New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

And half the internet pirated it while they waited -_- I wonder how many will buy it again after that? I hope enough to justify the cost of the reissue.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

jlaurson

Lethevich

Quote from: jlaurson on December 05, 2011, 04:58:41 AM
w.h.y.?

;D I was tempted to ask. I can't recall anything enjoyable by Mehta in the past few decades. The Israel PO currently seems to be where good musicians go to die.

Still, he has life left in him to launch a comeback.

Karl Henning

And the chap's ID is irrationalaboutmahler, after all! : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

jlaurson

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevna Pettersson on December 05, 2011, 05:05:18 AM
;D I was tempted to ask. I can't recall anything enjoyable by Mehta in the past few decades. The Israel PO currently seems to be where good musicians go to die.

Still, he has life left in him to launch a comeback.

;)

I hear him often enough live. Still waiting for that comeback. Blandblandblandbland...

madaboutmahler

Quote from: The new erato on December 05, 2011, 05:03:36 AM
Probably because it is something by Mahler.

Precisely!  ;D

Quote from: jlaurson on December 05, 2011, 07:26:55 AM
;)

I hear him often enough live. Still waiting for that comeback. Blandblandblandbland...

Well, maybe this will be his comeback! I have enjoyed some of Mehta's more recent Mahler performances!

Quote from: karlhenning on December 05, 2011, 05:32:07 AM
And the chap's ID is irrationalaboutmahler, after all! : )

:)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brian

Looks like Vasily Petrenko really has signed with EMI.

Lethevich

Nice to see the RLPO on a "major" - although this is the nostalgic part of me. EMI goes for sub Naxos prices nowadays ;)

kishnevi

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevna Pettersson on December 10, 2011, 02:08:25 PM
Nice to see the RLPO on a "major" - although this is the nostalgic part of me. EMI goes for sub Naxos prices nowadays ;)

Not quite so in this neck of the woods.  But Naxos puts out far more new recordings than EMI seems to do (especially when you leave out Libera, etc.) so maybe we should call Naxos the "major" label.

BTW, will this have any impact on Petrenko's Shostakovich cycle?

Brian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 10, 2011, 04:44:14 PM
BTW, will this have any impact on Petrenko's Shostakovich cycle?

That's unclear. When I talked to a Naxos source about this in July after the Gothic Prom, he said that EMI wanted an exclusive recording contract but Petrenko still had to record a handful of the Shostakovich symphonies (if my memory's right, 4, 15, and one other remained) so the Naxos project was in some measure of jeopardy.

kishnevi

Quote from: Brian on December 10, 2011, 05:50:32 PM
That's unclear. When I talked to a Naxos source about this in July after the Gothic Prom, he said that EMI wanted an exclusive recording contract but Petrenko still had to record a handful of the Shostakovich symphonies (if my memory's right, 4, 15, and one other remained) so the Naxos project was in some measure of jeopardy.

Going by what I have--2, 4,7,8, and 13-15 have not yet been released, although I assume some of those might already have been recorded but still in the production stages.

BTW, I posted this in the Purchases Thread, but I suppose it really goes here

US release date will be May 2012 (according to AmazonUS)

Brian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 10, 2011, 06:02:56 PM
Going by what I have--2, 4,7,8, and 13-15 have not yet been released, although I assume some of those might already have been recorded but still in the production stages.

8 has been released. I'd heard at a RLPO concert in June that they were about to begin recording 2 and another choral symphony (must be 13); one of the people next to me in the stalls was a chorus member.

[asin]B003DQWPEM[/asin]

kishnevi

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on December 10, 2011, 02:05:15 PM
Looks like Vasily Petrenko really has signed with EMI.

This is disappointing to see. :( I hate EMI with a passion. It's such a shame Petrenko went with them. I think he would have been better served had he remained with Naxos. Hell, I'd even take him on Decca over EMI any day.

jlaurson

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 10, 2011, 09:02:50 PM
This is disappointing to see. :( I hate EMI with a passion. It's such a shame Petrenko went with them. I think he would have been better served had he remained with Naxos. Hell, I'd even take him on Decca over EMI any day.

On the other hand it's nice to see EMI sign young conductors (first YNS, now Petrenko III) that are actually the bees' knees and musical. Now they won't have to rely on Sir Simon to do all the heavy lifting and we can ignore that baffling contract they have with Pappano. And "better served" is a complex concept. No doubt Naxos was very good for Petrenko, but it's not the kind of contract that is particularly attractive ad infinitum for an artist with greater ambitions... It's a stepping stone.  I haven't been a fan of EMI for many years... but intelligent signing-policy is the surest way back into my heart. :-)

Drasko

jlaurson

mc ukrneal

Quote from: jlaurson on December 11, 2011, 01:40:40 AM
On the other hand it's nice to see EMI sign young conductors (first YNS, now Petrenko III) that are actually the bees' knees and musical. Now they won't have to rely on Sir Simon to do all the heavy lifting and we can ignore that baffling contract they have with Pappano. And "better served" is a complex concept. No doubt Naxos was very good for Petrenko, but it's not the kind of contract that is particularly attractive ad infinitum for an artist with greater ambitions... It's a stepping stone.  I haven't been a fan of EMI for many years... but intelligent signing-policy is the surest way back into my heart. :-)
Baffling in what sense? I know nothing about the contract, so just not sure I understand without the context.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Drasko

Quote from: jlaurson on December 11, 2011, 02:22:33 AM
No. Why? 3 non-HIP ingredients... = HIP ?  ???

For some reason I thought that Orchestra Mozart was Abbado's HIP project. Probably on account of repertoire: Mozart, Pergolesi, Bach, as I never heard any of their discs. My mistake.