New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 27, 2011, 12:33:56 PM
Yes, I love many of Svendsen's orchestral works as well! :)

Sigh, this image posting system on GMG really needs to be sorted!  >:( It is the new recording from Noseda and the BBC Philharmonic of Rachmaninov's Choral Symphony etc. :)
Have a nice evening Ilaria!
This one?
[asin]B005PZFEXI[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

madaboutmahler

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 27, 2011, 01:08:54 PM
This one?
[asin]B005PZFEXI[/asin]

Yes, that's it! :) Thank you for reposting!
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Yes, I love many of Svendsen's orchestral works as well! :)

Sigh, this image posting system on GMG really needs to be sorted!  >:( It is the new recording from Noseda and the BBC Philharmonic of Rachmaninov's Choral Symphony etc. :)
Have a nice evening Ilaria!

Yes, it's rather annoying that many images can't be visible  :( Hmmm, I took a look at the pieces included, that recording seems to be excellent, I hope you'll enjoy it  :)
Have a nice evening as well Daniel!
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Opus106

Sigh, this image posting system on GMG really needs to be sorted!  >:(

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 27, 2011, 01:39:08 PM
Yes, it's rather annoying that many images can't be visible  :(

Don't use the MP3's ASIN -- it doesn't work; instead, use the physical CD's ID.
Regards,
Navneeth

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Opus106 on October 27, 2011, 10:35:59 PM
Don't use the MP3's ASIN -- it doesn't work; instead, use the physical CD's ID.

Ok, thank you for that information. Couldn't find the ASIN for the physical cd as only the MP3 is available on amazon at the moment I believe... Will bear that in mind for the future though, thank you!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Antoine Marchand

.[asin]B005IQXTVS[/asin]

Antoine Marchand

.[asin]B005Y11BKS[/asin]

The new erato

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 28, 2011, 04:29:04 AM
Ok, thank you for that information. Couldn't find the ASIN for the physical cd as only the MP3 is available on amazon at the moment I believe...
In which case use the image URL and the image tag!

Brian

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 20, 2011, 06:12:20 AM
.[asin]B005IQXTVS[/asin]

That's an exciting release, though the playing time might be pretty skimpy.

jlaurson

F. Liszt,
Piano Concertos & Totentanz
Denis Matsuev / RNO / Pletnev
RCA

Excited more because of Pletnev than Matsuev... but "excited" and Liszt-release in one sentence is an achievement any-which way it comes.

kishnevi

Quote from: Brian on November 20, 2011, 08:46:04 AM

93 minutes 42 seconds, to be precise.  I have three other recordings (Pinnock, Marriner, and Linde) and all run several minutes shorter;  the Linde in fact fits on a single CD.  I didn't check the timings in the Hanssler Bach box. 

I am listening to it now btw: good quality and quite recommendable for someone looking for a PI performance, though I'm not in a position to say if someone with several recordings of the Overtures needs to run out and get a copy.

Arkivmusic, btw, has it on sale at the moment for $17.99 US, as part of their sale on Harmonia Mundi, although I got mine from Prestoclassical while they had HM on sale.

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on November 20, 2011, 08:46:04 AM

What does that even mean, in an age where the arbitrary CD "length" is evaporating and the importance of the physical medium waning?
Would you be happy if they played it a lot slower? Would that be a better bang for you buck? After we first convert music-length into CD-units, is it notes-per-CD or minutes-per-CD that satisfy the consumer? Is it all made up for if/when the price is that of a single CD, anyway?

There were a few old cases of 'milking' the customer (DG Gold, notoriously, where 5 minutes on a second CD cost the additional price of an extra CD), but that's before your time, I think. I'm very curious that one of the younger GMG-people still has such old fashioned ideas about CD-length and 'skimpiness'.

The new erato

Is this topic now tagged; eg is that new?

And in a wold where CD prices is tumbling, the filling of dics is not the issue, but whatb you get for your money, either measured in minutes pr dollar or any other alternative quality measure one may want to use.

Opus106

Quote from: The new erato on November 21, 2011, 02:17:47 AM
And in a wold where CD prices is tumbling

Are they? Perhaps the prices of CDs more than a decade old are coming down in the form of re-releases and boxes, but newer releases don't quite cost the same; especially if it's a speciality label, the difference is quite a bit.
Regards,
Navneeth

The new erato

It seems to me they are, even pretty new releases can be found at midprice offers. HM has been consistently offered at midprice levels even for pretty new fullprice discs for those who know where to look.

Opus106

Quote from: The new erato on November 21, 2011, 06:53:07 AM
HM has been consistently offered at midprice levels even for pretty new fullprice discs for those who know where to look.

That indicates that the price drop is not quite widespread. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

The new erato

Of cours the companies don't give their money away to stupids.

Brian

Quote from: jlaurson on November 21, 2011, 01:08:21 AM
What does that even mean, in an age where the arbitrary CD "length" is evaporating and the importance of the physical medium waning?
Would you be happy if they played it a lot slower? Would that be a better bang for you buck? After we first convert music-length into CD-units, is it notes-per-CD or minutes-per-CD that satisfy the consumer? Is it all made up for if/when the price is that of a single CD, anyway?

There are about 60 minutes left over - it seems logical to me that something else would be on the CD too. Jeffrey reports it's being sold for roughly the price of one disc, so that is fair, but if I were paying the typical HM two disc price (about $32 I think) I would be uninterested except maybe in mp3s.

I may be young (and therefore, of course, extremely cool) but I am also underemployed and poor, and simply don't have the disposable income to spend on CDs right now. I've placed one order since April if memory serves. Speaking of things which were in that order...

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 20, 2011, 06:55:45 PM
I am listening to it now btw: good quality and quite recommendable for someone looking for a PI performance, though I'm not in a position to say if someone with several recordings of the Overtures needs to run out and get a copy.

I have Kuijken/Petite Bande, and although I'm a really big fan of the sound of the Freiburgers (that Mozart!), I'm not discontent with the Kuijken set at all...

madaboutmahler

Am looking forward to this:
[asin]B005SJIO92[/asin]
— Ludwig van Beethoven

The new erato

According to Alex ross:

"Good news from Other Minds: early next year they're reissuing Michael Tilson Thomas's survey of the works of Carl Ruggles, a classic two-LP set that never appeared on CD.... "