New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. D.

Quote from: Brian on March 28, 2024, 06:14:56 AMThe cover art of the EMI/Warner Sawallisch edition says there will be a Volume 2 for operas.

Thanks, good news. No opera reissues would have been a weird omission.

Mandryka

Quote from: DavidW on March 28, 2024, 05:25:15 AMHa!  New ugly cover drop from Beauty Farm... I feel like it would be low hanging fruit to cross-post this on the worst covers thread. :-X

I've never seen jeans like that, with a pocket at the top of the leg.

The cover seems to me no better and no worse than this

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: DavidW on March 28, 2024, 05:25:15 AMHa!  New ugly cover drop from Beauty Farm... I feel like it would be low hanging fruit to cross-post this on the worst covers thread. :-X

Harry is probably looking for an image of some nice Renaissance art for his replacement cover as we speak...  :D

T. D.

Agreed.  ::)  "Like shooting fish in a barrel", "no 💩, Sherlock", etc.

Madiel

By THEIR standards it's a good one.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Todd

Pletnev doing Rach live?  Yeah, should be good.

A little nepotism never hurt no one.

I'll take bizarre pairings for $1000, Ken.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Laughed at that painting.

Surely you will listen to the Schittenhelm on your Schiit amp?

Todd

Quote from: Brian on March 29, 2024, 05:25:58 AMSurely you will listen to the Schittenhelm on your Schiit amp?

It is literally mandatory.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on March 29, 2024, 04:18:52 AM

Andre Schuen makes me think of Frank Galagher in the British version of Shameless.

Brian

The Jansons DSCH box is coming back - with his concerto recordings added to the symphonies.

(Mikhail Rudy and Truls Mork are the soloists)

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mandryka on March 29, 2024, 05:32:39 AMAndre Schuen makes me think of Frank Galagher in the British version of Shameless.

I assumed the original DG cover image was Kit Harrington in Game of Thrones - "Winter is coming" and all that seemed rather appropriate....?

JBS

Quote from: Brian on March 29, 2024, 08:15:36 AMThe Jansons DSCH box is coming back - with his concerto recordings added to the symphonies.

(Mikhail Rudy and Truls Mork are the soloists)

He didn't do the violin concertos?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on March 29, 2024, 08:45:27 AMI assumed the original DG cover image was Kit Harrington in Game of Thrones - "Winter is coming" and all that seemed rather appropriate....?

:laugh:  ;D

In all seriousness, I do like that cover.

Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Quote from: Mandryka on March 29, 2024, 05:32:39 AMAndre Schuen makes me think of Frank Galagher in the British version of Shameless.

He's from the part of the Tyrol that is part of Italy. There's actually a local language called Ladin.  Heide is his long term lieder partner, and they've made several recordings including Schone Mullerin and Schwangesang.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A8_Schuen

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on March 25, 2024, 08:26:33 AM

Seems pretty nice actually. He's got a distinctive light bowing style, and the phrasing seems full of life. Here's the booklet

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/10/000166301.pdf

As with many things I will probably grow to like it, but I find it a bit too choppy and aggressive. I did enjoy the Biber passacaglia arrangement - and the earthy, viola-like sound overall.

brunumb

Quote from: Roasted Swan on March 29, 2024, 08:45:27 AMI assumed the original DG cover image was Kit Harrington in Game of Thrones - "Winter is coming" and all that seemed rather appropriate....?

Winterreise kommt  ;D

DaveF

Quote from: Mandryka on March 28, 2024, 07:50:55 AM
You gave me a copy of that one!  Good disc, and not far from my ideal of female beauty either.  If I were more appreciative of male beauty, I'm sure the chap on the new Beauty Farm disc would do it for me too.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Mandryka

Quote from: DaveF on March 30, 2024, 12:49:06 AMYou gave me a copy of that one!  Good disc, and not far from my ideal of female beauty either.  If I were more appreciative of male beauty, I'm sure the chap on the new Beauty Farm disc would do it for me too.

You got me playing it now. Very nice to.

Brian

LATE MAY STUFF ON NAXOS (that hasn't been posted before)

EDIT: Wow, I looked at the booklet of the Reinvere recording to learn more about the composer. The booklet's praise is over-the-top.

"Jüri Reinvere knows how to write music as intense as the scent of seaweed, the sultriness of a summer's night, but also with the sweat of fear in anticipation of death. He powerfully grips his listeners and does not let them go until they have experienced stories of passion and exhaustion, dreamlike beauty and nightmarish catastrophes, of longing, ecstasy and realisation."

All three of these works were written for the festival orchestra. He was a student of Lepo Sumera and Ingmar Bergman (!).

Brian

AND A LITTLE BIT MORE

Looks like we will have a new Ries cycle to compete with CPO's chamber orchestra recordings with Howard Griffiths. The total timings on each symphony are almost identical.

Pretty amazing repertoire in this, plus Janet Baker! EDIT: You can open the back cover image in a new tab to see it full-size and read the text.

Oh and just one more thing...