New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Supraphon is re-issuing the Paul Kletzki / Czech Philharmonic Orchestra Beethoven Symphony Set...

SUPRAPHON BG 4051

Beethoven
Symphonies 1-9
Paul Kletzki, Czech Philharmonic Orchestra

Opus106

Quote from: jlaurson on October 11, 2011, 08:22:49 AM
Supraphon is re-issuing the Paul Kletzki / Czech Philharmonic Orchestra Beethoven Symphony Set...

SUPRAPHON BG 4051

It's been out for months!
Regards,
Navneeth

Brian

Update: Artists making their Naxos debuts in November: Jean-Yves Thibaudet (Debussy), Paul Meyer (Debussy), Aldo Ciccolini (Achille Longo), Eliahu Inbal (Thierry Lancino).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on October 11, 2011, 08:24:00 PM
Update: Artists making their Naxos debuts in November: Jean-Yves Thibaudet (Debussy), Paul Meyer (Debussy), Aldo Ciccolini (Achille Longo), Eliahu Inbal (Thierry Lancino).

Naxos just keeps bigger and bigger...

Antoine Marchand

.[asin]B005LL4U5O[/asin]

8)

Daverz

Quote from: Opus106 on October 11, 2011, 08:34:23 AM
It's been out for months!

Hey, for some of us new means "this millennium".

Interestingly, this is Naxos's second recording of the Weinberg.  The first was with Ilya Grubert

Did their A&R man get confused by the Weinberg/Vainberg thing?

A nice development is the return of United Archives.

(From MDT).  I think I'll grab this before it disappears again.

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 11, 2011, 08:42:15 PM
Naxos just keeps bigger and bigger...
I think it's the other way round; the majors cannot sustain their business model and are getting smaller and smaller.

Brian

Quote from: Daverz on October 15, 2011, 10:31:44 PM
Interestingly, this is Naxos's second recording of the Weinberg.  The first was with Ilya Grubert

Actually the new Naxos CD is a world premiere recording of the 20-minute-long Concertino.

Mirror Image

Brian, what's going on with this Janacek/Wit recording Naxos? ??? I'm getting conflicting reports of it's release date. It's going to be released in the UK Oct. 31st, but I can't find a US release date for it.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 05, 2011, 09:26:42 AM
Was extremely excited to see this new recording planned for release this month!

[asin]B005NZC1YK[/asin]

My favourite piece ever (along with Mahler 9), one of my favourite living conductors, and one of my favourite orchestras! :)

Definitely added to the basket!

Not only do I have this Salonen Mahler 6 release to look forward to, but now also this new one from Antonio Pappano!
[asin]B005NO0EVI[/asin]
Very excited! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

jlaurson

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 05, 2011, 09:26:42 AM
Was extremely excited to see this new recording planned for release this month!

[asin]B005NZC1YK[/asin]

My favourite piece ever (along with Mahler 9), one of my favourite living conductors, and one of my favourite orchestras! :)

Definitely added to the basket!

A bit ho-humm, very notably live... and altogether a slight disappointment. (Partly because of high hopes. Then again, it's a grittier account than I 'feared' Salonen would deliver... so that's good.
And it's S-A, which is the 'proper' order of the inner movements. :-)

Shall give it another spin tonight, but would be surprised if this cracks into my Top 10 Mahler 6ths.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: jlaurson on October 21, 2011, 06:48:57 AM
A bit ho-humm, very notably live... and altogether a slight disappointment. (Partly because of high hopes. Then again, it's a grittier account than I 'feared' Salonen would deliver... so that's good.
And it's S-A, which is the 'proper' order of the inner movements. :-)

Shall give it another spin tonight, but would be surprised if this cracks into my Top 10 Mahler 6ths.

Oh dear, disapointed to hear this! Thank you for your opinion/warning! Yes, S-A is definitely the correct ordering of movements! :)
So which are your top 10 Mahler 6ths? My favourites are Solti, Bernstein (DG), Abbado etc...

— Ludwig van Beethoven

jlaurson

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 21, 2011, 07:55:48 AM
Oh dear, disapointed to hear this! Thank you for your opinion/warning! Yes, S-A is definitely the correct ordering of movements! :)
So which are your top 10 Mahler 6ths? My favourites are Solti, Bernstein (DG), Abbado etc...

Without revising much (or filtering out obscure ones, like the Duisburg performance):

"Rough"

Benjamin Zander, Philharmonia Orchestra, Telarc

Pierre Boulez, Wiener Philharmoniker, DG

Jonathan Darlington, Duisburger Philharmoinker, Acousence

John Barbirolli, New Philharmonia Orchestra, EMI

Mitropoulos, WDRSO, Greatest Conductors of the 20th Century / Urania

Michael Gielen, SWRSO, Hänssler

Christoph Eschenbach, Philadelphia Orchestra, Ondine

"Beauty"

Iván Fischer, Budapest Festival Orchestra, Channel Classics

Herbert von Karajan, Berliner Philharmoniker, DG

Simon Rattle, City of Birmingham Orchestra, EMI

Rafael Kubelik, BRSO, Audite

-

I shouldn't forget Solti, of all people, to whose Sixth Sarge has opened my ears and gotten me beyond my admitted anti-Solti bias in Mahler. 

I'm a little surprised to find Rattle in this list, but I was sober when I compiled it and deeply immersed, so it must be true. :-)

http://www.weta.org/oldfmblog/?p=1307

karlhenning

You see, catch people off guard and they're not really such Rattle-haytahs! ; )

madaboutmahler

Quote from: jlaurson on October 21, 2011, 08:02:53 AM
Without revising much (or filtering out obscure ones, like the Duisburg performance):

"Rough"

Benjamin Zander, Philharmonia Orchestra, Telarc

Pierre Boulez, Wiener Philharmoniker, DG

Jonathan Darlington, Duisburger Philharmoinker, Acousence

John Barbirolli, New Philharmonia Orchestra, EMI

Mitropoulos, WDRSO, Greatest Conductors of the 20th Century / Urania

Michael Gielen, SWRSO, Hänssler

Christoph Eschenbach, Philadelphia Orchestra, Ondine

"Beauty"

Iván Fischer, Budapest Festival Orchestra, Channel Classics

Herbert von Karajan, Berliner Philharmoniker, DG

Simon Rattle, City of Birmingham Orchestra, EMI

Rafael Kubelik, BRSO, Audite

-

I shouldn't forget Solti, of all people, to whose Sixth Sarge has opened my ears and gotten me beyond my admitted anti-Solti bias in Mahler. 

I'm a little surprised to find Rattle in this list, but I was sober when I compiled it and deeply immersed, so it must be true. :-)

http://www.weta.org/oldfmblog/?p=1307

Great choices - all the ones in the "beauty" choices would be in mine as well, plus the Barbirolli. No Bernstein for you?!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

jlaurson

Furtwangler Collection on Vinyl!

http://www.audite.de/en/news/251-vinyl_production_wilhelm_furtwaengler.html

QuoteWith the great demand for the LP version of our internationally successful Furtwängler 12 CD boxed set (aud. 21.403), audite now presents a selection of recordings in LP format for audiophile vinyl enthusiasts. Containing compositions by Beethoven, Bruckner, Schubert, Brahms and Wagner, the LP boxed set (comprising 14 LPs on 180g vinyl) presents principal works of the CD boxed set.

These RIAS recordings are documents of historical value: The majority of the concerts given by Wilhelm Furtwängler and the Berlin Philharmonic between 1947 and 1954 were recorded by the RIAS Berlin. The original tapes from the RIAS archives have been made available for the first time for this edition so these recordings also offer unsurpassed technical quality. The recordings document a major part of Furtwängler's late oeuvre as a conductor.

Release date in Germany is November 18.

madaboutmahler

Two nice looking Chandos releases ;)

[asin]B005Y1GTX2[/asin]

[asin]B005PZFDZC[/asin]
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lethevich

Glad to see that it's not just another recording of Svendsen's symphonies - they are quite well-represented in the catalogue. Beginning with their Halvorsen series, it looks as though Chandos are jumping from the Netherlands to Norway for inspiration :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 27, 2011, 05:09:44 AM
Two nice looking Chandos releases ;)

[asin]B005Y1GTX2[/asin]

[asin]B005PZFDZC[/asin]

The Svendsen looks beautiful, his orchestral works are really stunning; I might purchase it too  :)

One of the images is not visible, what is it?
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 27, 2011, 11:33:04 AM
The Svendsen looks beautiful, his orchestral works are really stunning; I might purchase it too  :)

One of the images is not visible, what is it?

Yes, I love many of Svendsen's orchestral works as well! :)

Sigh, this image posting system on GMG really needs to be sorted!  >:( It is the new recording from Noseda and the BBC Philharmonic of Rachmaninov's Choral Symphony etc. :)
Have a nice evening Ilaria!
— Ludwig van Beethoven