New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian, akebergv (+ 1 Hidden) and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

The new erato

Interesting information here:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/inthestudio

In Particular: "Australian Eloquence - Forthcoming releases for 2010-11

Rare L'Oiseau-Lyre recordings both old and new – The Melos Ensemble of London's complete Decca recordings; Raymond Leppard's recording of French Baroque music; and several from Anthony Rooley and The Consort of Music, including two of the most important anthologies of early music to be published: Musick of Sundrie Kindes and Le Chansonnier Condiforme."

also: "Elisabeth Söderström (all the Tchaikovsky recordings with Ashkenazy), Galina Vishnevskaya (Russian songs, including a previously unissued Decca LP of Tchaikovsky songs with Rostropovich), the complete Decca recitals of Sylvia Sass (two LPs of opera arias and a disc of Bartók and Liszt songs with András Schiff),"

And Decca had to lease their tapes to Australia to get this done! How the mighty have indeed fallen!

Also Scarlatti's San Filippo Neri from Brilliant, in an anniversary year where Scarlatti seems all neglected while "the majors" and everybody lse does endless rehashing of older Mahler and Chopin stuff. Hats off to to Brilliant, and lets hope for more Scarlatti!

Que

Thanks for posting! :)

Count me in for the Tchaikovsky songs with Söderström. The previous issue on 2 CD's did not cover all the songs that were originally issued on LP. I wonder what they will do this time...And of course no texts... ::) But I'll welcome it anyway. 8)

Q

Brian

A few months ago I PM'd Harry not-so-subtly hinting to him that if Brilliant released sets of the Complete Works of Dvorak and Ravel, I'd buy 'em. :) I'd like to hear Ravel's second work, for piano, Variations on a Theme of Grieg (Aase's Death).

Brian

You can't tell from the poorly designed cover, but this CD contains one piece I'm not too interested in - the Rite of Spring - and one that I am very much interested in - Revueltas' La noche de los Mayas.

Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela
Gustavo Dudamel

Brian

Antoni Wit and the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra have recorded Janacek's Glagolitic Mass and Sinfonietta for release next year on Naxos. My own excitement should spill over to Sergeant Rock, too, since Wit's love of moderate, steady tempos bodes well for the Sinfonietta's fanfares...  ;)

Franco

Quote from: Brian on March 20, 2010, 08:37:46 AM
A few months ago I PM'd Harry not-so-subtly hinting to him that if Brilliant released sets of the Complete Works of Dvorak and Ravel, I'd buy 'em. :) I'd like to hear Ravel's second work, for piano, Variations on a Theme of Grieg (Aase's Death).

Does Harry have something to do with what Brilliant releases?  I had no idea.

not edward

Oddly enough, the two releases I'm most waiting for at present are on Naxos: Gisele Ben-Dor conducting Ginastera's Popol Vuh (not out here till the end of the month), and then Schmidt's 3rd a month later.

Gerhaher in Das Knaben Wunderhorn and Aimard's Ravel concerti both sound interesting, though.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

kishnevi

Quote from: edward on June 09, 2010, 01:14:40 PM
Oddly enough, the two releases I'm most waiting for at present are on Naxos: Gisele Ben-Dor conducting Ginastera's Popol Vuh (not out here till the end of the month), and then Schmidt's 3rd a month later.

Gerhaher in Das Knaben Wunderhorn and Aimard's Ravel concerti both sound interesting, though.

Gerhaher has recorded several of the Wunderhorn songs, as well as the Wayfarer, Kindertotenlieder and Ruckert cycles, in their piano incarnations (and Schoenberg's chamber ensemble arrangement of the Wayfarer songs), spread out  over 2 CDs, one issued by RCA last year, the other now found on Arte Nova (ie, RCA's budget reissue label), if you want a preview of the orchestral versions.

not edward

Quote from: kishnevi on June 09, 2010, 06:29:29 PM
the other now found on Arte Nova (ie, RCA's budget reissue label)
Yes, that's one of the reasons I'm interested. :)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

bhodges

Quote from: toucan on May 08, 2010, 06:57:55 AM
Scheduled for release in September (why must they have us wait so long?):

Now that looks absolutely fascinating.  I had no idea Boulez would even consider Szymanowski.

I just found out that Marc-André Hamelin is finally releasing all of his études, also in September.  The ones I've heard have been marvelous, many spiked with humor.

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67789

--Bruce

Opus106

Quote from: bhodges on June 10, 2010, 12:29:32 PM
Now that looks absolutely fascinating.  I had no idea Boulez would even consider Szymanowski.

I wonder if it's from a concert. I've seen intert00b-checks of the violinist-orchestra-conductor trio performing the concerto. Or perhaps this is like the M2 recording.
Regards,
Navneeth

bhodges

Just checked DG's site, and they were apparently both made from live recordings in Vienna: the Violin Concerto in June 2009, and the Symphony in March 2010.  Not sure I'm crazy about the marketing, though: it's a 2-CD set, but the music is only 48 minutes, and the second disc is 45 minutes, but it's the same 15-minute interview--in English, French and German. 

--Bruce

Opus106

Quote from: bhodges on June 10, 2010, 12:43:09 PM
Just checked DG's site, and they were apparently both made from live recordings in Vienna: the Violin Concerto in June 2009, and the Symphony in March 2010.  Not sure I'm crazy about the marketing, though: it's a 2-CD set, but the music is only 48 minutes, and the second disc is 45 minutes, but it's the same 15-minute interview--in English, French and German. 

--Bruce

What were they thinking!?
Regards,
Navneeth

bhodges

Quote from: Opus106 on June 10, 2010, 12:48:19 PM
What were they thinking!?

"Let's appear to be giving the consumer a good deal, when in reality we're not."  ;D

--Bruce

bhodges

Or yes, perhaps that was it.  ;D

--Bruce

George

greg

Quote from: erato on March 14, 2010, 10:51:57 AM
Quite the contrary. I just cannot see the need for the industry to concentrate their efforts on an area of repertoire that is already so excessively covered. I would much rather see (eg) a major orchestra record the Hans Rott symphony than another Mahler work and cannot see the excitement in the possibility of adding another cycle (or symphony) to the already well filled shelves!
Even I agree with this. I bet, in the end, the reason for this is that it's all about about the money.  :(
Mahler is already well enough recorded.

Brian

Quote from: Greg on June 10, 2010, 02:25:47 PM
Even I agree with this. I bet, in the end, the reason for this is that it's all about about the money.  :(

Hey, if the Chicago Symphony recorded an Atterberg cycle, I would buy multiple copies.