like Berben's registrations. I think he underplays the majestic nature of this music.

The Eichelberger recording is unknown to me. I shall acquire it in order to hear this organ treated by other hands and feet, even if one entire CD with improvisations may be rather demanding to the attention span.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Todd

Alsop for the international market.

Alsop for the Japanese market.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: premont on December 09, 2022, 04:53:06 AMDo we have any indication that Titelouze approved of Mersenne's theoretical ideas? And whatever the answer is, I don't like Berben's registrations. I think he underplays the majestic nature of this music.

Fenner Douglass actually attributes the registration instructions to Titelouze - he was known to have corresponded a lot with Mersenne and to have given advice on L'Harmonie Universelle.

Symphonic Addict

The cycle continues:

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: premont on December 09, 2022, 04:53:06 AMDo we have any indication that Titelouze approved of Mersenne's theoretical ideas? And whatever the answer is, I don't like Berben's registrations. I think he underplays the majestic nature of this music.

I think there is a majestic quality to his Pange Lingue. The reed stops seem to make the music seem lighter, smaller scale, but IMO no less noble.  I think that in this hymn at least, Berben spotlghts the counterpoint, because the sound is so transparent,  and the sweetness of the melodies. What he does sounds beautiful to me.

As you can see, it's growing on me as the Bull did, though I fear that the other hymns seem less successful.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen