New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 26, 2011, 05:56:48 AM
John, I don't think this is a fair statement.  I'm just being honest with you here. 

I can understand and see that Bach, Mendelssohn and Beethoven are an uninteresting path for you and other listeners too, but that is certainly not the case for many other listeners of classical music.

Ray, it's no problem that you disagree with me. We have to disagree on something once in awhile, right? ;) But seriously, as I followed Chailly's career, I've noticed he's not performing much Modern repertoire with the Leipzig like he has with the RCO. I understand the tradition of the Leipzig, but with somebody like Chailly I was expecting more variety in his recordings.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 26, 2011, 07:58:12 AMI've noticed he's not performing much Modern repertoire with the Leipzig like he has with the RCO. I understand the tradition of the Leipzig, but with somebody like Chailly I was expected more variety in his recordings.

Opus106's link discusses this - the Leipzig orchestra's reputation as the sort of guiding spirit of German romanticism, from the premieres of three Schumann symphonies and the directorship of Mendelssohn to the present. His contract in Leipzig runs through 2015...

madaboutmahler

Particularly looking forward to these new recordings by some of my favourite conductors of the younger generation!

[asin]B005KNOE3G[/asin]

[asin]B005HO1WC4[/asin]

Daniel
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 26, 2011, 08:33:40 AM[asin]B005KNOE3G[/asin]

I'll looking forward to this one as well, Daniel. Should be good.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 26, 2011, 09:31:19 AM
I'll looking forward to this one as well, Daniel. Should be good.

Yes, certainly! I have been looking forward to this for a very long time after really admiring the excellence of Petrenko's other Shostakovich recordings, his recording of no.10 remains my favourite! :)

Daniel
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 26, 2011, 09:35:47 AM
Yes, certainly! I have been looking forward to this for a very long time after really admiring the excellence of Petrenko's other Shostakovich recordings, his recording of no.10 remains my favourite! :)

Daniel

His performance of Symphony No. 10 is excellent. Our fellow GMGer, Brian, did a side-by-side comparison of various performances of the 10th and I think he said Petrenko's was the best he had heard.

DavidW

I noticed that the mp3 download is already out.  I'll have to buy it just to say firsties! :D  Nah seriously isn't this conductor awesome?  I need grab up all of his Shosty, Rach and Tchaikovsky.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on September 26, 2011, 09:47:06 AM
I noticed that the mp3 download is already out.  I'll have to buy it just to say firsties! :D  Nah seriously isn't this conductor awesome?  I need grab up all of his Shosty, Rach and Tchaikovsky.

Petrenko is a very gifted conductor. All of the recordings I've heard so far have been uniformly excellent. His Rachmaninov was really something else. Man, he did he a great job.

madaboutmahler

He certainly is!!! And he really is bringing out the best from the RLPO, what thrilling performances they give together! I still have some of his Rachmaninov to grab! I really hope he records some Prokofiev some day, it seems like an obvious move after Shostakovich but I am sure it would be so excellent! :)

Daniel

— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

I personally prefer Ashkenazy in Rach's music, but I admit Petrenko is really outstanding in Shostakovich, superb!!  :D

Ilaria
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 26, 2011, 10:50:32 AM
I personally prefer Ashkenazy in Rach's music, but I admit Petrenko is really outstanding in Shostakovich, superb!!  :D

Ilaria

Yes, I would probably agree that Ashkenazy is the absolute best for Rach! Such great performances both as pianist and conductor!

Daniel
— Ludwig van Beethoven

The new erato

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 26, 2011, 05:56:48 AM
John, I don't think this is a fair statement.  I'm just being honest with you here. 

I can understand and see that Bach, Mendelssohn and Beethoven are an uninteresting path for you and other listeners too, but that is certainly not the case for many other listeners of classical music.
You mentioned two of my three favorite composers there, yet I still think that any new Beethoven cycle brings a more than 99% chance of saying nothing more than already has been well documented countless times......and I can easily think of other music more in need of the attention.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 26, 2011, 10:50:32 AM

Ilaria

Well Ashkenazy performing/conducting Rachmaninov is like the gold standard which all others are measured against. You can't listen to Rachmaninov without having at least heard one of Ashkenazy's recordings.

Renfield

Am I the only one who's not enthused by Vasily Petrenko, then? I mean, I like his work, but it doesn't exactly bowl me over.

(What I've heard at least - the Manfred and IIRC the Shostakovich 5th & 9th.)

It may be my inherent skepticism speaking, but I just don't expect a guy like Petrenko to suddenly knock the Mravinskys, Kondrashins, Svetlanovs and Rhozdestvensky's of this world out of the ring, for this kind of music. And I've heard nothing to suggest otherwise :(

Which brings me to something else... Ashkenazy in Rachmaninov? Yeah, I guess. But really guys, no Svetlanov? No Pletnev? :o

Brian

Quote from: Renfield on September 26, 2011, 01:47:03 PM

The Shostakovich 5th is the only time I've been actively disappointed by him and his band. Try the Avie CD of Rach's Symphonic Dances and the Shosty 8 or 10. :) During a month-long comparathon listening session in 2010 I did, as MI says, rank Petrenko's Shosty 10 alongside Jansons and Sanderling as my top picks and ahead of (in no order) Kitajenko, Barshai, Karajan ("Gold"), Skrowaczewski, Haitink, and Wigglesworth.

Oh yeah, and: Svetlanov!!!!! Also Rozh/LSO for Rach 2, what a great one that is. :)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Renfield on September 26, 2011, 01:47:03 PM
Am I the only one who's not enthused by Vasily Petrenko, then? I mean, I like his work, but it doesn't exactly bowl me over.

It may be my inherent skepticism speaking, but I just don't expect a guy like Petrenko to suddenly knock the Mravinskys, Kondrashins, Svetlanovs and Rhozdestvensky's of this world out of the ring, for this kind of music. And I've heard nothing to suggest otherwise :(

Which brings me to something else... Ashkenazy in Rachmaninov? Yeah, I guess. But really guys, no Svetlanov? No Pletnev? :o

Yes, I don't think his recording of Shostakovich 5 is one of his best... it is still excellent though. You really need to listen to his recordings of Shostakovich 1 and 10.

Svetlanov and Pletnev are amazing in Rachmaninov as well. Ashkenazy is my favourite for this composer though!

Daniel
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Renfield

Oh, fine! I'll get that 10th. If I'm not impressed, you two owe me five quid. >:D

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Renfield on September 27, 2011, 09:07:07 AM
Oh, fine! I'll get that 10th. If I'm not impressed, you two owe me five quid. >:D

:)

If you are impressed, you owe us five quid for persuading you to buy it! ;)

Trust me, you will be very impressed! :)

Daniel
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Renfield

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 27, 2011, 09:30:16 AM
:)

If you are impressed, you owe us five quid for persuading you to buy it! ;)

Trust me, you will be very impressed! :)

Daniel

Sadly, I already 'donated' that five quid in order to facilitate the purchase. ;)

But I am nonetheless looking forward to hearing this.

Brian

Quote from: Renfield on September 27, 2011, 09:07:07 AM

Two and a half each, actually.  ;)