New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on June 20, 2024, 11:24:21 AMAnd? I found his WTC awful... ::)

It's streaming now - the music is a bit peripheral to my interests at the mo so I haven't tried.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

JBS

Quote from: ritter on June 21, 2024, 06:52:58 AMWhy, oh why, do AI images have to represent the apotheosis of kitsch?

They are all Membran, after all.

I have to admit the Prokofiev image reminds me of Grant Wood.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on June 21, 2024, 06:52:58 AMWhy, oh why, do AI images have to represent the apotheosis of kitsch?

I once asked ChatGPT "When did Louis XXII reign?" It answered "Louis XXII reigned between 1928 and 1942". To call this inteligence is an insult to stupidity.  ;D
When I'm creating at the piano, I tend to feel happy; but - the eternal dilemma - how can we be happy amid the unhappiness of others? I'd do everything I could to give everyone a moment of happiness. That's what's at the heart of my music. — Nino Rota

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on June 21, 2024, 06:05:25 PMThey are all Membran, after all.

I have to admit the Prokofiev image reminds me of Grant Wood.

Hah! American Gothic, indeed.  :laugh:
When I'm creating at the piano, I tend to feel happy; but - the eternal dilemma - how can we be happy amid the unhappiness of others? I'd do everything I could to give everyone a moment of happiness. That's what's at the heart of my music. — Nino Rota

Atriod

Quote from: Brian on June 19, 2024, 11:06:18 AMDistler is a classical and jazz pianist and focuses on piano stuff; he also writes booklets for some Sony piano boxes. David Vernier is the one who sings in choirs and loves Bach vocal and baroque. Victor Carr shows up sometimes but I don't know his deal.

Ha, thanks, that is very generous. It has happened before with a GMGer, Jens has some CT reviews. I did send them a review back in 2013. Francaix piano music played by Corinna Simon on an obscure, now extinct label called Crystal Classics. The CD is on Berkshire Record Outlet.

Anyway, MusicWeb sent the CD to me and then, before I wrote the review, the editors got in a fight with Crystal and told me they were banning reviews of all Crystal CDs! So I emailed Hurwitz and offered the review to CT. He said since it's solo piano, Jed Distler has dibs and to wait and see if Jed would review it. He never did (though he mentioned liking it in a later review). Ultimately I sent the review directly to Ms. Simon by email and nowhere else.

It's not a bad idea, you know...they need more words appearing on the site and I need an outlet to rant about random new releases sometimes...  :o  8)

He wrote the liner notes for Yuja Wang's newest album.

Mandryka

JBS

Quote from: Mandryka on June 22, 2024, 10:17:19 AM

Resolution's not good. Who is composer #2? Obrecht xxxx Brumel Agricola.  Interestingly the cover does not mention Josquin, the composer Google associates the most with the Scaramella song.

I'm going to assume they didn't work in any references to shady lawyers marginally involved in polonium poisoning.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

Quote from: JBS on June 22, 2024, 11:13:28 AMResolution's not good. Who is composer #2? Obrecht xxxx Brumel Agricola.  Interestingly the cover does not mention Josquin, the composer Google associates the most with the Scaramella song.

I'm going to assume they didn't work in any references to shady lawyers marginally involved in polonium poisoning.

LOL - Fabrice Fitch. All is explained here. I'm slightly tempted to go to the concert.

https://amuz.be/en/activity/binchois-consort-jacob-obrecht/

It'll be interesting to compare how Binchois Consort deal with an incomplete Obrecht score with how Graindelavoix dealt with an incomplete Brumel score.

Holden

Quote from: Florestan on June 22, 2024, 01:23:07 AMI once asked ChatGPT "When did Louis XXII reign?" It answered "Louis XXII reigned between 1928 and 1942". To call this inteligence is an insult to stupidity.  ;D

ChatGPT and its brethren are not search engines so you probably won't get a meaningful result from that question. However, if you'd asked "Please write a 200 word paragraph on the reign of Louis XXII" you'd get a different result. That said, as there was no Louis XXII the question would be pointless. I asked the question of Copilot and all it could give me was a potted bio of Louis XIII
Cheers

Holden

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Croatian trumpet concertos

Mandryka

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/88/000170888.pdf

I think the first track is fabulous.

Mandryka

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/86/000171168.pdf

For violin, cello and double bass. Very sweet, delicate, expressive, noble and refined, easy to listen to and enjoy.

Any thoughts about the origin of the painting on the cover?

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on June 28, 2024, 01:22:00 AM

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/88/000170888.pdf

I think the first track is fabulous.

I like Ensemble Celadon quite a lot; their choice of repertory is very much to my taste.

Mandryka

Quote from: San Antone on June 28, 2024, 02:24:16 AMI like Ensemble Celadon quite a lot; their choice of repertory is very much to my taste.

Yes, though in the past I've not really enjoyed Paulin Bündgen's voice -- however this time I had no problems.

Todd

AI meets studio head shot.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on June 28, 2024, 01:31:20 AM

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/86/000171168.pdf

For violin, cello and double bass. Very sweet, delicate, expressive, noble and refined, easy to listen to and enjoy.

Any thoughts about the origin of the painting on the cover?

Yes, I like the art. Btw, your mssg box is full.

https://josefkoestlbacher.com/works/#jp-carousel-670

Mandryka

Atriod