New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camphy and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Brian

Quote from: Brian on September 27, 2011, 10:24:11 AM
Two and a half each, actually.  ;)

I've just listened again, and I'd say the salient qualities which make this recording one of my top three choices are (1) the superior sound quality, the clearest DSCH 10 I have; (2) the violin portamentos in mvt. ii; (3) the rather spastic, paranoid clarinet playing at the beginning of mvt. iii; and (4) the amazing clarity of the final coda, especially that savagely celebratory DSCH timpani, the signatory pitches ringing brilliantly clear.

:)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Brian on September 27, 2011, 11:22:06 AM
I've just listened again, and I'd say the salient qualities which make this recording one of my top three choices are (1) the superior sound quality, the clearest DSCH 10 I have; (2) the violin portamentos in mvt. ii; (3) the rather spastic, paranoid clarinet playing at the beginning of mvt. iii; and (4) the amazing clarity of the final coda, especially that savagely celebratory DSCH timpani, the signatory pitches ringing brilliantly clear.

I completely agree with these comments. I also think that this is the most thrilling performance available, what exciting climaxes!
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Renfield

You guys are tempting me to compare versions when it gets here.

And what tempts me even more about doing it is that I have never conducted a proper inventory of my Shostakovich 10ths. I know I've got around 15-20 versions lying around, each of which I've listened to over the years (and have clear favourites among)...

But that's it. :P

So maybe it'll be quite instructive to go on a Shostakovich 10 binge, at some point in the near future.

Edit: Obviously, I can just look them up on iTunes and have the inventory ready (sans the Rostropovich one, that got left behind after a move). What I mean is a mental inventory, a recount, a refreshment of my memory. That sort of thing.

Brian

I just listened to Yevgeny Sudbin's Chopin recital.

Fantaisie in F minor
Ballades Nos 3 and 4
Several mazurkas and nocturnes
"À la minute" by Yevgeny Sudbin, virtuoso pastiche on the "Minute Waltz"

The recital is overwhelmingly dark - there are only three works in major keys - and although there is a tendency to rush at times I found this excellent, spontaneous, deeply felt but not overwrought Chopin playing. The witty encore makes up for much of the darkness.

CD release this month from BIS.

-

November on Naxos

Three major artists make their Naxos debuts: Jean-Yves Thibaudet in Debussy's 'Fantaisie,' Paul Meyer in the 'Premiere rapsodie,' and Aldo Ciccolini in the piano quintet of his early teacher, Achille Longo.

The Warsaw Philharmonic and Antoni Wit join choral forces for the Glagolitic Mass and throw in Janacek's Sinfonietta as well. CD and Blu-Ray release.

The complete Schubert lieder on 38 CDs. There is a German box set and a box in both English and German.

Also out: Hans Graf's Das Lied von der Erde with the Houston Symphony and Stenhammar's Piano Concertos.

madaboutmahler

Was extremely excited to see this new recording planned for release this month!

[asin]B005NZC1YK[/asin]

My favourite piece ever (along with Mahler 9), one of my favourite living conductors, and one of my favourite orchestras! :)

Definitely added to the basket!

— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 05, 2011, 09:26:42 AM
Was extremely excited to see this new recording planned for release this month!

[asin]B005NZC1YK[/asin]

Wow, did Salonen record Mahler No.6? Absolutely amazing!! I'm looking forward to listening to it!! :D

Ilaria
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 05, 2011, 09:45:11 AM
Wow, did Salonen record Mahler No.6? Absolutely amazing!! I'm looking forward to listening to it!! :D

Ilaria

It appears so! I only found out today and was instantly very excited!
He has also made a recent recording of no.9 which I am still yet to hear, I will have to purchase that soon! :)

Hope you are well Ilaria! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Holden

I'm really looking forward to hearing this

Recorded a few months after his Chopin comp win and when he was only 18 years old. Apparently it is totally different from the recording he made of the same works for DG.

CHOPIN Etudes Opp. 10 & 25

Maurizio Pollini

This outstanding recording of the complete Chopin Études by Maurizio Pollini is being published for the first time by Testament.

It was made by EMI at Abbey Road a few months after Pollini had won the Chopin Competition in Warsaw. Pollini had already recorded for EMI the Chopin Piano Concerto No.1 in E minor with the Phiharmonia Orchestra conducted by Paul Kletzki, a recording universally acclaimed as a classic.

Peter Andry, who produced the recording of the Études, later recalled Pollini's play-through of the first set as a spine-tingling experience: "This was pianism of the very finest kind" he said. "Rarely had I heard such perfection. He seemed to play these demanding works effortlessly. I remember the occasion even now as one of my greatest musical experiences."

The recording reproduces with striking immediacy and clarity a performance that captures the 18-year-old pianist's sensitive and sympathetic emotional response to these works. It is very different to the large-scale and grandiose DG recording made a decade or so later by Pollini as a more mature artist in a venue with a more reverberant acoustic.

Critics and pianists who have already heard this recording by the young Pollini have all been astonished by its musicality and spontaneity, qualitities that go right to the heart of Chopin's genius in writing these challenging but musically inspired compositions. It is a unique addition to Pollini's extensive recorded catalogue and shows this great artist at the very beginning of his professional career as a musician of the highest calibre.

Testament SBT1473
Cheers

Holden

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 05, 2011, 11:04:52 AM
It appears so! I only found out today and was instantly very excited!
He has also made a recent recording of no.9 which I am still yet to hear, I will have to purchase that soon! :)

Hope you are well Ilaria! :)

Of course, I can imagine; I listened to the Mahler No.9 you mentioned, it's really gorgeous, a magnificent recording! Glad to hear you want to purchase it, the Salonen is certainly worth listening  :)
I'm looking forward to finding No.6 by Salonen as well!

I'm quite fine, thanks Daniel; hope you're well too! ;)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 05, 2011, 12:52:10 PM
Of course, I can imagine; I listened to the Mahler No.9 you mentioned, it's really gorgeous, a magnificent recording! Glad to hear you want to purchase it, the Salonen is certainly worth listening  :)
I'm looking forward to finding No.6 by Salonen as well!

I'm quite fine, thanks Daniel; hope you're well too! ;)

Ah, well with your recommmendation, I shall definitely purchase the Salonen Mahler 9. :) I might start begging my father to take me to see Salonen conduct Mahler 2 live with the Philharmonia next year! ;) That would be so amazing!
So, does the Salonen compare with the classic Karajan recording? ;)

Glad to hear you are well Ilaria! I feel wonderful at the moment, Mhairi has improved my life a lot!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 06, 2011, 10:22:14 AM
Ah, well with your recommmendation, I shall definitely purchase the Salonen Mahler 9. :) I might start begging my father to take me to see Salonen conduct Mahler 2 live with the Philharmonia next year! ;) That would be so amazing!
So, does the Salonen compare with the classic Karajan recording? ;)

Glad to hear you are well Ilaria! I feel wonderful at the moment, Mhairi has improved my life a lot!

Excellent choice, his Mahler No.9 is certainly beautiful  :) Wow, that's absolutely great!! Of course it would be amazing to see Salonen conducting Mahler No.2, I'm so jealous!!
I'm going to see a Salonen's concert next year too, the program includes Bartok's The Miraculous Mandarin op. 19 suite, Debussy's Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune and Scriabin's Le poème de l'extase op. 54.

Hahaha, yes, why not, the Salonen could certainly compare with the Karajan  ;)

I'm pleased to hear you're so fine, I wish both you and Mhairi all the best  :)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 06, 2011, 10:54:31 AM
Excellent choice, his Mahler No.9 is certainly beautiful  :) Wow, that's absolutely great!! Of course it would be amazing to see Salonen conducting Mahler No.2, I'm so jealous!!
I'm going to see a Salonen's concert next year too, the program includes Bartok's The Miraculous Mandarin op. 19 suite, Debussy's Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune and Scriabin's Le poème de l'extase op. 54.

Hahaha, yes, why not, the Salonen could certainly compare with the Karajan  ;)

I'm pleased to hear you're so fine, I wish both you and Mhairi all the best  :)

Great! :) I am also thinking of buying the recording Jonathan Nott made, do you know this one?
That Salonen concert sounds amazing! Which orchestra?

Wow, it certainly must be very good!

Thank you Ilaria! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Que

CD Description

These albums were recorded in 1976 and 1992 (the latter right after the tremendous success of the movie Tous les Matins du Monde). Nevertheless*, they are astonishingly consistent in their interpretative flair and enable us to discover 10 of the 67 'Concerts' composed by Mr. de Sainte Colombe. Each `Concert´ consists in an average of 4 pieces and last around 10 minutes. The most famous is the Concert Le Tombeau des Regrets and especially Les Pleurs (The Tears), a masterpiece of emotion in which every note is essential. Jordi Savall plays alongside with Wieland Kuijken, another great name of Baroque music and viola.

* ??? Something artistically disqualifying about that? ::) Anyway, we now know these recordings were originally issued on Astrée (Naïve).

Q

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on October 07, 2011, 11:53:48 PM

CD Description

These albums were recorded in 1976 and 1992 (the latter right after the tremendous success of the movie Tous les Matins du Monde). Nevertheless*, they are astonishingly consistent in their interpretative flair and enable us to discover 10 of the 67 'Concerts' composed by Mr. de Sainte Colombe. Each `Concert´ consists in an average of 4 pieces and last around 10 minutes. The most famous is the Concert Le Tombeau des Regrets and especially Les Pleurs (The Tears), a masterpiece of emotion in which every note is essential. Jordi Savall plays alongside with Wieland Kuijken, another great name of Baroque music and viola.

* ??? Something artistically disqualifying about that? ::) Anyway, we now know these recordings were originally issued on Astrée (Naïve).

Q

It's excellent to see these two formidable discs re-released. The first volume has been hard to find for a long time and usually Savall's label does great remasterings. BTW, the label ATMA offers the complete collection of works for two violas performed by the duo the Voix Humaines which has frequently played with Wieland Kuijken too.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 07, 2011, 09:22:11 AM
Great! :) I am also thinking of buying the recording Jonathan Nott made, do you know this one?
That Salonen concert sounds amazing! Which orchestra?

I'm afraid I've never heard about a Nott's recording for Mahler; tell me what it is like when you buy it, I'm rather curious  :)
The orchestra is the Filarmonica della Scala.

petrarch

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 08, 2011, 12:16:06 AM
It's excellent to see these two formidable discs re-released. The first volume has been hard to find for a long time and usually Savall's label does great remasterings.

Glad this is finally out. I do have the original two volumes, but will be getting this one precisely for the outstanding Alia Vox remasterings, for the extensive notes, and for the SACD sound.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 08, 2011, 01:26:18 AM
I'm afraid I've never heard about a Nott's recording for Mahler; tell me what it is like when you buy it, I'm rather curious  :)
The orchestra is the Filarmonica della Scala.

Ok, no problem! :) It appears to be highly recommended in whichever review I look at, so it must be good!

Excellent! Enjoy! :)

— Ludwig van Beethoven

Antoine Marchand

JS Bach: Trauer-Music. Music to Mourn Prince Leopold

I. Burial Service - At the Arrival of the Coffin

1-5. Laß, Leopold, Dich nicht begraben / Wird auch gleich nach tausend Zähren / Und, Herr, das ist die Specerey / Geh, Leopold, zu Deiner Ruh

II. Memorial Service - Following the Arrival of the Principal Mourners

6-12. Klagt, Kinder / O Land! Bestürtztes Land! / Weh und Ach / Wie, wenn der Blitze Grausamkeit / Zage nur, du treues Land / Ach ja! Dein Scheiden geht uns nah / Komm wieder, Theurer Fürsten-Geist

III. Following the Sermon

13-19. Wie haben einen Gott, der da hilfft / Betrübter Anblick, voll Erschrecken / Erhalte mich Gott / Jedoch der schwache Mensche zittert nur / Mit Freuden sey die Welt verlassen / Wohl also Dir, Du aller Fürsten Zier / Wie haben einen Gott, der da hilfft

IV. Following the Curriculum Vitæ and the Prayers

20-24. Bleibet nun in eurer Ruh / Und Du betrübtes Fürsten-Hauß / Hemme Dein gequältes Kräncken / Nun scheiden wir, Hochseelger Leopold, von Dir / Die Augen sehn nach Deiner Leiche

Emily Van Evera (soprano), Clare Wilkinson (mezzo), Charles Daniels (tenor) & Tom Meglioranza (baritone)

Taverner Consort and Players, Andrew Parrott

QuoteBach, Trauer Music – Parrott / Tavener Consort & Players (Avie)
Reviewed by Anna Picard
Sunday, 9 October 2011

If the title provokes a double-take, the content will provoke many more.

This is not the Trauer Ode but a reconstruction of the lost Trauer Music that was prepared for the Burial and Memorial Services of Prince Leopold in 1728. Using Picander's surviving libretto, Andrew Parrott has identified sympathetic material from the St Matthew Passion and the Trauer Ode to form four cantatas of mourning. The blend of familiar music and unfamiliar poetry is fascinating.

--The Independent

Opus106

Re: Trauer Music, why would the title provoke a double-take? ???
Regards,
Navneeth

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Opus106 on October 10, 2011, 06:39:02 AM
Re: Trauer Music, why would the title provoke a double-take? ???

Probably she was expecting -as usual- to find the Trauer Ode or the Actus Tragicus and not a reconstruction by Parrott.  :)