New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

I'm looking forward to Sarkozy's (pardon me, Sarkozky with an advancing hair-line) take on Beethoven.

Regards,
Navneeth

Brian

This should be great. Reissue of the Golden Spinning Wheel (originally paired with the Sixth Symphony) and all-new recordings of the other three.

Lethevich

That Golden Spinning Wheel was an extremely good performance - even Kubelik doesn't beat it. It should be an amazing release, although the greedy side of me hopes this set includes the Hero's Song - it is technically part of the set, and it could do with a great performance to raise it from the mediocrity it perhaps deserves... Also, without that it's a very underfilled 2 CD set if it overruns a first disc
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Brian

Quote from: Lethe on January 27, 2010, 03:39:27 PM
That Golden Spinning Wheel was an extremely good performance - even Kubelik doesn't beat it. It should be an amazing release, although the greedy side of me hopes this set includes the Hero's Song - it is technically part of the set, and it could do with a great performance to raise it from the mediocrity it perhaps deserves... Also, without that it's a very underfilled 2 CD set if it overruns a first disc

1CD

I'd love to have a Mackerras CD with the Hero's Song, Czech Suite, and a few overtures (the Hussite, Othello, Vanda, Rusalka...)

DarkAngel

Very soon we will hear Andreas Staier take on Bach's Goldberg Variations out Feb 2010, includes a 25 minute bonus DVD which I love to have for valuable background info. I am very hopeful this will directly challenge the very top rank harpsicord versions, using an Anthony Sidey replica Hass harpsicord.......it will not be a safe old school traditional performance (I predict)

I expect similar style as his recent Hamburg 1734 CD where he plays other German composers of same time period as JS Bach, also uses same German Hass harpsicord.....also we have some great previous Bach material in small boxset.

Brian

Brilliant's new Historic Russian Archives box contains a recording of Alexander Gauk leading the USSR State Symphony in a performance of Walter Piston's "Gettysburg" Symphony. That has to be the weirdest thing I've ever heard!

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: DarkAngel on January 28, 2010, 04:44:22 AM

Very soon we will hear Andreas Staier take on Bach's Goldberg Variations out Feb 2010, includes a 25 minute bonus DVD which I love to have for valuable background info. I am very hopeful this will directly challenge the very top rank harpsicord versions, using an Anthony Sidey replica Hass harpsicord.......it will not be a safe old school traditional performance (I predict)

I'm curious DA: What names do you have in mind as representative of that "safe old school traditional performance"?

Lethevich

It may require some necromancy, but I still want it :'(
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

premont

Quote from: DarkAngel on January 28, 2010, 04:44:22 AM
... a safe old school traditional performance (I predict)

I very much second Antoine´s quest above for some elaboration of this concept.
Whom are you thinking of?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

vandermolen

Am looking forward to Copland's complete score for 'Of Mice and Men' (Naxos) and Vaughan Williams 'Dona Nobis Pacem'/'Sancta Civitas' (also Naxos - a great coupling of his finest, IMHO, choral works).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

George

I have heard that Decca will be releasing a box of Radu Lupu's solo recordings on April 12:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4782340

I am sure to pick that one up. I have his Brahms set and it's outstanding.  $:)

Opus106

Quote from: George on March 09, 2010, 05:06:10 PM
I have heard that Decca will be releasing a box of Radu Lupu's solo recordings on April 12:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4782340

I am sure to pick that one up. I have his Brahms set and it's outstanding.  $:)

I have none of those recordings, but the Schubert and Brahms have been on my wish-list for a long time. Thanks for the heads-up, George. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

George

Quote from: Opus106 on March 09, 2010, 07:55:38 PM
I have none of those recordings, but the Schubert and Brahms have been on my wish-list for a long time. Thanks for the heads-up, George. :)

No problem. Hopefully it will be widely available and a nice cheap price.

techniquest

A good few years ago it was suggested that Naxos would be releasing the 3 Khachaturian symphonies, but they never appeared. I still look forward to the day when this might happen.
I'm also looking forward to the raft of new Mahler recordings which should happen over these two anniversary years. :)

The new erato

Quote from: techniquest on March 14, 2010, 07:15:02 AM

I'm also looking forward to the raft of new Mahler recordings which should happen over these two anniversary years. :)
Really? I'm rather fearing the flood of superfluous issues displacing worthier projects of music in need of recording the coming years. Which Mahler Symphonies do you lack satisfactory recordings of?

techniquest

QuoteReally? I'm rather fearing the flood of superfluous issues displacing worthier projects of music in need of recording the coming years. Which Mahler Symphonies do you lack satisfactory recordings of?
OK, so you don't like Mahler. No need to be quite so pompous though, is there? Let's hope that your worthier projects (whatever they may be) get recorded too. :)

The new erato

Quote from: techniquest on March 14, 2010, 10:44:41 AM
OK, so you don't like Mahler. No need to be quite so pompous though, is there? Let's hope that your worthier projects (whatever they may be) get recorded too. :)
Quite the contrary. I just cannot see the need for the industry to concentrate their efforts on an area of repertoire that is already so excessively covered. I would much rather see (eg) a major orchestra record the Hans Rott symphony than another Mahler work and cannot see the excitement in the possibility of adding another cycle (or symphony) to the already well filled shelves!

George

Quote from: Opus106 on March 09, 2010, 07:55:38 PM

It's now available for pre-order at MDT at a very nice price: http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/4782340.htm

Opus106

Quote from: George on March 14, 2010, 08:45:20 PM
It's now available for pre-order at MDT at a very nice price: http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/4782340.htm

Yes, checked that yesterday. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

George

Quote from: Opus106 on March 14, 2010, 08:51:10 PM
Yes, checked that yesterday. :)

I just pre-ordered it.  0:)