New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 12, 2011, 08:12:12 AMwho had seemed to be their greatest artist.

Careful now, that's a very hard call to make about a label as huge as Naxos, especially with artists like Cho-Liang Lin, Marin Alsop, Leonard Slatkin, Konstantin Scherbakov, Tianwa Yang, the Kodaly Quartet, the Maggini Quartet, the Kungsbacka Trio, the Warsaw Philharmonic, and recently appearances by Paul Meyer and Jean-Yves Thibaudet...

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Brian on December 12, 2011, 03:04:04 PM
Careful now, that's a very hard call to make about a label as huge as Naxos, especially with artists like Cho-Liang Lin, Marin Alsop, Leonard Slatkin, Konstantin Scherbakov, Tianwa Yang, the Kodaly Quartet, the Maggini Quartet, the Kungsbacka Trio, the Warsaw Philharmonic, and recently appearances by Paul Meyer and Jean-Yves Thibaudet...

I'll change it to:

who had seemed to be one of their greatest artists.

:D
Maybe you agree though, that Petrenko must be at least in their top 3 most exciting artists?  ;D
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Opus106

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 13, 2011, 09:50:21 AM
Maybe you agree though, that Petrenko must be at least in their top 3 most exiting artists?  ;D

Corrected. 0:)
Regards,
Navneeth

kishnevi

Anyone know what's actually included in this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boulez-Conducts-Mahler-Pierre/dp/B004NO5HLG/ref=zg_bsnr_697386_4
(not a GMG link!)

As usual with Amazon, there's no track listing because it's not yet released, neither Presto nor MDT seem to list it yet, and the DG website is refusing to co-operate with me.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 15, 2011, 07:38:11 PM
Anyone know what's actually included in this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boulez-Conducts-Mahler-Pierre/dp/B004NO5HLG/ref=zg_bsnr_697386_4
(not a GMG link!)

As usual with Amazon, there's no track listing because it's not yet released, neither Presto nor MDT seem to list it yet, and the DG website is refusing to co-operate with me.

Just type in Mahler Boulez Deutsche Grammophon into the Amazon search engine under music. Boulez has done the lieders, the symphonies, the adagio from the 10th, and Das Lied von der Erde.

Opus106

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 15, 2011, 07:43:03 PM
Just type in Mahler Boulez Deutsche Grammophon into the Amazon search engine under music. Boulez has done the lieders, the symphonies, the adagio from the 10th, and Das Lied von der Erde.

It's being listed for 22 Pounds for a single disc. Either of it could be a typo, but so far I've been assuming that this was a recently released disc containing Mahlerian bits and bobs, whatever that was remaining to complete Boulez's Mahler recordings for DG. If it's going to be the whole shebang, I think it would be prudent to pre-order it now.
Regards,
Navneeth

Mirror Image

Quote from: Opus106 on December 15, 2011, 08:41:30 PM
It's being listed for 22 Pounds for a single disc. Either of it could be a typo, but so far I've been assuming that this was a recently released disc containing Mahlerian bits and bobs, whatever that was remaining to complete Boulez's Mahler recordings for DG. If it's going to be the whole shebang, I think it would be prudent to pre-order it now.

I'm pretty sure it's a typo, but I would wait and make sure it is before purchasing. I don't need the set as my Dad (he's the Mahler man in the family) owns all the single releases when they came out.

kishnevi

Having gotten the DG website to co-operate this afternoon, it reveals that there will be a new Boulez release in February, but nothing to do with Mahler beyond the orchestra's name.
http://deutschegrammophon.com/artist/whatscoming?ART_ID=BOUPI

Wagner: the Prelude to Tristan und Isolde
Schoenberg: Pelleas und Melisande

the total playing time for the CD is 51:03.  You think they could have at least plugged on the Liebstod with that amount of time left over.

The orchestra is the Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester.

PaulSC

Just placed my first-ever pre-order at Amazon, for the following two items:

[asin]B005L12SI0[/asin]

[asin]B0064DLG32[/asin]

The Staier box may turn out to be too good to be true. It appears to be a ten-disc set priced at $24.18 — fingers crossed! I have almost-but-not-quite bought several of the individual discs, so it would be great to get such a good deal on the whole set.
Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

mc ukrneal

Quote from: PaulSC on December 21, 2011, 11:23:21 AM
Just placed my first-ever pre-order at Amazon, for the following two items:

[asin]B005L12SI0[/asin]

[asin]B0064DLG32[/asin]

The Staier box may turn out to be too good to be true. It appears to be a ten-disc set priced at $24.18 — fingers crossed! I have almost-but-not-quite bought several of the individual discs, so it would be great to get such a good deal on the whole set.
If you scroll down to the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" section, you will see a number of other sets at the same price (same company), so seems likely everything will be fine.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

PaulSC

Thanks for the reassurance, Neal! I live in hope...

Mirror Image

Two recordings going to be released next year that I'm eagerly anticipating:

[asin]B006BBVLQY[/asin]

Could my eyes be deceiving me? Is this true? Yes, it is. Jan Wagner, for those that don't know, has been an advocate of Latin American music for quite some time releasing, on the Bridge label, two excellent recordings of Ginastera and Villa-Lobos (the only stereo performance of VL's last ballet Emperor Jones). I really hope this begins a series of Latin American works. Being a huge fan of this music, my mouth just waters at all the possibilities of what could happen if this becomes a series. There's still so much early-mid 20th Century Latin music that has yet to be recorded. Can't wait for this release.

[asin]B006BBVLVO[/asin]

This recording already been mentioned earlier by Brian, but I'll mention it again. This has turned out to be an outstanding series and I look forward to this recording.

Brian

PaulSC

Quote from: Brian on December 26, 2011, 09:18:02 AM
February 2012:

A+ typography. (Seriously, the content is enticing too, but the intersecting "Festival/Iván" is mighty ingenious — although perhaps it's been done before?)

madaboutmahler

February 2012:

That should be interesting... never thought of Fischer in terms of Stravinsky...
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

February 2012:

This looks pretty interesting. This will be another one I pick up next year. :)

KeithW

Quote from: jlaurson on December 11, 2011, 05:21:29 AM
It's not a matter of losing, it's a matter of moving on. The two companies have completely different business models... and EMI can do so much more for an artist, beyond issuing CDs. And, not to be underestimated, the artist makes some money recording for EMI. Not so, for Naxos.

Oh, just because I think he is a barely-above-average conducting mediocrity... and he is feted all the same.

And he has just been awarded a knighthood - Sir Antonio Pappano

Lethevich

Oh, now I get it. EMI was indulging in a little British cronyism (I had assumed he was Italian, not Italian-removed) - I previously thought they were just looking for another Muti and settling for second best.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Lisztianwagner

I'm waiting for this release eagerly!
Watching the Neujahrskonzert on TV was definitely wonderful, I'm looking forward to buying the CD :)

[asin]B005OZ4CWS[/asin]
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Lethevich

.[asin]B005MQJPZS[/asin]
This got an almost embarasingly enthusiastic review in IRR, but it did much to attract my attention.

Most curiously, though: I thought that Warner stopped recording classical? Their Serebrier Glazunov series continued just so it could be finished, but this series looks new ???
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.